Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review : On Air

Talking Review : On Air

Title : On Air
    Cast :
    Park Yong Ha - The director
    Song Yoon Ah - The hysterical script writer
    Kim Ha Nul - The *****y superstar "actress" Oh Seung Ha who cannot act.
    Lee Bum Soo - The only honest and ethical agent in business
    Synopse : A drama about making a drama.

Review : This is a pretty unusual series, a drama about making a drama. This series shows a detailed behind the curtain look of Korean drama industry, by following the entire precess of making a drama, from conceptualization to funding, casting, actual production, and how the production winds down. Watching this drama answers questions like,

- Why Korean "actresses" are *****y, cannot act, and prefer to shoot commercials over dramas.
    - How two actresses who exhibit close friendship on carama are in fact pulling each other's hair out off camera.
    - Why Korean dramas often take place in foreign locale, all paid for by the foreign government.
    - Where they find people like Daniel Henney and Dennis O'Neal.
    - Why Korean drama's runtime isn't fixed and can vary per episode.
    - The pay rate of stars and script writers, and production cost(roughly $300K per episode for average drama to $1 million+ for a few blockbusters).
    - How the storyline can change the day before the episode airs, including the ending.
    - The shady nature of talent agency and how there is like only one good man out of whole industry.
    - Why Korean dramas tend to be formulatic and lack creativity.(The script writer blames TV viwers).
    - Why Korean dramas drag.
    - Why Korean men drink every night, to escape stress from crazed women like the actress and script writer of the drama.

The realism of this drama is enhanced by the fact that all the characters have their real life counterparts. The hystetical script writer in the drama is based on the script writer herself(No, the real life script writer doesn't look like Song Yun Ah but I am sure she is hysterical like the script writer in the drama), so are the director, actresses, production staff, and shady agents. The biggest controversy was obviously whom the *****y superstar actress character Oh Seung Ha was modeled after. Actress Kim Ha Nul can deny it was her since she played the character, most suspect it was Son Ye Jin(Summer Scent, April Snow) based on industry reputation and gossip. Kim Hee Sun, another favorite suspect, was almost certainly not the model of Oh Seung Ha since her actual name and image is used in this drama and she wouldn't have given the permission to do so if it was her. Son Ye Jin is the only actress who has gone in public to deny she is the real-life model of Oh Seung Ha, but nobody buys her denial because of her ill reputation. It is this educational value and realism of this drama that makes it worth watching.

As for the drama itself, it's so so and pretty average, nothing much to write about in terms of plot. But once again, it's the ultra-realism of this drama that's the real draw. Strongly recommended for the educational value alone.

Wow, Son Ye Jin is difficult to work with? Is she a diva? In what ways?

She looks really sweet on films and very demure in interviews.

Wow, Son Ye Jin is difficult to work with? Is she a diva? In what ways?
    Watch On Air and you will see what Son Ye Jin's like off camera. Son Ye Jin has the worst reputation in the industry for a good reason. Kim Tae Hee's rumored to be almost as bad as Son Ye Jin.

Generally, top-ranking actresses have ill reputation. The rare exceptions are Ha Ji Won(production staff love her because of her friendly personality and professionalism) and Yi Yonug Ae. Song Yun Ah(The script writer in this drama) also enjoys a good reputation.

She looks really sweet on films and very demure in interviews.
    She's acting out the fake persona created by her management agency on camera, of course.
    Last edited by JonDoe; 05-26-08 at 11:31 AM.

Wow, newsflash to me that Son Ye Jin is difficult to work with... but then again, I don't follow K-pop entertainment closely enough to have all the juicy gossips . She looks pretty and so demure, onscreen and interviews. Based on some of the dramas I watched with her, I think she's a decent actress and quite likable. If rumors are true... .

I've liked Song Yun Ah since Hotelier. Happy to know she has the personality to go with her fame.

JonDoe - thank you for the brief summary. Appreciate the review. I do like to request a favor. Since I am most likely not going to catch this drama, can you spill more of the realistic details in the drama?

1. Why would foreign govt pay for the shootings?
    2. Where do they find people like Daniel Henney and Dennis O'Neal?
    3. Korean drama's runtime isn't fixed and can vary per episode. Why?
    4. The storyline can change the day before the episode airs, including the ending. How do they accomplish this? Wouldn't the episode have to be redone?
    5. Korean dramas tend to be formulatic and lack creativity.(The script writer blames TV viwers). That's just a lame excuse.
    6. Korean dramas drag. Explanation for this?

