Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron Man

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    My question is....what happened to Stark, is that piece of energy light considerably his heart? A replacement of his heart? Errr,...if someone undergo such surgery in real life, has it possible? (Of course I'm only curious...I won't do it. Lmao!)
    Going by the comics origin, Stark's heart was threatened by a piece of shrapnel that remained embedded in his flesh, and would kill him if it were ever drawn into his heart. The device is an electromagnet that keeps the shrapnel away from his heart.

In the comics, Tony eventually had surgery (many, many years later) to correct the problem, meaning he no longer depended on the device to keep him alive. It was still important as the power source for the Iron Man armors he built, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Going by the comics origin, Stark's heart was threatened by a piece of shrapnel that remained imbedded in his flesh, and would kill him if it were ever drawn into his heart. The device is an electromagnet that keeps the shrapnel away from his heart.

In the comics, Tony eventually had surgery (many, many years later) to correct the problem, meaning he no longer depended on the device to keep him alive. It was still important as the power source for the Iron Man armors he built, however.
    Ken, thank you for the information. Previously, there was a rumour that they'd get Justin Timberlake to take the Tony Stark role. I'm glad that didn't happen. I may not have an idea of Tony Stark in Iron Man comic, but I think Downey Jr. is the best man for this role.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Ken, thank you for the information. Previously, there was a rumour that they'd get Justin Timberlake to take the Tony Stark role. I'm glad that didn't happen. I may not have an idea of Tony Stark in Iron Man comic, but I think Downey Jr. is the best man for this role.
    The movie did a good job getting at the essence of Stark as a man. Like the movie version, the comics Stark is a bit of an a*shole, but he's an a*shole who's easy to like (if there is any such thing). He's patriotic, politically conservative, and a bit of a snob (he is, after all, very, very rich and very, very smart). He's also got a bit of the Machiavellian in him (he's willing to do what it takes for what he feels to be just and right, even if it means fighting dirty), and has a bit of a ruthless streak (towards evil people). He's also a brave and principled man, as well as a womanizer and a man who finds it hard to resist certain temptations (in the comics, Stark becomes an alcoholic for a time).

As Pepper said in the movie, he's a complicated individual.

The movie did a good job getting at the essence of Stark as a man. Like the movie version, the comics Stark is a bit of an a*shole, but he's an a*shole who's easy to like (if there is any such thing). He's patriotic, politically conservative, and a bit of a snob (he is, after all, very, very rich and very, very smart). He's also got a bit of the Machiavellian in him (he's willing to do what it takes for what he feels to be just and right, even if it means fighting dirty), and has a bit of a ruthless streak (towards evil people). He's also a brave and principled man, as well as a womanizer and a man who finds it hard to resist certain temptations (in the comics, Stark becomes an alcoholic for a time).

As Pepper said in the movie, he's a complicated individual.
    Now, Ken, it's your fault if I would start to collect the series of Iron Man comic . And, looking at the description of Stark, I see why you're a reader of Iron Man. I always prefer Marvel to DC comics.

OT: I like righteous characters but strangely, I was attracted to the extreme villain in Spiderman series, that's - Carnage, a sick mother-son.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Now, Ken, it's your fault if I would start to collect the series of Iron Man comic . And, looking at the description of Stark, I see why you're a reader of Iron Man. I always prefer Marvel to DC comics.

OT: I like righteous characters but strangely, I was attracted to the extreme villain in Spiderman series, that's - Carnage, a sick mother-son.
    The IRON MAN comics of the early 1980s were the best part of the character's history, in my opinion. That's around the time he went through his alcoholic phase.

The cool thing is that Stark International (Tony's company) found its way into so many Marvel books over the years. Half of the other superheroes and law enforcement agencies in the universe depend on Stark tech to function. Guess who provides and services the machinery used by the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Avengers, and S.H.I.E.L.D.? That's right: Stark International. Even if you never read the IRON MAN comic, reading any other Marvel Comic will, sooner or later, bring you into contact with Stark technology. It's ubiquitous in the Marvel Universe.

The IRON MAN comics of the early 1980s were the best part of the character's history, in my opinion. That's around the time he went through his alcoholic phase.

The cool thing is that Stark International (Tony's company) found its way into so many Marvel books over the years. Half of the other superheroes and law enforcement agencies in the universe depend on Stark tech to function. Guess who provides and services the machinery used by the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Avengers, and S.H.I.E.L.D.? That's right: Stark Interntional. Even if you never read the IRON MAN comic, reading any other Marvel Comic will, sooner or later, bring you into contact with Stark technology. It's ubiquitous in the Marvel Universe.
    That's cool! Among the listed other comics, I only know X-men and only for the relationship of the mutants. I know jack about Fantastic Four (but I recognised the title) and the other titles mentioned. It's amazing how Stan Lee could linked them together.

Any titles to recommend, where I could find out about the history of Tony Stark in Iron Man comic?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 05-11-08 at 05:02 AM.

That's cool! Among the listed other comics, I only know X-men and only for the relationship of the mutants. I know jack about Fantastic Four (but I recognised the title) and the other titles mentioned. It's amazing how Stan Lee could linked them together.
    Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were the first superhero comics creators to really use the idea of the "shared universe" to great effect. Before Lee and Kirby really played with this idea during the 1960s, comic book characters teamed up from time to time (usually on an individual basis, but also in teams such as DC's Justice Society of America), but there was very little to no continuity among comics. An event that happened in SUPERMAN, for example, would not be referenced over in BATMAN, even if Superman appeared as a guest in Batman's book. The writers of the individual titles generally didn't communicate much with each other about their projects, at least not to the point where events happening in one writer's book would affect events in the other writer's book.

