View Poll Results: Based on overall production quality, which adaptation of LOCH is your favourite?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • TVB's LOCH '82 (Felix Wong, Barbara Yung)

53 55.79%
  • TVB's LOCH '95 (Julian Cheung, Athena Chu)

10 10.53%
  • Mainland's LOCH '03 (Li Yapeng, Zhou Xun)

32 33.68%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The LOCH adaptation debate

Default The LOCH adaptation debate

As per redfirefly124's request...
    Hehehe...we should make one up, we talk about it almost everywhere...although I'm guessing most people would agree with you...
    I am creating a thread on this popular topic, just so redfirefly124 and I don't start going off-topic on any thread. I realize there are way more editions of LOCH, but here we're sticking to the three most popular:

- LOCH '82 (TVB), starring Felix Wong, Barbara Yung, Miu Kai Wai, and Yeung Pan Pan
    - LOCH '95 (TVB), starring Julian Cheung, Athena Chu, Gallen Lo, and Emily Kwan
    - LOCH '03 (Mainland), starring Li Yapeng, Zhou Xun, Zhou Jie ( sorry, I couldn't help it), and Shui Ling

The poll above is for overall production quality, but of course debates about individual aspects such as casting or effects are welcome

Oh yes, I must add that while making this poll I noticed an option called "Disable smilies in text" which would've helped out a lot during my Fave Taiwanese Actress poll, instead of me ending up with these weird names that looked like (安以轩)
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky

- LOCH '82 (TVB), starring Felix Wong, Barbara Yung, Miu Kai Wai, and Yeung Pan Pan
    - LOCH '03 (Mainland), starring Li Yapeng, Zhou Xun, Zhou Jie ( sorry, I couldn't help it), and Shui Ling
    Why do you not like the 03 version?

I can't choose! I like all of them! But, if I was forced to pick, I would say the 03 version. ZX was a great HR, she wasn't beautiful at first look, but she was charming once you see her for a period of time. LYP was buff and dumb looking. And I think that's how GJ is suppose to look. He's not suppose to be handsome. The other two versions, I really like Barbara and Athena. Really gorgeous IMO.

Well, I'm sure everyone knows which I voted for.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995
    But, if I was forced to pick, I would say the 03 version. ZX was a great HR, she wasn't beautiful at first look, but she was charming once you see her for a period of time. LYP was buff and dumb looking. And I think that's how GJ is suppose to look. He's not suppose to be handsome.
    YEAH! A LOCH 03 supporter!
    This was a very good idea, Sparky...
    Anyways, I think I'll quote some of my previous posts about LOCH versions once some more people post and vote.
    More later!
    ~redfirefly124
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

Why do you not like the 03 version?
    Well, I guess I can live with the 03 version (I'd rate it about 3/5) but I just don't think it has an edge over the past adaptations, except in terms of technology/effects and scenery. However, I had to put a after Zhou Jie because Li Yapeng was okay as Guo Jing, Zhou Xun I could live with except her voice bugged me at the beginning, Shui Ling was good as Mu Nianci, but Zhou Jie as Yang Kang? Miu Kai Wai had way more charisma!
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by redfirefly124
    Well, I'm sure everyone knows which I voted for.

YEAH! A LOCH 03 supporter!
    This was a very good idea, Sparky...
    Anyways, I think I'll quote some of my previous posts about LOCH versions once some more people post and vote.
    More later!
    ~redfirefly124

Yeah, but I still didn't vote. I like the other two versions too. It's just that the 03 version is the latest one I've seen and the one most fresh in my memory.

Yeah, but I still didn't vote. I like the other two versions too. It's just that the 03 version is the latest one I've seen and the one most fresh in my memory.
    Well, thats okay, at least I know someone else likes LOCH 03 the best (even if it is by a little).

Oh yes, I must add that while making this poll I noticed an option called "Disable smilies in text" which would've helped out a lot during my Fave Taiwanese Actress poll, instead of me ending up with these weird names that looked like (安以轩)
    You could also have avoided that by spacing the parentheses and Chinese characters, like this: ( 安以轩 )

More on the thread topic, this is how I felt a couple of years ago and my opinions haven't changed since then.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 02-07-07 at 10:49 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

As per redfirefly124's request...

I am creating a thread on this popular topic, just so redfirefly124 and I don't start going off-topic on any thread. I realize there are way more editions of LOCH, but here we're sticking to the three most popular:

I would definitely go for LOCH82. Felix and Barbara are the best artists ever. I really like their chemistry in this series. LOCH82 and The Foundation are my all time favorite series ever. No series can compare to those two for me..... For the people haven't watch The Foundation, you should try it out. It is a must see series...... Cantonese song sounded better than mandarine even though I don't understand either.
    http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg
    The Golden Five Tigers of the 80s are the best wuxia artists ever!

well, if you compare purely by cast, LOCH 82 wins over LOCH 02 anyday. ZX was ok as HR, the voice was annoying though. LYP acted like a retard- GJ is dumb, but he's not retarded. Zhou Jie was oh-so-charming and charismatic too... seriously, MKW is sooo much more charismatic. Shui Ling was ok.

Barbara, Felix are awesome- there's nothing to say.

I often think Yang Pan Pan (?) gets overlooked (she's the one that plays Mu Nian Ci in 82, i think... maybe it's the wrong name). She also did an amazing job. People don't find her attractive, but i think she is attractive in an "ancient" way and she suited the role perfectly. First time round i didn't appreciate her acting, but second time round, i really did enjoy her performance.

I'd give LOCH a 3.5/5 in comparison to my other ratings.

To be fair, i didn't finish watching LOCH 94. I didn't like GJ there, and Athena was ok, but i preferred Barbara. MNC and YK there were both absolutely horrible
    Last edited by 0-0-0; 02-08-07 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    well, if you compare purely by cast, LOCH 82 wins over LOCH 02 anyday. ZX was ok as HR, the voice was annoying though. LYP acted like a retard- GJ is dumb, but he's not retarded. Zhou Jie was oh-so-charming and charismatic too... seriously, MKW is sooo much more charismatic. Shui Ling was ok.

Barbara, Felix are awesome- there's nothing to say.

I often think Yang Pan Pan (?) gets overlooked (she's the one that plays Mu Nian Ci in 82, i think... maybe it's the wrong name). She also did an amazing job. People don't find her attractive, but i think she is attractive in an "ancient" way and she suited the role perfectly. First time round i didn't appreciate her acting, but second time round, i really did enjoy her performance.

I'd give LOCH a 3.5/5 in comparison to my other ratings.

To be fair, i didn't finish watching LOCH 94. I didn't like GJ there, and Athena was ok, but i preferred Barbara. MNC and YK there were both absolutely horrible
    I actually enjoy the slow hand to hand combat with little special effect like LOCH82 and THe Foundation. I really dislike the super speed fight with too much special effect. Sometime, the hero can beat his opponent without any hand fight, just simply use his special power. Special effect is over use in most of mainland series.....
    For LOCH82, the sceneries is very ordinary and special effect is very limited. For that two aspects, mainland is better. For me, I don't care about sceneries and special effect... Ancient series of TVB during the 80s still my all times favorite........

About voice, I watch the vietnamese language dub version. Some of the dub of the 80s are good and many are very bad.... The dub of recent series is better than during the 80s. However, I don't judge the series based on voices since they not the real voice of the artists. However, the voices can be very annoying sometimes, but I can live with it even though some of them are very bad......
    Last edited by PeterBanh; 02-08-07 at 06:29 AM.
    http://www.cohongmusic.com/ProductImages/movie/dvd/tvbi/huongthanhlangtu.jpg
    The Golden Five Tigers of the 80s are the best wuxia artists ever!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBanh
    About voice, I watch the vietnamese language dub version. Some of the dub of the 80s are good and many are very bad.... The dub of recent series is better than during the 80s. However, I don't judge the series based on voices since they not the real voice of the artists. However, the voices can be very annoying sometimes, but I can live with it even though some of them are very bad......
    i watched all of mine in mandarin- so dubbed for 82 and 94. The dubbing was alright though.

When it comes to background scenery, TVB is always going to lose out to China and even Taiwan because, well, Hong Kong is geographically a very small place. Therefore, the choice of shooting locations is always going to be rather limited. There's just no way that tiny little Hong Kong is going to offer the full breadth of shooting locations that mainland China does.

That doesn't mean, however, that the few Hong Kong locations that TVB used to shoot its outdoor scenes didn't work or weren't beautiful. At least into the 1980s, much of the surrounding countryside and coastal areas around Hong Kong still retained great natural beauty, as can be seen in the background shots of TVB's TV series up until the end of the 1980s (urban development has taken away the beauty of some of these areas in the years since). The locations weren't ineffective or unattractive, but they were limited: the same locations had to be used many times due to a lack of alternatives. They could get monotonous, but they were hardly unappealing.