1. Why would foreign govt pay for the shootings?
    To promote tourism. In case of On Air, Taiwanese government paid $500K to have the beginning and ending of series take place in Taiwan(which doesn't make any sense in terms of plot line)

2. Where do they find people like Daniel Henney and Dennis O'Neal?
    From the night club.

3. Korean drama's runtime isn't fixed and can vary per episode. Why?
    When a competing show is launching, you extend the runtime of your own show to prevent TV audiences from changing channel when your show's over.

The storyline can change the day before the episode airs, including the ending. How do they accomplish this? Wouldn't the episode have to be redone?
    Yes. Shoot today and tomorrow morning and air tomorrow night. Keep editing right before broadcast.

5. Korean dramas tend to be formulatic and lack creativity.(The script writer blames TV viwers). That's just a lame excuse.
    Trying anything new is quite risky and even those attempting new theme tend to return right back to formula after first 3~4 episodes.

6. Korean dramas drag. Explanation for this?
    It's cheaper. The script is being written as the show is airing.

Ahhhh... makes sense now. Thanks heaps JonDoe!

As previously mentioned, all the characters in this series have real-life models.

The Director : Modeled after the director of On Air, who also directed Lovers Trilogy.
    The Writer : Modeled after the writer herself, who wrote Lovers Trilogy.
    The Good Agent : Said to be modeled after a long-time friend of the writer.
    Oh Seung Ha : This is what everyone is trying to find out for the moment, and both the writer and the actress who played the character refused to disclose the identity. The prime suspect is Son Ye Jin. But personally, I think it's Kim Tae Hee as there was a scene where Oh Seung Ha humiliates the writer by mentioning that she went to better college than the script writer did.(Where you went to school is of utmost importance in social hierarchy in Korea and affects everyday issue from marriage to employment.)

Only one actress fits this description, Kim Tae Hee.

It's more believable that Kim Tae Hee has a b*tchy attitude as compared to Son Ye Jin. This is purely based on their facial appearances and what limited footage I've seen of them. Until there are actual confirmations from people, we can only speculate. But I'm hoping it's KTH.

Btw, what university did KTH attended?

It's more believable that Kim Tae Hee has a b*tchy attitude as compared to Son Ye Jin.
    Son Ye Jin's nasty personality is a public knowledge. Only one actress was known to be nastier than Son Ye Jin over the past decade, Kim Hee Sun around age 19~20. But Kim Hee Sun toned down after 24, while Son Ye Jin was busy denying her several demeaning remarks that was spreading in the media as misunderstanding, and Oh Seung Ah was inspired by her last week.....

what university did KTH attended?
    Seoul University(There is no university that ranks higher than this one in Korea), and it was her academic background that gave rise to her stardom, simply because 99.999% of actresses in the business are intellectually challenged. If you think about it, Oh Seung Ah does fit profile of Kim Tae Hee better than Son Ye Jin.

why can't they be beautiful AND nice?

oh, i remember hearing that seoul univ in korea is like harvard in the us.

why can't they be beautiful AND nice?
    Beautiful girls learn from early in their lives that they get everything they want and people will always forgive them no matter how much they misbehave. This is why beautiful girls form nasty personality, because there is no check and balance.

hey guys, just wanna share some thought in this topic. I lived in korea for 2 years (just got back from my homeland) so im a little (just a little) aware of how the entertainment business work there.
    On Air created such a buzz in korea mainly because viewers were so curious about the entertainment industry and as we can see on the news, they really support their own stars and also because of the curiosity that the drama created.
    Just some pointers, the character of Oh Seung Ah doesnt actually point to only one actress, the writer explained that some scenes happened in real life and some are just fiction but they never indicated what are real and what are not.
    As for actress Son Ye Jin, the truth is,when it comes to demographics, she isnt very popular with high school and college girls, but very popular with women ages late 20-30's and of course she is very popular with men of all ages. And it is unlikely that she's the real-life character because she and Kim Ha Neul are good friends in real life, to which i dont think Kim will do a project that will stab her friend. (goes with the saying "tell me who your friends are and ill tell you who you are...)
    Son Ye Jin doesnt really have that bad of a reputation as projected to countries outside korea. But it is also true that she doesnt make friends to most of her co-stars. But that is not just exclusive to her, but many stars are like that. And she's very in demand when it comes to projects because, well, she's one of the few who can act.

As for Kim Tae Hee, she is very much like, because yes, its such a big deal that she graduated from SNU and because her face projects the perfect face of koreans,but audience do recognize that she really cant act. The number of her fans are now decreasing because of an incident that she didnt allow to be photograph at while signing autographs.
    Oh And actually, there are many korean actresses as know for their brains, such as Son Ye Jin,Kim Ha Neul,Kim Yoo jin etc.

And also, not all drama's are shot while the drama is being aired, there were a lot of dramas that they shoot (1-8) episodes and they will shoot the rest while its being shown because directors wanted consistency on the story.

And when it comes to salary, you will be surprise that some a-listers doesnt get much because pulling power is a factor,if an actor is very much known in other parts of the country such as Japan, China (even they are not that well recieved in korea) they get bigger salary, one example is Park Yong Ha.

Sorry if my post is out of the topic. but just to shed some light to the readers!

hey guys, just wanna share some thought in this topic. I lived in korea for 2 years (just got back from my homeland) so im a little (just a little) aware of how the entertainment business work there.
    On Air created such a buzz in korea mainly because viewers were so curious about the entertainment industry and as we can see on the news, they really support their own stars and also because of the curiosity that the drama created.
    Just some pointers, the character of Oh Seung Ah doesnt actually point to only one actress, the writer explained that some scenes happened in real life and some are just fiction but they never indicated what are real and what are not.
    As for actress Son Ye Jin, the truth is,when it comes to demographics, she isnt very popular with high school and college girls, but very popular with women ages late 20-30's and of course she is very popular with men of all ages. And it is unlikely that she's the real-life character of Oh Seung Ah because she and Kim Ha Neul are good friends in real life, to which i dont think Kim will do a project that will stab her friends back (goes with the saying "tell me who your friends are and ill tell you who you are...)
    Son Ye Jin doesnt really have that bad of a reputation as projected to countries outside korea. But it is also true that she doesnt make friends to most of her co-stars. But that is not just exclusive to her, but many stars are like that. And she's very in demand when it comes to projects because, well, she's one of the few who can act.

As for Kim Tae Hee, she is very much like, because yes, its such a big deal that she graduated from SNU and because her face projects the perfect face of koreans,but audience do recognize that she really cant act. The number of her fans are now decreasing because of an incident that she didnt allow to
    be photograph at while signing autographs.

Oh And actually, there are many korean actresses as know for their brains, such as Son Ye Jin,Kim Ha Neul,Kim Yoo jin etc.

And also, not all drama's are shot while the drama is being aired, there were a lot of dramas that they shoot (1-8) episodes and they will shoot the rest while its being shown because directors wanted consistency on the story, Hello God, Behind White Tower for exmple

And when it comes to salary, you will be surprise that some a-listers doesnt get much because pulling power is a factor,if an actor is very much known in other parts of the country such as Japan, China (even they are not that well recieved in korea) they get bigger salary, one example is Park Yong Ha.

Sorry if my post is out of the topic. but just to shed some light to the readers!

Just some pointers, the character of Oh Seung Ah doesnt actually point to only one actress
    Every character in this show can be pin-pointed to single real-life individual, even the assistant writer(a comic figure) of the script writer.
    Oh Seung Ah is no exception.

And it is unlikely that she's the real-life character of Oh Seung Ah because she and Kim Ha Neul are good friends in real life, to which i dont think Kim will do a project that will stab her friends back
    Backstabbing is an everyday occurance in this industry.

Son Ye Jin doesnt really have that bad of a reputation as projected to countries outside korea.
    Son Ye Jin's "objective" ill reputation comes from two separate incidents.
    1. Ko Ara's infamous "My director said Son Ye Jin was a hypocrite" remark : Then 13-year old Ko Ara accidentally said this during a press interview, too young and too newbie to realize what she said, but just repeating what she heard from her director of the show she was shooting. Ko Ara's agency later insisted that Ko Ara didn't understand what a hypocraite is and thought that a "hypocrite" mean a "hard working person." Yea right.
    2. X-file : An ad agency produced a detailed profile evaluation report of all major stars complete with industry insider rating of each star, for use as a guide by their clients who are likely to sign endorsement/commercial deals with these stars. Known as "X-file" by press, this evaluation report was unfortunately leaked to public due to a security breach and caused a firmstorm. And guess what, Son Ye Jin was rated as the worst of bunch, complete with private details never revealed before.
    This is the reason Son Ye Jin has the worst reputation in the industry, why Son Ye Jin was suspected of being the real-life Oh Seung Ah, and why Son Ye Jin is the only actress who has gone in public to deny she is the real-life model of Oh seung Ah. Of course that doesn't mean I think Son Ye Jin is the real-life Oh Seung Ah, due to certain inconsistencies between her and Oh Seung Ah of the show.

