Thread: Sing Kwun's ability to infiltrate Shaolin and other wulin sects.

Default Sing Kwun's ability to infiltrate Shaolin and other wulin sects.

Sing Kwun's martial arts skills during HSDS were quite formidable, but unlike most wuxia villains, he was not powerful enough to threaten the hero via superior martial arts skills. By the time Sing Kwun revealed himself as the mastermind villain and confronted Cheung Mo Gei, Sing's martial arts level was significantly lower than Cheung's, and would never approach Cheung's level.

Sing Kwun's true threat lay in his ability to scheme and plot...and to infiltrate his agents into wulin's most powerful sects. His own identity as Yeun Jen the Shaolin monk was the cornerstone of his grand conspiracy, but what's amazing is the extent to which Sing Kwun was able to place moles into a number of major wulin sects. He was hardly alone at Shaolin: how many of the monks in the temple were his men? He also had a man on the inside with the Beggar's Union (Chan Yau Leung). It wouldn't even surprise me if Sing Kwun had people inside Mo Dong Sect, Ngor Mei Sect, Kunlun Sect, Hung Dung Sect...perhaps even the Ming Cult.

How did Sing Kwun manage to recruit all these people and infiltrate them into Shaolin (and perhaps other sects)? He had the backing of the Yuan Dynasty (specifically Prince Chagan Temur), but many of Sing Kwun's operations he plotted out and saw through with minimal contributions from his Yuan allies.

I don't think Cheng Kun had much men under him.

The one and only personnel that I could recall was Chen Youliang.

Cheng Kun was clever and scheming, but not exactly that good if we compare him to people like Madam Ma.
    ..ext88

Yea i don't think hes got any more men except for CYL.

It is possible that he had some control of Ruyang Wangfu's forces before Zhao Min came to power.

OK, HSDS '86 might have been making stuff up, but didn't Sing Kwun have a flunky on the inside who tried to assassinate a young Cheung Mo Gei when Cheung 3 Fung brought the boy to Shaolin to find a cure for his Yeun Ming Divine Palm poisoning? Wasn't Hung Seung, the false monk who later injured Cheung 3 Fung, one of Sing Kwun's men? Also, didn't Sing Kwun have a whole crew of monks who helped him set up the capture of the remaining Hung-generation monks near the end of HSDS, and whom he ordered to burn Shaolin Temple to the ground if all else failed? Sing Kwun certainly wasn't running around trying to do all this by his little lonesome, was he?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    OK, HSDS '86 might have been making stuff up, but didn't Sing Kwun have a flunky on the inside who tried to assassinate a young Cheung Mo Gei when Cheung 3 Fung brought the boy to Shaolin to find a cure for his Yeun Ming Divine Palm poisoning? Wasn't Hung Seung, the false monk who later injured Cheung 3 Fung, one of Sing Kwun's men? Also, didn't Sing Kwun have a whole crew of monks who helped him set up the capture of the remaining Hung-generation monks near the end of HSDS, and whom he ordered to burn Shaolin Temple to the ground if all else failed? Sing Kwun certainly wasn't running around trying to do all this by his little lonesome, was he?
    I <3 HSDS as much as anybody else, but I think they were making stuff up:

1. As far as I can recall, no flunky. What motivated C3F to take Cheung Mo Gei out of Shaolin differs from edition to edition (I think) but it wasn't because a flunky tried to kill the kiddo
    2. Hung Seung was NOT a monk from the inside of Shaolin. Not much is explained about him, but I believe it was left to the reader to infer that the Mongolians dressed a top fighter up and sent him to Mo Dong
    3. As for the third event: That I really, really can't remember! Can somebody help me here? Thanks.
    Gee, this reminds me of a previous discussion we've had, Mr. Cheng... j/k!!
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by dewyloony123 View Post
    [*]Hung Seung was NOT a monk from the inside of Shaolin. Not much is explained about him, but I believe it was left to the reader to infer that the Mongolians dressed a top fighter up and sent him to Mo Dong
    Kong Xiang was Ah San's martial brother, hence a disciple of the Diamond school offshoot of Shaolin that was founded by the kitchen worker. The external skills of that school were the Shaolin external skills that the kitchen worker had observed and mastered.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Kong Xiang was Ah San's martial brother, hence a disciple of the Diamond school offshoot of Shaolin that was founded by the kitchen worker. The external skills of that school were the Shaolin external skills that the kitchen worker had observed and mastered.
    Ah, mea culpa!
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

cheng kun pretended to be full of remorse and become a monk under kong jian. kong jian taught him his martial arts sincerly because he taught he had only made a mistake and was sincre in making amends. he knew cheng kun spared xie xun's life three times when they fought so he was taken in by cheng kun. he never realised cheng kun wanted xie xun to live to cause trouble in wulin. after kong jian died, cheng kun joined up with the mongolians in order to destroy ming jiao. he took chen youliang as his disiple but did not have many other subordinates. in one adaption, cheng kun had captured some of the kong generation monks and blackmailed the other monks to follow his orders, and he took several unordotox members as his disiples to attack the sects when they arrived for the 'kill the lion' meet. but i don't know if it happened in the novel as well or only in the adaption.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

To facilitate his plot at the end of HSDS, Sing Kwun needed some men to help him hold Shaolin Chief Abbot Hung Wan hostage while he unfolded his plot to eliminate...everyone. If he didn't have people on the inside at Shaolin, how did he pull this off? He couldn't have done it all by himself.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

i read the novel fully now. cheng kun took several unorthodox gang/bandits members as his disciples. because of shaolin's reputation, people where always turning up hoping to be accepted but only those with good character were accepted and those bad egg types were turned away. cheng kun accepted those fellows and trained them near the temple. he brought them in secretly when he was ready to make his move.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/