Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKIP BEAT!!!

Cool SKIP BEAT!!!

discussion/ideal cast game/ random blatherings on skip beat, coming in 2009, starring ariel lin and ....others.

lol

Thursday, May 22, 2008
    Source: wordcandy

Skip Beat! to be made into a T-drama?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://bp0.blogger.com/_dbuJ0Y623s4/SDW3E4kaGeI/AAAAAAAAA4U/kDxxcNLxFls/s200/skipbeat!.jpg')

I'm hearing rumors that Yoshiko Nakamura's deliciously funny revenge manga Skip Beat! is going to be made into a Taiwanese drama starring Ariel Lin. Frankly, my hopes are not high.
    Not everything about this idea is terrible. Ariel Lin is an appealing actress (although she's a solid decade older than the character she would be playing), and most of the T-dramas I've seen have stuck very closely to their source material. Unfortunately, I don't think this story will work as a live-action production.

The heroine of Skip Beat! is a sweet, gentle girl named Kyoko, who is totally devoted to her childhood friend Sho. When Sho decides to run away from home and become a singer, Kyoko goes with him, taking on several part-time jobs to support them. Kyoko comes home early one day and overhears Sho telling his manager that Kyoko is nothing but a servant to him, and (now that he's a success) he plans to send her back to their old home. Enraged, Kyoko swears vengeance and buries her nice-girl persona forever, deciding to become a star in her own right...

Most of the humor in this series comes from Kyoko's innappropriate, over-the-top reactions to her new world. It's full of the kind of sequences that are funny in a single manga panel, but will be very difficult to recreate in a live-action. Here's Kyoko's reaction to overhearing Sho's real opinion of her (that evil-looking thing in the trunk is one of Kyoko's inner demons):

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://bp2.blogger.com/_dbuJ0Y623s4/SDW2WYkaGcI/AAAAAAAAA4E/YO_Eg1E2Dzo/s400/page+44.bmp')
    And this is a couple of pages later, once all of Kyoko's inner demons have emerged and she's busily killing off her selflessness and love for Sho (represented by those sweet little fairy-things she's squishing):

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://bp2.blogger.com/_dbuJ0Y623s4/SDW2pYkaGdI/AAAAAAAAA4M/PliMu4YDHls/s400/page+47.bmp')
    Hmm. It would probably work as an anime, and it MIGHT work if they play it totally straight in a live-action, but I suspect we'll be in for a lot of cheap-looking comedic fantasy sequences and sitcom-style over-acting.

if taiwan is taking on this comic book adaptation, i might like it because so far, even though most of the manga adaptations I've watched tend to be on the silly side, I am still entertained by them.

Ariel Lin huh? So far, I've only seen her on ISWAK and Love Contract so I guess she's okay. I like her better when she's not playing a stupid groupie though. But in Skip Beat she might be able to show both this side of her acting as well as a woman scorned. It would be like a combination of ISWAK and Love Contract. hmmm...

Ella should also be part of the cast. I loved her on Hana Kimi! and if its a manga type story, who better to cast than Jiro Wang? His style or acting is so over the top but I still like him...

Hey sora, Jilly and anggemb! Thanks for getting the thread started! I agree with the reviewer; it will be difficult to do Skip Beat well, but not impossible. Look at how well very manga-like dramas like Nodame Cantabile turned out. A really good director and actors are needed, but it can happen.

anggemb, I like the idea of Ariel for the role, because she's a versatile actress, and she has both the acting depth and the cheerfulness/life that Kyoko exudes when she's not being vengeful or depressed, lol.

Hehe, who would Ella play? Funny that you mention Jiro...I actually thought of him for Sho.

By the way, just an update on what's going on in the e-world that may affect Skip Beat. Joe and Da S just signed on to do a drama together, which possibly means that he won't be in Skip Beat with Ariel. Additionally, from what I understand, Joe and Da S's drama is on GTV calendar of "preferred" dramas now, and Skip Beat is not. I don't know if that's because Skip Beat was set for next year or not.

LOL, actually I have no idea about Skip Beat except for what I've read from the synopsis.

But I think the story in itself has merit... It has the potential to be funny and entertaining, and interesting. for that alone, count me in as a potential viewer... I'm really easy to please huh?

ya feel tat its hard to portray skip beat as drama..i remember the kdrama goong tat was damn popular n adapted from a k manga...when i was reading the goong manga 3 yrs ago, i was thinking if it came out a drama it will be damn nice...n true it came out n it was damn popular around the world!

Hola senorita swim hehe... so GTV will pick up this project? Since Skip Beat is not on the calendar of preferred dramas, does it mean filming won't even start till next year? Argh, what a long wait! They could have at least announced the cast first so that we don't have to keep speculating like this.

anggemb, now that you also mentioned Jiro, I think he would be more suitable as Reino as opposed to Sho. Sho is basically just a jerk, but Reino... he's creepy! I'm not saying that Jiro is creepy lol, but I think he would play a good Reino =P

Kyoko is nothing remotely ditzy. She might be naive, but she's not stupid by all means. Kyoko and Ren are the hardest characters to tackle, but I'm sure Ariel will shine as Kyoko As for Ren, I can't think of any actor with great acting skills to match up Ariel. Maybe Joe Cheng, but he's not what I have in mind as Ren (he's more fitting as Sho, but I guess it's almost impossible now that he has a commitment on hand). Mike He looks physically suitable, but I'm not sure about his acting.

sora, even after I've read the manga, I still don't know what to think of Yashiro-san. I guess he doesn't really peek my interest haha.

kpop91, the most important thing is picking the right manga with great storyline. Yeah, it'll be challenge to do Skip Beat, but if they do it right, it'll be an awesome adaptation!^^
    Last edited by Jilly; 05-31-08 at 10:35 PM.