As for Kim Tae Hee, she is very much like, because yes, its such a big deal that she graduated from SNU and because her face projects the perfect face of koreans
    Kim Tae Hee isn't that beautiful. It is purely her "school credential" that gave rise to her fame. Wow, an actress who is not dumb, what a shocker.

??? News to me. There are only two female entertainers who can claim to be not dumb in this business, Kim Tae Hee(Name of school on her diploma) and Kwon Boa(Graduated from highschool by exam at 16, while having a full time singing career. The reason she got the idol contract at 11 was because she was an incredibly quick learner even though she didn't have the looks)

Drama/movie acting fee isn't a major source of income; shooting commercials is. Drama/movies are merely used as a promotional tool of an actor/actress, who then draw 90% of revenue from commercial endorsement deals. This is why Kim Tae Hee and Jeon Ji Hyun never do any shows anymore, because they can still sign multi-million endorsement deals without doing any shows.

Some additional information.

I don't think "Oh Seung Ah" is an actress that the script writer personally worked with in the past.

Here are the list of actresses that the script writer worked with in the past.

- Kim Jung Eun : Lead actress of Lovers in Paris and Lovers. A cameo appearance in On Air.
    - Jeon Do Yun : Lead actress of Lovers in Prague. A cameo appearance in On Air
    - Kim Ha Nul : Lead actress of some movie the script writer wrote/directed and On Air.

The first two are exact opposite of Oh Seung Ah's description, and the fact that the script writer worked with them more than once suggests the stript writer had no problem with them. Kim Ha Nul also worked with the script writer more than once and wouldn't have taken the role if Oh Seung Ah was modeled after her.

This would mean that "Oh Seung Ah" is someone whom the script writer didn't directly work with, but heard stories from other industry insiders(directors, managers, fellow script writers, etc).

Given how even the real-life model of minor characters like lighting technician was complaining about "misrepresentation" of him in the drama and demanding a public apology from the network and the script writer, there is no doubt Oh Seung Ah is based on a real-life actress.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    Drama/movie acting fee isn't a major source of income; shooting commercials is. Drama/movies are merely used as a promotional tool of an actor/actress, who then draw 90% of revenue from commercial endorsement deals. This is why Kim Tae Hee and Jeon Ji Hyun never do any shows anymore, because they can still sign multi-million endorsement deals without doing any shows.
    Yup, this I know is true. Celebrities rake in ridiculous amt of money on endorsements. I believe this is the case in all entertainment industries.

I also don't think Kim Tae Hee is all that beautiful. She has a pretty face, but a pretty face is a dime a dozen in the entertainment industry. To make it big, you need 1.talent 2.good luck 3.connections... well, I think a star can still be famous w/o #1

Btw, any scoop on Song Hye Gyo. I'm hoping she at least has a nice personality. By no means is she a great actress, but she appears very likable in a sweet, girl next door sorta way.

Btw, any scoop on Song Hye Gyo. I'm hoping she at least has a nice personality.
    Not much gossip or rumors about Song Hye Gyo, which is a good news in this industry.

Likewise Kim Tae Hee doesn't have much of rumor or gossip about her circulating in public, other than some stories about her disliking acting and being harsh at her fans. But then again, the script writer of On Air is an insider and she gets to hear things that public don't...

thanks for the review..
    but I don't want to believe that little tid bit about Son Yeh Jin and Kim Tae Hee
    I'm gonna have to do a little more reading about it

this is my also current Korean watching project...

The whole Son Ye Jin and Kim Tae hee discussion, who cares right? As long as they do a good job onscreen..We don't know them personally and we only like them on how they portrayed themself on TV anyways..
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE View Post
    The whole Son Ye Jin and Kim Tae hee discussion, who cares right?
    Actually that was what made the show take off, the controversy over the identity of actress whom the character of Oh Seung Ah was based on.

We don't know them personally and we only like them on how they portrayed themself on TV anyways..
    \
    Well, these "actresses" hardly appear on TV screen, they live off shooting commercials and do a project like once every three year or something... Their livelihood is entirely based on gossip and scandals.