Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where are the ugly in wuxia??

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Life in wuxia is much better than the life we live in...
    People are a lot more prettier
    There are lot of interesting mysteries waiting for you to discover....
    You can do whatever you want with no consequences.....
    ect........
    Boy, you are really in fantasy land.... I love wu xia as well, but not sure if I want to really "live in it". I guess you have forgotten that there is no TV, flushing toilet, internet, phone, airplane, computers,etc.. and all of the modern advances of technology. Also, you did not have any rights that you have today, women were treated badly(well, you are a guy so it is not like you care anyways), people got beat up and killed and people did not care at all, you had to seek revenge yourself, and so many other hardships... I honestly question if you would be able to live and survive in the wu xia world.... I can totally imagine how hard life would be for you if you do last in the world of wu xia for even one day....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

The rules still applies today, people who attain fame in wulin as well as in our modern time tend to be very attractive. Look at all the actresses, singers, and models. Their beauty is a big factor in helping them make it to the top. In the business world, being attractive will help you get promotion as well. So the way to compare these two worlds is martial arts success is equivalent to financial success. It however doesn't mean you have to be attractive to be on the top, one can do it with talent and smarts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Boy, you are really in fantasy land.... I love wu xia as well, but not sure if I want to really "live in it". I guess you have forgotten that there is no TV, flushing toilet, internet, phone, airplane, computers,etc.. and all of the modern advances of technology. Also, you did not have any rights that you have today, women were treated badly(well, you are a guy so it is not like you care anyways), people got beat up and killed and people did not care at all, you had to seek revenge yourself, and so many other hardships... I honestly question if you would be able to live and survive in the wu xia world.... I can totally imagine how hard life would be for you if you do last in the world of wu xia for even one day....
    I just went camping for the first time, and I have no desire to ever live in the wuxia world. Sleeping when it's raining outside even with my overly complicated tent was the worst thing ever even in relatively warm temperature. Then imagine having to do that everyday for a month, except you're starving and hiking like 30 miles a day.

That part JY glosses over (They traveled to XXX during the next month) is pretty crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Dear timeless.

Have you read 'Kong Que Ling'? Sheung Sheung never once remove her clothes or even do anything tantalizing. Neither did GL or any of the characters mention how attractive her small diminutive stunted figure is.

And pray tell. In which other novel did any GL's character or GL himself professes his liking for small little girls. As far as I know, all the alluring women in GL's novels have good figure.

Please don't make conclusion without reading 'Kong Que Ling' itself.

There's also another novel called 'Bi Xue Xi Yin Qiang' where the main girl was describe as ugly. But, slowly, after the main guy get to know her, he find her not that ugly anymore.

I know GL wrote of a lot of naked girls and drop dead gorgeous women who tantalize men with their body and look. But, he did once in a while write something different.

I never read or heard of those books. But yes, i know that Gl writes different kinds of things though he tends to overexaggerate on the beauties of many of the women characters. His idea of 'mei' to me seems to mean pretty as opposed to truly very very beautiful unless he wrote it in such a way that stunned or disoriented even the protagonists themselves. Interestingly, almost every girl that is decent/indecent looking enough as to be 'ripe for the taking' would be described seemingly as a pretty lady.
    Last edited by timeless; 09-29-09 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Xuzhu is said to be extremely ugly.

He wasn't ugly. He was just plain looking ordinary. Imagine someone like that thrust into the role of the leader of the Xiaoyao schools of beautiful people that has the tradition of not accepting not beautiful people- then relatively speaking, Xz the odd one out would then be the 'ugliest' one there was.

[quote=Trinie;901851]Boy, you are really in fantasy land.... Also, you did not have any rights that you have today, women were treated badly(well, you are a guy so it is not like you care anyways),...[ quote]

Are you who i think you are?? I could have assumed from the way you sound out like someone i know somewhere.

Main character wise, there are quite a few main male characters that are described as rather plain looking, GJ, YK (how the heck did YG turned out that way), LHC, WXB, although the latter two makes it with charisma.

However, almost all female leads in Wuxia are super hot. Even if they are not the hottest one, they are well above average.

