Thread: Asian tv versus US tv - what's different?

Default Asian tv versus US tv - what's different?

I've noticed that Asian tv serials in Asia don't have the same quantities of episodes as American tv shows. Admittedly most of the serials I'm watching are wuxia dramas based on Jin Yong novels, so maybe they're not good examples of general television in Asia.

But in the US the tendency is to try to make all tv shows conform to a certain number of episodes, usually 24 or 26 per season. That way a series can fill about six months of time, with one episode shown per week. Then the episodes are repeated while the production team goes off to film a new season of the series.

The only American tv dramas that are aired on a daily schedule are soap operas (I'm not counting things like game shows, talk shows or childrens' shows because they don't fall into the drama genre).

I got the impression from something I read in another thread that tv shows like The Duke of Mount Deer are aired daily. So 40 episodes (or however many it has) would be aired in a big block, and then it's done. There's really nothing like that on US tv.

If that information is correct, do the shows run 7 days a week until they're finished? What time of day are they aired? Are they repeated (shown more than once in case some people missed it)?

Does Asian tv have anything equivalent to the US concept of "prime time", when most of the advertising is done (between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. for most of the US)? Are there certain times of day reserved for television that is considered inappropriate for children? Does the tv programming on weekends differ from what is shown on weekdays?

Do most tv shows run more than one series/season? Or is it common for a show to have one series and then be replaced by something new the next "season"? Or does Asian tv even have "seasons"?

That's probably enough questions for now.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

hongkong TV is different than US
    in HK they don't have those long running series like friends (10 seasons = 10 years)
    usually HK series ar 20eps and the story is finished, 1ep/working day

in hk they have a couple of long running series (sitcoms) like virtues of harmony, welcome to the house, best selling secrets,...
    those are more than 100eps but 1ep/working day

hk tv series doesn't really have seasons, they do have sequels but the usually half of the cast are replaced in the sequals becoz the actors have schedulling problems and can't be part in the serie

Quote Originally Posted by joeylee View Post
    hk tv series doesn't really have seasons, they do have sequels but the usually half of the cast are replaced in the sequals becoz the actors have schedulling problems and can't be part in the serie
    I got that impression from reading about the shows over in the Reviews section. It looks like when they do a sequel it can sometimes be several years after the original series ran, too.

If that information is correct, do the shows run 7 days a week until they're finished? In the US, shows does not necessarily run 7 days a week, until they're finished [Great idea, but people normally don't have that kind of time.] What time of day are they aired? Each time of day is different in different time zones, but they normally are on either 6pm-11pm. Late night is like 12-2am Are they repeated (shown more than once in case some people missed it)? They only show more then once, if there is a first premiere incase someone missed out on it. Otherwise wait until the first season is over, then repeat it.

Does Asian tv have anything equivalent to the US concept of "prime time", when most of the advertising is done (between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. for most of the US)? Not really, but most of the shows does fall in the listed times you mentioned. Are there certain times of the day reserved for television that is considered inappropriate for children? Yes, there is during 11pm-2am these time is mostly reserved for mostly for adults. Does the tv programming on weekends differ from what is shown on weekdays? Yes, most of the weekends have more movies, instead of tv shows because people who are tired of watching tv shows during weekdays can watched movies now.

Do most tv shows run more than one series/season? Normally, each new tv show is premiered with a pilot airing. Once the tv broadcasters have enough rating from the new tv show, then gladly released between 13-15 episodes. Normally, they do not released any more new episodes unless fans wanted another continuation; of course agreed by the tv broadcast stations.Or is it common for a show to have one series and then be replaced by something new the next "season"?Many new shows can easily replaced by another tv show either the lack of ratings or the tv station does not like the contains within the show. My opinion about this is sometimes the good shows or great shows always get shutdown quicker, as for the worst tv show stay on air the longest. Or does Asian tv even have "seasons"? I am not really sure about Asian tv shows, it seems to me they do it more in boxes at the sametime when they premiere it on air. Slowly, this is becoming common in US tv shows now. I hope this clear up things.

Last edited by mind_wander; 06-02-08 at 09:37 PM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    Does Asian tv have anything equivalent to the US concept of "prime time", when most of the advertising is done (between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. for most of the US)? Are there certain times of day reserved for television that is considered inappropriate for children? Does the tv programming on weekends differ from what is shown on weekdays?

They sort of do. Although most advertisements can be seen throughout the day, some advertisements by prominent companies are aired during this time.
    In most Asian countries, they show variety shows and movies on the weekends. Some continue tvseries programming on weekend as well.