Hi everyone! Welcome kpop! I think Skip Beat's a more difficult manga to adapt to live action, but I think it'd be sooo amazing if they could consult (or sign on) Nodame Cantabile's director or someone who really gets Skip Beat and can translate that over into set up, casting and filming.

anggemb, LOL. Yeah, the Skip Beat storyline is really good, so all the scriptwriters have to do is stick with it and not ruin it in translating over to a script Whee!

Jilly Jie, haha, Jiro as Reino would be awesome! I can actually imagine him doing it Yet another different role for Jiro, and man, would that be hot (and creepy). Lol, hot and creepy... what a strange combination (yet, that's what Reino is...)

Here's one option for Ren opposite Ariel, credit to [email protected] (she made them):

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll221/cowsswim/ECvicandArielpaintavi100.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll221/cowsswim/ECvicandArielpaint2-1.jpg')

sora, you should make a Jerry/Ren icon and/or banner! I still don't know for Yashiro-san, but someone suggested Ryan Tang for the President! Haha, I think it could work! You know the Japanese guy from TKA? Maybe he might be good as Yashiro-san? Hehe, I like him as an actor.

HI all! I tink jerry yan can act as ren...But i seriously hope HK TVB cn take tis proj...coz hk like nv do adapt manga drama one...n i tink sammi cheng from hk cn act...Her acting as funny lil dumb romantic is damn gd...watch her movies n u will noe

BTW, skip beat was one of my fav manga...Bought the 1st bk n nv stop after tat...but quite lazy to buy now coz taiwan ver comics quite ex in sg...So really hope the drama come out n if its nice i will consider buying it...anyway is there a anime for tis?

gah! i totally disagree with that article!!! i think the person who wrote it only read the first chapter.

o well. either way, i can't wait to see what happens with the drama!!! X}

Swim mei, haha, hot and creepy is a strange combination, but yup, that's what Reino is =P
    I thought Jiro would fit well in this role coz his character, Gui Long, in The X-Family is kinda like that, too

Ryan Tang would be perfect as the president! I wonder how they are going to do his grand entrance, though =P

sora, what the reviewer says has merit, though I'm not as skeptical as she is. It would be hard to recreate Kyoko's inner demons and all that, but there is so much more to the story that's worth exploring

Default NEXT CHAPTER

hey, all, the nest chapter of skip beat (123) just went up! you know where!

lol.. Danson Tang as Sho? Cold and cruel ? Hmmm.. Just thinking. hes quite cool tho..
    Jiro as Sho? nahhhhh.. not for me that is. cant picture an evil Jiro just yet.
    Ren will be with kyoko right? hope the ren actor will have chemistry with ariel..

and yeah ariel can take younger roles.. her Xiang Qin looks pretty young in ISWAK 1.
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others

Yay! Chpt 123's up! Oh, someone in AF thought of a good idea for Kanae. Does anyone remember "Rita" from Smiling Pasta? She goes by Xiao Qiao: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Zhao_Hong_Qiao

Yeah I do. Shes Ming Dao's first love in "Wang Zi Bian Qing Wa" prince turn to frog. Yup, she's Zhao Hongqiao aka Xiao Qiao. Can brief on Kanae?
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others

Quote Originally Posted by XWingSuki View Post
    lol.. Danson Tang as Sho? Cold and cruel ? Hmmm.. Just thinking. hes quite cool tho..
    Jiro as Sho? nahhhhh.. not for me that is. cant picture an evil Jiro just yet.
    Ren will be with kyoko right? hope the ren actor will have chemistry with ariel..

and yeah ariel can take younger roles.. her Xiang Qin looks pretty young in ISWAK 1.

I think Danson could pull it off cos he's a good actor, but I'm hoping not because I would like him to have a good guy part. Am I being too biased?

And I'm rooting for Ariel to play the lead role. she's a super actress, not a knockout but definitely cute!

I just saw the first few chapters of the manga, thanks soratorashi! My choice for Sho is Jiro Wang, although he's never played a bad guy before, I think he could pull this off.. I think they can make him more like a self centered or spoiled kid instead of a real meanie... If that was the case, Jiro will suit perfectly... As for Ren, I'm thinking Vic Chou.. or it would also be good for another Ariel Lin-Joe Cheng team up. whaddaya think?

nah, sorry anggemb, but the more i think about it, the more set i am about joe-sho and yan-ren.

hey, cool! thanks for the idea, swim! ^^

omg, i've been gone FOREVER. lol

as an update, it's just been announced that skip beat will be made into an anime (yaaaay!) directed by the same person who's doing Vampire Knight (noooooooooo!).
    Skip Beat! Anime Series Announced

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.animenation.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/skip-beat-anime-series-announced.jpg')
    Japanese genre news site Hobby Channel has confirmed the planned production of an anime television series adaptation of Yoshiki Nakamura’s shoujo manga series Skip Beat! The anime will be produced by studio Hal Film Maker (Princess Tutu, Pretear, Oban Star Racers) under the direction of Kiyoko Sayama (Vampire Knight, Princess Tutu).
    The English language translation of the Skip Beat! manga series is produced and distributed by Viz Media.
    Source: Anime News Network

i'm personally torn, because i LOVED princess tut, but i think pretear and vampire knight really messed up their respective mangas. but i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

also, to anyone who's up on the manga, picture sho's face at seeeing the plate that my friend snapped a shot of the other day:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/slave2f8/0208081816a.jpg?t=1214237370')

teeheeheeheehee *dark chuckle*
    Last edited by soratorashi; 06-23-08 at 12:10 PM.