It is societies double standard. Most men prefer women who are pretty, most women prefer men who are capable (and good looking if possible). Hence why you can get away with a capable but plain looking male lead, but usually the reverse wouldn't work.

Case to point, compare the number of women find Bill Clinton attractive, then compare it with number of men who find Hilary Clinton attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I think Jin Yong categorized his main heroes as less handsome (unlike Yang Guo) like Xiao Feng, Wei Xiao Bo, Guo Jing and Linghu Chong. But his heroines were always beautiful or pretty.

I mean Xiao Feng was more manly and rogue-ish right? Or was he handsome too?

WXB was defintely plain and not handsome, as I recall.

I think I heard somewhere that Guo Jing and LHC was not described as handsome right? Or maybe I heard wrong.
    Yg was a special case, in his situation, he was marked out to be described as handsome. But any author si smart enough not to do that most of the time as Wuxia literature was written for mass consumption and it wouldn't do any good to distance the protagonists from the escapist readers, would it?

Take DGSD, good looking in Jy's world is not always about physical looks, like Mrf, he was well dressed and presentable by his high class looks, or the ruggedly attired Xf, where there was no mention about his looks apart from his physical built and manliness that a world scheming beautiful girl like Azi could die for or we should consider Duanzc, who in his younger days had had affairs with every beautiful women he was attracted to/lusted after and the same thing also applies to Wuyazi. References to the guys as being attractive is usually made to draw attention to some other things- further examples being Fanyao and Yangxiao.

So we cannot assume that much on whether if Yangguo was the only truly handsome male protagonist in Jy's world of Wuxia or that the rest are ugly or not good-looking or that the good-lookers are mostly spoilt brats with an attitude or hypocritical rats seen in the likes of Mrf or Zhengks.

I really like a character (Su Ying?) in original novel of the Twin by GL (forgot the exact english title :P )

She's suppose to be NOT pretty, with her head is too big for her body. But since she's very refined, she looks like she's very pretty.
    back w/ a vengeance ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    Yg was a special case, in his situation, he was marked out to be described as handsome. But any author si smart enough not to do that most of the time as Wuxia literature was written for mass consumption and it wouldn't do any good to distance the protagonists from the escapist readers, would it?
    Somethings not specifically mentioned are best left to one's imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Floo.. View Post
    I really like a character (Su Ying?) in original novel of the Twin by GL (forgot the exact english title :P )

She's suppose to be NOT pretty, with her head is too big for her body. But since she's very refined, she looks like she's very pretty.
    Su Ying is variously described in different chapters as less pretty than the other girls, and in other chapters as so beautiful that she totally outclassed the other girls.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Su Ying is variously described in different chapters as less pretty than the other girls, and in other chapters as so beautiful that she totally outclassed the other girls.

Han Solo
    I am guessing it was her personally that outshined all of the other girls since beauty can come from within as well.

In Bi Xue Jian, He Hong Yao was really ugly after her brother put her in the snake pit. But she was originally pretty good looking as well...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

[QUOTE=timeless;901975]
    Boy, you are really in fantasy land.... Also, you did not have any rights that you have today, women were treated badly(well, you are a guy so it is not like you care anyways),...[ quote]

Are you who i think you are?? I could have assumed from the way you sound out like someone i know somewhere.
    No, I am not... But I think maybe I sound like some other people sometimes. Thanks for your PM by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor View Post
    The rules still applies today, people who attain fame in wulin as well as in our modern time tend to be very attractive. Look at all the actresses, singers, and models. Their beauty is a big factor in helping them make it to the top. In the business world, being attractive will help you get promotion as well. So the way to compare these two worlds is martial arts success is equivalent to financial success. It however doesn't mean you have to be attractive to be on the top, one can do it with talent and smarts as well.
    Totally agree and I have noticed that some singers and actors are not that talented, but they seem to be very popular because they look good or at least above average. Then there are some that are really talented but are not that popular because they don't look so great.... However, in some cases you can still make it to the top if you are really talented and smart too. I think those people still have a harder time than people who are good looking though.

I think those people still have a harder time than people who are good looking though.

That may be very true but its equally more common that its about who you know than what you have that can help.