View Poll Results: Which Jin Yong character deserves a better ending than the one he/she received?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xiao Feng

15 35.71%
  • You Tanzhi

2 4.76%
  • Ah Zhu

8 19.05%
  • Guo Xiang

5 11.90%
  • Xiao Zhao

2 4.76%
  • Lin Pingzhi

2 4.76%
  • Yue Lingshan

4 9.52%
  • Ah Jiu

0 0%
  • Others

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Jin Yong character deserves a better ending than the one he/she received?

Post Which Jin Yong character deserves a better ending than the one he/she received?

Not all the characters in Jin Yong novels ends up with a wonderful or a happily ever after ending. This is of course, of no exeption to even the most kind or most pitiful people in the novels. And this is probably why some people are attracted to Jin Yong's novels - unpredictability, and not always having predictable fairy tale endings.

However, which Jin Yong character "do you feel" deserves a better ending than the one he/she received?
    ..ext88

God, it's got to be Kiu Fung. His story was the epitome of the old adage, "Life sucks, then you die!"

I have a hard time getting through DGSD because Kiu Fung's story is so damn depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    God, it's got to be Kiu Fung. His story was the epitome of the old adage, "Life sucks, then you die!"

I have a hard time getting through DGSD because Kiu Fung's story is so damn depressing.
    Haha, nobody likes to see a protagonist perish in a novel, especially one that's so cool, muscular, intelligent, powerful and heroic!

He's basically the type of guy that every man yearns to be.
    ..ext88

Oh man, this is such a hard one...I'm totally torn. All of the people you cited had it pretty bad...
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Di Yun x_x. I've always been a big Di Yun sympathizer.

other than that, i suppose Ah Zhu b/c her death was entirely in vain! at least XF's death prevented war.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post

other than that, i suppose Ah Zhu b/c her death was entirely in vain! at least XF's death prevented war.
    You might say, however, that Kiu Fung evolved into the man who was willing to make that sacrifice at least partially because of Ah Chu's fate.

Had Ah Chu not come into his life, or had Ah Chu lived, I think Kiu Fung might not have killed himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    You might say, however, that Kiu Fung evolved into the man who was willing to make that sacrifice at least partially because of Ah Chu's fate.

Had Ah Chu not come into his life, or had Ah Chu lived, I think Kiu Fung might not have killed himself.
    maybe he might have not killed himself, but i don't think ah zhu's death was a main contributor to his choice of suicide...

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

I have a soft spot for Ah Zhu. I would have wished to see more development of her character. Her death was really abrupt.

XF for me
    TaZzY InC

Di Yun
    Ling Shuang Hua
    Ding Dian
    Yue Ling Shan
    Last edited by kidd; 05-26-08 at 07:50 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

zhu er (spider girl in HSDS)
    GJ's 7th teacher of the 7 freak
    ZBT's son
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Cheng Lingsu.
    Ling Shuanghua.
    Ding Dian.

In that order.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Di Yun
    Ling Shuang Hua
    Ding Dian
    Yue Ling Shan
    I actually felt Di Yun got quite a good ending - with a young pretty woman as her partner and Kongxing Cai as her god-daughter, well at least he didn't end up alone.

As for Ding Dian and Ling Shuang Hua - they really do deserve a mention. Maybe more so for Ding Dian, seeing that he need to suffer the torment of seeing her beautiful flawless partner turning into an ugly woman. Frankly speaking, no man could have endured that.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    ...seeing that he need to suffer the torment of seeing her beautiful flawless partner turning into an ugly woman. Frankly speaking, no man could have endured that.
    Most married men endure that daily.

Ding Dian and LSH's story is very sad though, I agree.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I would say Siu Long Nu and Yeung Gor. She is like a goddess of beauty but was raped by the stinking taoist and YG is said to be one of the most, if not the most, handsome male characters of JY but got one of his arm chop off. If SLN wasn't raped and YG's arm wasn't chop off, that would be the best...

Anyway, among your list it is very hard to pick a single person. It is hard to pick between Ah Chu, Kiu Fung, and Yue Linshang. They are all good people and deserve better but that is life...

As for Ding Dian and Ling Shuang Hua - they really do deserve a mention. Maybe more so for Ding Dian, seeing that he need to suffer the torment of seeing her beautiful flawless partner turning into an ugly woman. Frankly speaking, no man could have endured that.
    Well, I don't think the woman who's having her face disgured will suffers any less torment than her man who sees her get disfigured. Women has been brought up all her life to view beauty as very important (that's why beauty product sells so well). Having to disgured her own face is not very painful.

