Thread: Would L/R technique allow 4 styles if used with legs?

Default Would L/R technique allow 4 styles if used with legs?

So, if ZBT or XLN laid on on the floor (or was hanging from a rope tied to their backs) would they be able to use 4 Different Martial Arts styles at the same time?

Or if you add in head butting, 5 attacks?

Sure why not. You just end up with a mobility of zero.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Sure why not. You just end up with a mobility of zero.

Well, you could hop around on alternate legs/limbs.

Here's some bits from LOCH chapter 17:
    "After watching Zhou Botong fight himself for a moment Guo Jing commented, “Big Brother, why don’t you use your feet too?”

Zhou Botong halted and smiled, “Not a bad observation! You could see through my moves."
    --------------------------------------------

“We will play as though four people were fighting each other,” Zhou Botong replied.

“Four people?” Guo Jing was perplexed.

“Absolutely,” Zhou Botong said. “Four people! My left hand is one person, my right the other and your pair of hands are the two other people. Four separate individuals and nobody helps anybody. Four people in a tangled battle! That should be more interesting.”

Guo Jing’s interest was piqued. “It certainly is interesting; too bad I cannot separate my left and right hands,” he smiled as he said it.

“I mean to teach you that later,” Zhou Botong said. “For now, let us just have a three-way fight.” His hands made two people and attacked Guo Jing immediately. He separated himself into two different entities and each hand launched a different stance. They did not complement each other and it was completely different to one person using two hands. When his left hand was giving Guo Jing a hard time, his right hand would come to Guo Jing’s rescue. Likewise when his right was gaining the upper hand, his left fought his right. When Guo Jing gained the upper hand, Botong’s hands would fight together like two people facing one opponent. In short, it was like three separate individuals fighting with each other. After fighting for a while they stopped for a rest."

It seems likely old ZBT could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    So, if ZBT or XLN laid on on the floor (or was hanging from a rope tied to their backs) would they be able to use 4 Different Martial Arts styles at the same time?

Or if you add in head butting, 5 attacks?
    Hmm...well, we do know that Yang Guo could use his chest and stomach to attack, so it's not too far fetched, in theory, that ZBT or XLN would use other parts of their body as well...
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

That's not the same thing at all. Using different parts of the body to attack is done all the time. From OYF biting HYS's finger, to YG using his chest to ZWJ using his butt (IIRC). This is simply unorthodox but nothing terribly special when it comes down to it.

L/R on the other hand isn't simply using different parts of the body to attack but actually separating the mind. The implications of using L/R for both the feet and arms is actually dividing the mind into 4 and each controlling their allotted portion of the body independently.

Joking aside, this is only fine for the arms because the arms don't have to cooperate to perform their primary duties. This isn't true of the legs. The very act of moving requires the two legs to act as one unit.

That isn't to say it's not possible with training though. For instance, even in a three-legged race, the two people can run very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Joking aside, this is only fine for the arms because the arms don't have to cooperate to perform their primary duties. This isn't true of the legs. The very act of moving requires the two legs to act as one unit.

That isn't to say it's not possible with training though. For instance, even in a three-legged race, the two people can run very fast.
    i would imagine it would be possible depending on what skills you are performing. perhaps 2 kicking skills + two hand skills may work? though that would require a lot of body distortion (but then again, the entire L/R suggests that body distortion is needed)

I think at a push you could have the 2 arms and one leg but really that is about it for simultaneous attack. You have to have "foundation" for your attacks. It is arguable that L/R couldn't actually work in reality because you upper body must be supported by the actions of your lower body - your stance/horse.

Chrono, I'm aware of what you were saying. My point was that if you can use different parts of your body to attack, then so long as you can use the L/R technique, then theoretically, you can use different techniques with any part of your body, including your legs.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Ah, okay then. L/R is certainly more flexible than simply using two techniques at once. The ability to think two lines at once is rather incredible if there's really no slowdown as it is implied.

Especially since both "minds" actually have full control of the entire body (but not each component at the same time).