Do most tv shows run more than one series/season? Or is it common for a show to have one series and then be replaced by something new the next "season"? Or does Asian tv even have "seasons"?

I don't think Asian tvs have seasons, but I could be wrong. It's common for Asian tvs to show series after another series

Most people in the US does not spend their time watching alot of tv shows. Its considered silly and would rather go outdoors more then watching tons of tv shows. However, each person is different in watching their favorite tv shows. It could be a soap opera, drama, action/adventure, sci-fi, animals, etc. Here is an idea what top US shows: http://www.tv.com/
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander View Post
    Most people in the US does not spend their time watching alot of tv shows. Its considered silly and would rather go outdoors more then watching tons of tv shows. However, each person is different in watching their favorite tv shows. It could be a soap opera, drama, action/adventure, sci-fi, animals, etc. Here is an idea what top US shows: http://www.tv.com/
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...z1n27list.html

19 hours a week is a lot!!! Enough to put the US in sixth place.

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander View Post
    If that information is correct, do the shows run 7 days a week until they're finished? In the US, shows does not necessarily run 7 days a week, until they're finished [Great idea, but people normally don't have that kind of time.] What time of day are they aired? Each time of day is different in different time zones, but they normally are on either 6pm-11pm. Late night is like 12-2am Are they repeated (shown more than once in case some people missed it)? They only show more then once, if there is a first premiere incase someone missed out on it. Otherwise wait until the first season is over, then repeat it.

Does Asian tv have anything equivalent to the US concept of "prime time", when most of the advertising is done (between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. for most of the US)? Not really, but most of the shows does fall in the listed times you mentioned. Are there certain times of the day reserved for television that is considered inappropriate for children? Yes, there is during 11pm-2am these time is mostly reserved for mostly for adults. Does the tv programming on weekends differ from what is shown on weekdays? Yes, most of the weekends have more movies, instead of tv shows because people who are tired of watching tv shows during weekdays can watched movies now.

Do most tv shows run more than one series/season? Normally, each new tv show is premiered with a pilot airing. Once the tv broadcasters have enough rating from the new tv show, then gladly released between 13-15 episodes. Normally, they do not released any more new episodes unless fans wanted another continuation; of course agreed by the tv broadcast stations.Or is it common for a show to have one series and then be replaced by something new the next "season"?Many new shows can easily replaced by another tv show either the lack of ratings or the tv station does not like the contains within the show. My opinion about this is sometimes the good shows or great shows always get shutdown quicker, as for the worst tv show stay on air the longest. Or does Asian tv even have "seasons"? I am not really sure about Asian tv shows, it seems to me they do it more in boxes at the sametime when they premiere it on air. Slowly, this is becoming common in US tv shows now. I hope this clear up things.

I think you may have misunderstood my questions, mind_wander. I live in the US so I know how tv works here. I was wondering how it works in Asia, especially in China.

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander
    Most people in the US does not spend their time watching alot of tv shows. Its considered silly and would rather go outdoors more then watching tons of tv shows. However, each person is different in watching their favorite tv shows. It could be a soap opera, drama, action/adventure, sci-fi, animals, etc.
    I don't know if that's true of the people you know, but I know a lot of people who watch a lot of television. The amount Sarakoth mentions doesn't seem at all wrong to me. People in the US like to talk about how we don't watch a lot of tv, but if we sat down and figured out how many hours we actually spend watching tv we'd probably be ashamed. I know I would.

If that information is correct, do the shows run 7 days a week until they're finished? What time of day are they aired? Are they repeated (shown more than once in case some people missed it)?
    Based off my knowledge from the time I've spent in China, major series are aired on weekdays only (sometimes Saturday too). On weekends there's some filler drama, which I'm assuming is not as popular or maybe some rerun.

Does Asian tv have anything equivalent to the US concept of "prime time", when most of the advertising is done (between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. for most of the US)?
    Yes, especially for new dramas (I've seen reruns going at like 3 am). A lot of the sequels to already successful dramas or highly-anticipated dramas usually get prime time.

Do most tv shows run more than one series/season?
    Besides news and talk shows, Asian TV usually airs dramas, so they don't really have seasons. All the dramas have some sort of denouement at the end. Usually the successful ones might choose to air a sequel. The only TV shows I've seen that keep on going are non-drama ones, like talk shows, etc. I don't really know how long those are supposed to last. Popular series might also be rerun, just like here when they show those awesome Dawson's Creek reruns.

Also American TV has GREY'S ANATOMY and Asian TV does not. Therefore the former is better.

Btw sorry if my answers suck.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway