Thread: HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT Zhong Wanchou

Default HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT Zhong Wanchou

Thanks to Huang Yushi's blissful translation, I now have a new favorite nickname in wuxia -- HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT Zhong Wanchou!

Question: In the 2nd edition, Zhong Wanchou's nickname is OVERLORD OF THE STALLION, whereas in the 1st and 3rd editions it's HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT instead. So why is it that in the 2nd edition chapter 44, when Zhong Ling showed up, Jin Yong said Zhong Wanchou's nickname is HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT? Is this a known mistake?

2nd edition Chapter 44:
    她父亲“见人就刹”钟万仇,和段誉之父段正淳结下深仇...
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I think both nicknames were heard in DGSD '81, but I might be remembering wrong.

"He Who Kills Others At Sight" might be an example of "Nickname That Doesn't Fit" for Chung Man Sau, PJ. He hated the guts of Deun Jing Tsun and everybody associated with him, but overall, my impression of Chung was that he was normally a fairly jovial, personable guy when he wasn't hating on the Deuns. He had a hot temper, but didn't seem like the sort who'd lop off the heads of random strangers who don't offend him.

a cooler name will be that guy in duke of mount deer... "one sword no blood"
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Thanks to Huang Yushi's blissful translation, I now have a new favorite nickname in wuxia -- HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT Zhong Wanchou!

Question: In the 2nd edition, Zhong Wanchou's nickname is OVERLORD OF THE STALLION, whereas in the 1st and 3rd editions it's HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT instead. So why is it that in the 2nd edition chapter 44, when Zhong Ling showed up, Jin Yong said Zhong Wanchou's nickname is HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT? Is this a known mistake?

2nd edition Chapter 44:
    她父亲“见人就刹”钟万仇,和段誉之父段正淳结下深仇...
    It's either:
    (a) JY honestly wanted to change Zhong Wanchou's nickname in the 2nd ed, but forgot to fix it in Chapter 44;
    OR (b) JY made a mistake in Chapter 2 of the 2nd ed by calling Zhong Wanchou the "Overlord of Stallions".

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I think both nicknames were heard in DGSD '81, but I might be remembering wrong.

"He Who Kills Others At Sight" might be an example of "Nickname That Doesn't Fit" for Chung Man Sau, PJ. He hated the guts of Deun Jing Tsun and everybody associated with him, but overall, my impression of Chung was that he was normally a fairly jovial, personable guy when he wasn't hating on the Deuns. He had a hot temper, but didn't seem like the sort who'd lop off the heads of random strangers who don't offend him.
    Zhong Wanchou was portrayed as rather cowardly when it came to matters relating to Duan Zhengchun in the 1982 TVB adaptation as well as the 2004 China one (these are the only two that I've seen).

However, he did not come across as that cowardly in the 2nd edition of the novel, even in the chapter that he was introduced to readers and went whining after Gan Baobao when she left to save Zhong Ling.

In the 1st edition where he was first called HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT, things were quite different. The entire scene where he was introduced was completely different from the 2nd/3rd editons. And it was in this scene that he actually lived up to his fearsome nickname.

One of these days, when I have a bit more time on my hands, I'll put together something about this chap whose character got unfortunately watered down in the 2nd/3rd editions. (I'm kinda swamped with work at the moment).

HYS

PS: I've developed a better impression of Zhong Wanchou after reading about him in the 1st ed. Now, I wish JY hadn't replaced the entire scene with what we now have in the 2nd/3rd ed, without changing Zhong's original nickname.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 05-22-08 at 10:51 AM. Reason: PS
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    It's either:
    (a) JY honestly wanted to change Zhong Wanchou's nickname in the 2nd ed, but forgot to fix it in Chapter 44;
    OR (b) JY made a mistake in Chapter 2 of the 2nd ed by calling Zhong Wanchou the "Overlord of Stallions".
    I think a) is more likely, b/c OVERLORD OF THE STALLION is mentioned several times throughout the novel, whereas HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT is mentioned only in chapter 44.

"Overlord of the Stallion" (it was literally more like "Horse King God") was also the appellative for Hon Bo Kui (Gong Nam Freak # 3) from LOCH. I'm wondering if Jin Yong wanted to use "He Who Kills At Sight" for Chung as to preserve "Overlord of the Stallion" for Hon Bo Kui.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    "Overlord of the Stallion" (it was literally more like "Horse King God") was also the appellative for Hon Bo Kui (Gong Nam Freak # 3) from LOCH. I'm wondering if Jin Yong wanted to use "He Who Kills At Sight" for Chung as to preserve "Overlord of the Stallion" for Hon Bo Kui.
    Another thing is that Zhong Wanchou had nothing to do with horses whereas Freak # 3 was passionate about horses.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    Another thing is that Zhong Wanchou had nothing to do with horses whereas Freak # 3 was passionate about horses.
    Well, Zhong Wanchou did have a face like a horse's.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

He also wore a turban in the mainland adaptation. Should his new nickname be "Turban Head"?

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    He also wore a turban in the mainland adaptation. Should his new nickname be "Turban Head"?
    The mainland adaption could call him that since they made him a turban-wearing old man, but since that wasn't in the novel (at least I don't think it is), it would make no sense to give him that name canonically.

I have a certain respect for Chung Man Sau. Although the guy wasn't above dirty tactics and was basically a mindless brute (he and Divine Crocodile were two peas in a pod), his absolute devotion to his wife Gum Bo Bo deserves her affection much more than does that philanderer, Prince Deun Jing Tsun.