Thread: Did the wuxia novelists ever make *nod* and *wink* references to each other's work?

Default Did the wuxia novelists ever make *nod* and *wink* references to each other's work?

In Western genres of fiction, creators often make "nod and wink" sly references in homage to the work of their peers. For example, there was a brief cameo appearance by ET in STAR WARS: EPISODE 1. Marvel Comics has a group of superheroes called the Squadron Supreme that is clearly a takeoff/parody of DC Comics' famous Justice League.

Did the wuxia novelists ever make these "nod and wink" references to each other's works in their stories? For example, did Gu Long ever depict a character who was clearly a knock-off/parody/tribute to a Jin Yong character, or vice-versa?

The Fast Sabre guy in DGSD is very much a Gu Long type of characters. Fancy intro & sh!t then killed off in a comical flash. Next page everyone's forgotten about him.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I believe Jin Yong's QZ Northern Star or whatever formation was mentioned in Lu Xiao Feng.

Are there any written wuxia parodies? (Like those old Wong Jing movies or something...)

there's a reference to the jade maiden swordstyle from ROCH in GL's pak yuk lo fu.
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    I believe Jin Yong's QZ Northern Star or whatever formation was mentioned in Lu Xiao Feng.
    That's one thing I was thinking of when I started this thread. The White Clouds Monastery in Beijing was an offshoot of the Cheun Jen Sect...specifically, Yau Chui Gei's pedagogical lineage. Hence, when Luk Siu Fung visited the White Clouds Monastery looking for leads on Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Yip Goo Sing, he found himself up against the 7 Stars Big Dipper Formation.

The name of Yau Chui Gei, however, was not mentioned in the novel as far as I know. If Yau were mentioned it'd be a cool instance of a character who had appeared in a Jin Yong novel also getting a mention in a Gu Long novel.

Also, a lot of basic sword moves have the same name and are similar in nature in the works of many authors. Like that rainbow thingy. Geeze my memory is failing me.

That might be because the moves actually exist in real life.