Moreover, TVB was able to accomplish a great deal with its limited resources in those days. It's not how vast one's resources are, but how much heart one puts into making the product work. TVB had less to work with back in the 1970s and 1980s than China does today, but TVB made the most of its limited resources back then, and it showed.

loch 82...good chemistry between the cast members and for the most part, everyone looked their part. enough said.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    loch 82...good chemistry between the cast members and for the most part, everyone looked their part. enough said.
    The great cast alone for the Greats in LOCH82 wins my vote.

I have to admit that:
    -greats in LOCH 83 were really good
    -Zhou Jie was pretty bad (have you noticed that he always makes his eyes really big, and then looks even more like an alien than usual?), especially after Bao Xi Ruo died and he was like "MOM! MOM!"

More later, no time now.

Okay, here's some links for people who have not read Sparky and I debating yet...
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...le+Performance
    THIS PAGE of Hu Ge's thread:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...562#post650562
    Umm...can't think of more, although there probably is.

Ready to debate, Sparky?

Quote Originally Posted by redfirefly124
    -Zhou Jie was pretty bad (have you noticed that he always makes his eyes really big, and then looks even more like an alien than usual?), especially after Bao Xi Ruo died and he was like "MOM! MOM!"
    Zhou Jie...the decline of the Yang Kang's...Miu Kai Wai was so charismatic, Gallen Lo was not very good but I could live with him, and Zhou Jie was just a miscast. It's not like there aren't good-looking people to play Yang Kang, who was supposed to be good-looking! But I think the comparison between the Yang Kang's is even more obvious than between the Huang Rong's.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://cimg.163.com/movie/0304/12/yk.jpg')
    Zhou Jie's amazing Yang Kang...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img04.21cn.com/2006/07/03/5836747.jpg')
    Miu Kai Wai/Miao Qiaowei

I personally like LOCH 82 best because of the casting, not just for the main characters (all four of which were the best out of the three most popular adaptations), but also the supporting characters.

Zhou Jie was...um...inappropriate for the role. Didn't like him in HZGG, hated him in LOCH. He was just REALLY ANNOYING. I mean, he has the "arrogant jerk" look, but he just didn't pull it off. I love your use of sarcasm, Sparky.
    I hope Yuan Hong can put on a spectacular performance, and improve the name of Chinese JY Series.

I really like the LoCH 2003 version. I think overall it was really good, only a few things I didn't like... one of them being Zhou Jie from HZGG acting as Yang Kang.
    Other than that nothing else bothered me much. Every now and then a few discrepancies, but I like it.
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Oooh, how to choose...

82 - best supporting cast (especially the greats and the seven freaks), best soundtrack, best GJ and YK, but draggy non-canon subplots (too much filler scenes, dragged-out scenes so they could fit a song here and there), and sadly, very dated by today's standards. Fighting choreography was inferior to some older 70s productions and they started using some very cheesy special effects.

94 - best HR (for me. Chirpy, beautiful, energetic and yet not annoying), decent GJ, effects and fighting choreography up a few notches from 82, decent supporting cast, decent soundtrack, but terrible ZBT, MNC, weak HYS (Lok Ying Kwan looks nothing like that part - he needed a beard really badly), and it felt a little rushed at times.

03 - best MNC, decent GJ and HR, passable YK (for me, anyway), very good soundtrack, wonderful scenery, good supporting cast especially the seven freaks and ZBT, superior cinematography (QCJ vs 7 Freaks at the restaurant was completely beyond anything I had ever seen in 82 and 94), but had slightly overused special effects, a bit of a lame ending final fight, rather weak greats (ZBT excepted).

I really can't decide - all three were wonderful. If I want to be entertained, I'd watch 94. If I wanted to go down memory lane and go deeper into the characters (or at least the director's interpretation of them) I'd watch 82. On the overall, however, if we're comparing apples with apples as at today's standards, it's impossible to compare either with the quality of 03, though. The only TVB Golden 80s Jin Yong serial which still leads the competition by miles is Duke of Mount Deer (due to a total lack of need for good fighting choreography, outdoor scenery, epic-style scenes and special effects) and somehow I don't think that one will ever be beaten. The rest were all good, and if compared using a "when released" scenario might be able to win a few, but only the most nostalgic would consider them excellent by today's standards. Even the picture quality is already a letdown.

My vote goes (barely) to 03.