But, in Ding Dian's case, I think the torment is amplified because of the fact that his beautiful flawless partner turn ugly because of him.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-26-08 at 12:17 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Out of the choices in the poll, Yue Lingshan and You Tanzhi I sympathize with the most. For Xiao Feng, I think his ending is VERY good; in fact there could not have been a better ending for him. It was his glorious, compassionate, and larger-than-life sacrifice which prevented a massive war of epic proportions. He will be remembered and revered more by readers because of his glorious, compassionate, and larger-than-life sacrifice which prevented a massive war of epic proportions. Sure, his late life was a difficult one, but his ENDING could not have been topped by any measure of greatness.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

While A Zhu character undoubtedly had a vibrant personality that I would've liked to see more of, I ended up not liking her very much at all! This is mainly because she actively chose to commit suicide, a decision I absolutely hate. Maybe I'm lacking in compassion or some other sort of connection to the A Zhu character, but why the **** she would sacrifice so much for a father who never took responsibility for her and cause eternal suffering to someone who cared immensely for her? Personally I'd just find the responsibility of having killed my lover way too large of a burden, and I would at least be a little bit upset if one day someone decided to drop that burden on me without warning.

And at least A Zhu and Qiao Feng found true love. It was mutual too.

That being said, my heart goes out to Yue Lingshan...there are few wuxia characters I detest more than Lin Pingzhi.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    but why the **** she would sacrifice so much for a father who never took responsibility for her and cause eternal suffering to someone who cared immensely for her?
    DGSD chapter 23:

阿朱道:“我要叫你知道,一个人失手害死了别人,可以全非出于本心。你当
    然不想害我,可是你打了我一掌。我爹爹害死你的父母,也是无意中铸成的大错。

萧峰一直低头凝望着她,电光几下闪烁,只见她眼色中柔情无限。萧峰心中一
    动,蓦地里体会到阿朱对自己的深情,实出于自己以前的想像之外,心中陡然明白
    :“段正淳虽是她生身之父,但于她并无养育之恩,至于要自己明白无心之错可恕
    ,更不必为此而枉自送了性命。”颤声道:“阿朱,阿朱,你一定另有原因,不是
    为了救你父亲,也不是要我知道那是无心铸成的大错,你是为了我!你是为了我!

”抱着她身子站了起来。
    阿朱脸上露出笑容,见萧峰终于明白了自己的深意,不自禁的欢喜。她明知自
    己性命已到尽头,虽不盼望情郎知道自己隐藏在心底的用意,但他终于知道了……

萧峰道:“你完全是为了我,阿朱,你说是不是?”阿朱低声道:“是的。”
    萧峰大声道:“为什么?为什么?”阿朱道:“大理段家有六脉神剑,你打死了他
    们镇南王,他们岂肯干休?
    大哥,那易筋经上的字,咱们又不识得……”
    萧峰恍然大悟,不由得热泪盈眶,泪水跟着便直洒了下来。

Ah Zhu said: "I want you to know that when a person accidentally hurts someone, it may not have been intentional. Even though you never meant to hurt me, but in the end you hit me, just like how my father was responsible for the death of your parents, but it was also unintentional."

Xiao Feng's eyes never left her face. Under the flashing lightning, Xiao Feng saw tremendous compassion and love. Suddenly he realized that her passion for him was far greater than he'd fathomed. He finally realized: "Duan Zhengchun may be her biological father, but he never fulfilled the duty of fatherhood to her. If she just wanted to teach me a lesson about inadvertence, she needn't sacrifice her life." He said in a trembling voice: "Ah Zhu, I know that you didn't do this for your father, nor was it to educate me. You did this for me, didn't you? didn't you?" He lifted up her body in his hands.

There was a trace of smile on her face. It made her happy to know that her lover finally understood her true intention. Ah Zhu knew that she was about to die; she did not expect Xiao Feng to grasp her thoughts, but he finally knows...

Xiao Feng said: "You did this all for me, didn't you, Ah Zhu? Tell me." Ah Zhu replied without a strength: "Yes." Xiao Feng asked aloud: "Why? Why?" Ah Zhu replied: "Dali has the 6 Meridian Swords. If you killed a member of their royal family, would they let you rest? Brother, we can't afford to take on them; we haven't solved the puzzle of Yijinjing yet..."

Finally understanding everything, Xiao Feng could no longer keep his eyes dry. Tears poured down from his big eyes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Therefore, Ah Zhu did not sacrifice her life to save her father, but to save Xiao Feng. She knew that Xiao Feng would not have stepped aside even if she had told him about Duan Zhengchun being her father a priori. So rather than watching both her father and her lover die (after both sides revenge), she decided to sacrifice herself instead.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Cheng Lingsu.
    Ling Shuanghua.
    Ding Dian.

In that order.
    i forgot about that one.

chen lingsu definitely is another of my top choice to deserve sympathy

I actually felt Di Yun got quite a good ending - with a young pretty woman as her partner and Kongxing Cai as her god-daughter, well at least he didn't end up alone.
    but he doesn't like the girl...
    and kongxing cai will only remind him of the one who died and how she died.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 05-26-08 at 05:21 PM.