Thread: How long was Yang Guo in the Ancient Tomb?

Default How long was Yang Guo in the Ancient Tomb?

I've read the English translation of the novel twice, but I still don't feel like I'm clear on how long he spends training in the tomb with Xiao Longnu. I think the translation mentions two years, but that doesn't really seem long enough.

I'm also uncertain how old he is when he first becomes XLN's disciple. Anyone know any passages that might clear this up?
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

YG was described as 13 or 14 when he first appeared, Chapter 2. And he spent about 6 months on Peach Blossom Island and another 6 with the Cownoses.

I believe he spent about 4-5 yrs in the Tomb.

I am not positive about this. Would need to check the book to be sure, but it is about right.
    This account is retired.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

YG was 11 when he first appeared. he lived on peach blossom island for about 9 months or so, then he was sent for quezhen for about a year. he entered the ancient tomb when he was 13yrs old. and he began to practise the final level of maiden purity with XLN when he was 16yrs old. he completed it when he was 17yrs old and practised 9yin for a year more with XLN, he entered wulin when he was 18yrs old.

XLN was 18yrs old when he was 12yrs old.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

I could swear I read a paragraph that said XLN was only 2 years older than YG, but that could be a mistake in the translation, or it could be my faulty memory.

Now I'm going to have to go see if I can find it. Darnit.

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword View Post
    YG was 11 when he first appeared. he lived on peach blossom island for about 9 months or so, then he was sent for quezhen for about a year. he entered the ancient tomb when he was 13yrs old. and he began to practise the final level of maiden purity with XLN when he was 16yrs old. he completed it when he was 17yrs old and practised 9yin for a year more with XLN, he entered wulin when he was 18yrs old.

XLN was 18yrs old when he was 12yrs old.
    Where did you get that YG was 11?

The text says he is 13-14: 李莫愁双手各抓着一个女孩,没提防这少年竟会张臂相抱,但觉胁下忽然多了一双手臂,心中一凛,不知怎的,忽 然全身发软,当即劲透掌心,轻轻一弹,将二女弹开数尺,随即一把抓住少年后心。她自十岁以后,从未与男子肌 肤相接,活了三十岁,仍是处女之身。当年与陆展元痴恋苦缠,始终以礼自持。江湖上有不少汉子见她美貌,不免 动情起心,可是只要神色间稍露邪念,往往立毙于她赤练神掌之下。那知今日竟会给这少年抱住,她一抓住少年, 本欲掌心发力,立时震碎他的心肺,但适才听他称赞自己美貌,语出真诚,心下不免有些喜欢,这话若是大男人所 说,只有惹她厌憎,出于这十三四岁少年之口却又不同,一时心软,竟然下不了手。
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    Where did you get that YG was 11?

The text says he is 13-14: 李莫愁双手各抓着一个女孩,没提防这少年竟会张臂相抱,但觉胁下忽然多了一双手臂,心中一凛,不知怎的,忽 然全身发软,当即劲透掌心,轻轻一弹,将二女弹开数尺,随即一把抓住少年后心。她自十岁以后,从未与男子肌 肤相接,活了三十岁,仍是处女之身。当年与陆展元痴恋苦缠,始终以礼自持。江湖上有不少汉子见她美貌,不免 动情起心,可是只要神色间稍露邪念,往往立毙于她赤练神掌之下。那知今日竟会给这少年抱住,她一抓住少年, 本欲掌心发力,立时震碎他的心肺,但适才听他称赞自己美貌,语出真诚,心下不免有些喜欢,这话若是大男人所 说,只有惹她厌憎,出于这十三四岁少年之口却又不同,一时心软,竟然下不了手。
    I'm so amused by what babelfish does to that text:
    "Li Mo worried that both hands grab a girl respectively, has not guarded against this youth to meet the cantilever to hug unexpectedly, but the sleep coerced suddenly many pair of arms, in heart one cold, somehow, the whole body became tender suddenly, the vigor passed the palm immediately, a ball, opened gently two female balls several feet, held the youth back of the body immediately. She after ten years old, with the male flesh docking, has never lived 30 years old, was still body of the maiden. In the past the crazy love entangled painstakingly with Lu Zhanyuan, throughout by ritual practicing moderation. On the rivers and lakes has many men to see her beautiful appearance, gets excited unavoidably has an intention, so long as but the look reveals the evil thought slightly, often stands executes practices under red the god palm in her. That knowledge unexpectedly will give this youth to grasp today, as soon as she will hold the youth, this desire palm will send the strength, will break his heart and lungs immediately, but will listen to him to commend oneself beautiful appearance just now, the language will leave sincerely, under the heart will like unavoidably somewhat, if this saying the male chauvinist said that only will then annoy her to tire of the hatred, also will be actually different mouth of stemming from these 13-14 year-old youth, will be tenderhearted for a while, will not be able to start unexpectedly."
    It does say that he's 13 or 14, though of course that depends on the accuracy of the translation program.

The Google translated sites like Sina used to [and maybe still does] translate actor and actress names too literally and the results are amusing.

You just need to translate the phrase I bolded. I haven't looked at the ROCH translation you guys read, but that part should be there. It's just the part where Li Mo Chou is fighting Wu San Tong to capture the Cheng Ying and Lu Wu Shuang in front of a cave.
    This account is retired.

sorry i made a mistake, yang guo's mother died when he was 11 and he spent a few years after that on his own. so he was about 13 or 14yrs old when he met guo jing. he spent several months on peach blossom island around six months at least and he spent about the same time on quezhen. so he was about 14 or 15yrs old when he entered the ancient tomb. he was about he was about 14yrs old when he first arrived at MT zhongnan on XLN's 18 birthday. the text says he had spent 2yrs in the ancient tomb and was 16yrs old that year when they begun to practise maiden purity skill. he should have reached 17yrs when he finished his practise with XLN. he spent another year practising 9yin with XLN. so he was about 18yrs old when they encoutered OYF. so the age difference between him and XLN should be 4years.

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    YG was described as 13 or 14 when he first appeared, Chapter 2. And he spent about 6 months on Peach Blossom Island and another 6 with the Cownoses.

I believe he spent about 4-5 yrs in the Tomb.

I am not positive about this. Would need to check the book to be sure, but it is about right.
    I think the translation in wuxiapedia suggested so. My first encounter with the complete novel was in wuxiapedia (I haven't even seen the cover of the ROCH in my pathetic life before), so I doon't have a clear memory to that. But I think it was about that age.
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.

Just from memory of ROCH chronology, I believe XLN is roughly 4 years older than YG, who was 11 when his mother died, 13 when he went to the Quanzhen Sect, and 14 when he was brought back to the Ancient Tomb by XLN. By the time XLN dived into canyon, he was roughly 20, so 16 years later, it would make YG 36 and XLN 40.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Just from memory of ROCH chronology, I believe XLN is roughly 4 years older than YG, who was 11 when his mother died, 13 when he went to the Quanzhen Sect, and 14 when he was brought back to the Ancient Tomb by XLN. By the time XLN dived into canyon, he was roughly 20, so 16 years later, it would make YG 36 and XLN 40.
    The translation at wuxiapedia specifically states that he's 36 when he returns to Passionless Valley to find XLN, so that would make him 20 when they're separated.

I think part of my problem is that I've been watching various tv versions of the story, and they all make him too young when he goes to Quan Zhen Jiao. They always cast little boys who look like they're only 10 or 11 years old.

yang guo was 18yrs old when he left mt zhongnan, and he had adventures for about two yrs so he should be about 20 when he seperated from XLN. 16yrs later, he was 36yrs old.