It was Lee and Kirby who established the idea that if you had Spider-Man attempting to become the fifth member of the Fantastic Five in his comic, then pretty soon, the Thing and the Human Torch will be talking about it in the FANTASTIC FOUR comic. Or, conversely, if the FF and the Silver Surfer tore down some buildings in New York while fighting Galactus, Daredevil might swing over the wreckage while fighting some crooks in his own book the following month.

That's what made the Marvel Universe cool in the 1960s-1980s. DC followed suit and did the same thing with their characters. They're not as good at doing it now as they were during the 1960s-1980s (because the writers don't coordinate with one another as well as they did back then).

Any titles to recommend, where I could find out about the history of Tony Stark in Iron Man comic?
    Start with THE ESSENTIAL IRON MAN, which are huge and inexpensive black-and-white trade paperback collections of the earliest Iron Man stories. Be warned: these stories were written and drawn back in the early 1960s, and have been reprinted in black and white rather than in their original color. It might take some adjustment to get used to the older styles.

Is there a thread in SPCNET that forumies share about Marvel/DC comics? I'm thirsty for more of Marvel action.

When I was reading Maximum Carnage (good consolidation of Carnage's infamous act and quite a rare book, too), they have some guest appearance of Fantastic Four and the couple - Cloak & Dagger.

Thanks, Ken. I'll try to look around for that comic recommended. And, noted for the warning. =)

hit up wikipedia, a good source for this topic.
    when i get bored i would read up on the marvel uni because is just so much more interesting than the DC one. Everything just connects but in larger scales.
    My search from jean grey let me to looking for the most powerful thing in the marvel universe, quite an interesting search. I will let u guys search for it yourself.

i recommend sandman, if ur interested in a comic that connects between different superheroes in the DC world. tells bits and piece of some heroes but the important thing is that the story is just so well writen. i think was by Frank Miller, not too sure and too lazy to wiki it now.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

First thing my friend said to be was, 'They got a drunk to play a drunk!'

Anyway, this has got to be my favourite Superhero film to date. The pacing for this movie is pretty excellent.

With all the Marvel characters coming on film, you'd think they're gearing up for a Civil War trilogy... though the cost of hiring all the respective actors will be astronomical...
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

I saw the movie a couple of days ago and have to say that i was not disappointed. I really enjoyed the show. I thought the movie had some very funny parts in it especially the part when he was trying out his new suit and the little fire extinguisher incident was very funny. I also liked the ending when he admits he's Iron Man.

Awesome movie! I'm really amazed on the cinematography, special effects,costumes, and ost....

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by MrIllusion View Post
    First thing my friend said to be was, 'They got a drunk to play a drunk!'

Anyway, this has got to be my favourite Superhero film to date. The pacing for this movie is pretty excellent.

With all the Marvel characters coming on film, you'd think they're gearing up for a Civil War trilogy... though the cost of hiring all the respective actors will be astronomical...
    No worry, the drunkard plot will be in the 2nd movie (2010) along with the Mandarin and War Machine. Stark has cameo in Hulk 2008. Then there is the Thor movie (2010), Captain America movie (2011) and the whole team assembled in Iron Man 3 for the Avengers plot line (maybe the Director Of Shield/Civil War/Secret Invasion-Skrull War plot line - just my fanboy guess ). This is confirmed by Marvel Studio.
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 06-10-08 at 11:18 PM.

Saw it. Fantastic movie with a fantastic lead. I didn't really like Downey before but I was totally charmed by this middle-aged goatie here. Didn't really like Paltrow before but she's pretty good in here too. Clever dialogues, great story-telling, red hot robo suit and a glowing heart pumping throughout the story... A movie deserves an A when everything works in it.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    No worry, the drunkard plot will be in the 2nd movie (2010) along with the Mandarin and War Machine. Stark has cameo in Hulk 2008. Then there is the Thor movie (2010), Captain America movie (2011) and the whole team assembled in Iron Man 3 for the Avengers plot line (maybe the Director Of Shield/Civil War/Secret Invasion-Skrull War plot line - just my fanboy guess ). This is confirmed by Marvel Studio.
    OMG! Marvel heroes action lining up to be on screen!This is Wunderbar!!!

OMG! Marvel heroes action lining up to be on screen!This is Wunderbar!!!
    Now if DC could only get cranking with movies featuring heroes other than Batman and Superman...

Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam...all of them should have their cinematic turns.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

i like this movie. the jokes in the beginning was funny. didn't really like the ending battle; didn't seem as spectacular as the rest of the movie. i thought the cgi and the computer he used to create the iron man suit was cool. this is so far my favorite marvel movie.

I saw this movie just a couple of days ago and I really enjoyed it.

Afterwards I watched the deleted scenes that were taken out of the original movie. Some of the clips were funny but I think including them in would have slowed the pace down a bit.
    Have you learned to love one another?

Fantastic movie.

Being a fan of the comic series, I must say that this movie was really very impressive.
    No links to download sites at these forums - the Moderators