Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which Asian singers have the best singing tone?

Singing tone or voice is purely subjective. Not everyone is going to agree that one singer has the best singing tone or w/e.

Personally, I love Jane Zhang, Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Leehom's tones.

Cedric mentioned Anita Mui earlier in the thread. check out this old performance clip from the 1980s. Anita Mui was one of those rarest of creatures in Asian popular music: an all out ROCK star.

Actually singing tone depends on individual likes..

I personally prefer Jam Hsiao, Anthony Neely, Jane Zhang, 小宇, Adele and Maroon 5!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Cedric mentioned Anita Mui earlier in the thread. check out this old performance clip from the 1980s. Anita Mui was one of those rarest of creatures in Asian popular music: an all out ROCK star.
    I'll raise you a Momoe Yamaguchi.

Rock n Roll Widow
    Legendary Phoenix (live, final concert)
    Playback Part 2
    Zettai Zetsumei

Sony seem to keep taking down her live performances, so I can't currently find her performances of Rock n Roll Widow and Zettai Zetsumei from her final concert, which I regard as the definitive versions. Her performance of Rock n Roll Widow in particular is IMO the best rock style performance by any Asian artist. Instead, here are some pretty good covers in that style of some of her songs.

Rock n Roll Widow
    Imitation Gold
    Rock n Roll Widow
    Last edited by pannonian; 02-27-13 at 12:15 PM.

Been listening to another of the Japanese kayokyoku greats, Hiromi Iwasaki. Started off as a pop singer with probably the best singing ability of the female singers from that period (nowadays regarded as the golden age of Japanese pop music), and eventually moved into TV themes and stage musicals. Still singing today, without the clear bellow of old that was probably her trademark, but still wonderful. Also, one of the very few to have covered a Momoe Yamaguchi song and improved on the original. Anita Mui was arguably another with her version of Arigatou Anata, but then she sang a song by 16 year old Momoe which the 18 year old Momoe was incomparably better at, whereas Hiromi sang a song by 19 year old Momoe which was better than any performance of it by Momoe.

Studio:
    Azayaka na bamen (A vivid scene, 1978)
    Mirai (Future, 1976)
    Madonna tachi no lullaby (A lullaby for madonna, 1982)
    Cinderella honeymoon (1978)
    Watashi tachi (Me and you, b-side to Romance, 1975)
    Shishuuki (Praying for autumn, 1977)

And this is where she was at her best, live:
    Azayaka na bamen (younger)
    Azayaka na bamen (older)
    Madonna tachi no lullaby (1983)
    Cinderella honeymoon (early)
    Watashi tachi (1980)
    Shishuuki (1977)
    Medley (Romance, Cinderella honeymoon, 1981)
    Medley (Nijuu saimae, Nijuushou, Sentimental, Mirai, Fantasy, Nettaigyo, Watashi tachi, 1982)
    Medley (Sentimental, Mirai, Fantasy, Watashi tachi, 1983)

To me it's Rain, his voice gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. He is very sweet in person (as far as I understood from his interviews) and he is so nice. His performances are perfectly made and I think he is outstanding performer.

Possibly the best Asian singer I've encountered yet in terms of technique and tone. Tsubasa, by Minako Honda. The famous "long note" is even clearer in this live performance. In addition to her pop songs, where she could give Mariah Carey a run for her money, she's also known for her later career as a classical singer, in particular her rendition of Amazing Grace, although she also gives a mightily impressive soprano version of Nessun Dorma at the end of this, AFAIK her last broadcasted performance.

I like Anggun from Indonesia and Regine Velasquez from the Philippines