Thread: Slow DSL B/C of Wireless Router?

Default Slow DSL B/C of Wireless Router?

I have a question regarding dsl connection speed. Does bridging your modem through a wireless router (Dlink) slow down the connection? I did a speedcheck on my dsl without the wireless router and got a speed of 1,200k. With the wifi router, I only get 400k max (just me using it, and no one using the dsl). However, I have been using the same router for 2 years and never experienced slow connection speed until now. Does that mean my router is malfunctioning?
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

Quote Originally Posted by hkopinions View Post
    I have a question regarding dsl connection speed. Does bridging your modem through a wireless router (Dlink) slow down the connection? I did a speedcheck on my dsl without the wireless router and got a speed of 1,200k. With the wifi router, I only get 400k max (just me using it, and no one using the dsl). However, I have been using the same router for 2 years and never experienced slow connection speed until now. Does that mean my router is malfunctioning?
    Connecting a wireless router to the modem normally does not slow down the connection.

Have you tried using other routers (if any, other than this wireless router)?

The slow speed that you are getting now might not be related to your router.

Yeah I tried that and they said it was something with the line. They did a line maintenance and can't find the problem. I hated it when I am streaming and it drops my dsl.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

Yeah I tried that and they said it was something with the line. They did a line maintenance and can't find the problem. I hated it when I am streaming and it drops my dsl.
    if your dsl is dropping it's either your phone line or modem that's stuffed. unless you mean it's your wireless signal that drops.

But wireless does reduce bandwidth depending on the quality of your wireless router and wireless card/adapter on your pc. Quality as in quality to send/receive signals.

If you find your wireless signal constantly dropping or not connecting, change the wireless channel. One of neighbours could be using the same channel which is causing interference.

How do I change the channel?
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

what KeongJai suggested plus check your wireless signal strength - Excellent, good, poor? Signal strength is dependent on the distance between router and PC, and obstacles (wall, stairs, furniture etc..) in between. So you might need to move the wireless router (or PC) closer.

How do I change the channel?
    You should have a option to do it whereever it is you setup the SSID and encryption etc. Get netstumbler and install it. Then use it to scan wireless networks. That'll confirm whether you have interference from your neighbours.

If you got no interference, then could be what u4ria said. Or your wireless router or pc wireless card is crapping itself. Test those by swapping wireless router with a friend see if they get dropouts with your router or if your connectiion is better with theirs.