Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review : Woman Of The Sun

Smile Review : Woman Of The Sun

Title : Woman Of The Sun
    Starring :
    - Kim Ji Soo as Shin Do Yong The evil adopted older sister
    - Yi Ha Na as Yoon Sa Wuel The cheerful lost younger sister dumped by her older sister at age 5.
    - Han Jae Suk as Kim Joon Sae The man caught between two sisters.
    Synopsis : The evil adopted older sister who dumped her younger adoptive parent's 5-year old biological daughter at the train station to eliminate "competition" now tries to prevent the reunion between her adoptive parents and her lost sister 20 years later.

Review : At first glance, this looks like a highly formulatic drama aimed at typical drama viewers(housewives) and it really is; it has all the elements of a birth-secret, lost sibling who is found again decades later, vengence and forgiveness. What is unusual about this drama is that it is the lead character of the show who is evil. There aren't many shows where the lead character is evil, and the actress who is playing the evil sister hasn't played an evil role before. Just this fact alone makes show highly interesting despite its formulatic nature.

Kim Ji Soo plays Shin Do Yong, a highly successful TV achorwoman and show hostess who seem to have it all, a successful career, upper-class parents, and a wealthy fiance. But she hides a dark secret; she was adopted to a rich childless couple, who happened to have a daughter after the adoption. Fearful that she would be kicked out thanks to her sister, Shin Do Young decides to dump her sister at the train station while her parents are away. 20 years later, Shin Do Yong has everything a woman would want to have, a fame, a highly successful career, and a rich boyfriend. On the other hand, the lost sister had a tough life; she grew up in an orphanage, and will do any kind of work to survive day to day. Yet the lost girl is always cheerful and hopeful of a better future and dreams of finding her parents someday. Two sisters happen to cross into each other's path, and the older sister decides to use the younger sister's story in her show by finding her parents. During the course of investigation, the older sister realizes that she is the younger sister that she dumped at the train station and will now do everything in her power to prevent her sister and her parents who have been looking for the lost sister for 20 years.

Even though this show is highly formulatic, the fact that is an old-school drama with an interesting twist(The title character is evil) makes it interesting to watch, as formulatic dramas largely died out and there aren't many of them on TV anymore. So for the old school drama fans, have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    Title : Woman Of The Sun
    Starring :
    - Kim Ji Soo as Shin Do Yong The evil adopted older sister
    - Yi Ha Na as Yoon Sa Wuel The cheerful lost younger sister dumped by her older sister at age 5.
    - Han Jae Suk as Kim Joon Sae The man caught between two sisters.
    Synopsis : The evil adopted older sister who dumped her younger adoptive parent's 5-year old biological daughter at the train station to eliminate "competition" now tries to prevent the reunion between her adoptive parents and her lost sister 20 years later.

Review : At first glance, this looks like a highly formulatic drama aimed at typical drama viewers(housewives) and it really is; it has all the elements of a birth-secret, lost sibling who is found again decades later, vengence and forgiveness. What is unusual about this drama is that it is the lead character of the show who is evil. There aren't many shows where the lead character is evil, and the actress who is playing the evil sister hasn't played an evil role before. Just this fact alone makes show highly interesting despite its formulatic nature.

Kim Ji Soo plays Shin Do Yong, a highly successful TV achorwoman and show hostess who seem to have it all, a successful career, upper-class parents, and a wealthy fiance. But she hides a dark secret; she was adopted to a rich childless couple, who happened to have a daughter after the adoption. Fearful that she would be kicked out thanks to her sister, Shin Do Young decides to dump her sister at the train station while her parents are away. 20 years later, Shin Do Yong has everything a woman would want to have, a fame, a highly successful career, and a rich boyfriend. On the other hand, the lost sister had a tough life; she grew up in an orphanage, and will do any kind of work to survive day to day. Yet the lost girl is always cheerful and hopeful of a better future and dreams of finding her parents someday. Two sisters happen to cross into each other's path, and the older sister decides to use the younger sister's story in her show by finding her parents. During the course of investigation, the older sister realizes that she is the younger sister that she dumped at the train station and will now do everything in her power to prevent her sister and her parents who have been looking for the lost sister for 20 years.

Even though this show is highly formulatic, the fact that is an old-school drama with an interesting twist(The title character is evil) makes it interesting to watch, as formulatic dramas largely died out and there aren't many of them on TV anymore. So for the old school drama fans, have a look.
    oh this one looks really good! and Han Jae Suk is in it!!! woohoo! definitely on my watch list. it's not even out yet though huh?

haven't seen hjs in forever. i got to watch his earlier movie, "beyond hypothermia". he was great!

*goes and searches for this drama*
    ---------
    Shellie

Quote Originally Posted by shellie View Post
    oh this one looks really good! and Han Jae Suk is in it!!! woohoo! definitely on my watch list. it's not even out yet though huh?
    You are going to be dissapointed. This is a very female-drive drama, and all the men are minor supporting roles, including Han Jae Suk who is caught between the older sister(His fiance) and the younger sister(His first love).

You are going to be dissapointed. This is a very female-drive drama, and all the men are minor supporting roles, including Han Jae Suk who is caught between the older sister(His fiance) and the younger sister(His first love).
    why do you think i'll be disappointed? i know this will not be like "beyond hypothermia".

i'll report back after watching the first 3 episodes now available with english subs.

thanks for the recommendation.
    ---------
    Shellie

okay, i've watched up to episode 5 and i'm at a cliffhanger!!!

very good...sure it's got some parts ala glass slippers and even hjs but it's interesting all the same.

the younger sister is real spunky and in some angles she reminds me of a young joey wong so definitely a plus.

i'm disappointed in the mom, really. so she prefers one child over the other. if she wouldn't have been so freaking obvious, i think the sisters would have gotten along very well...

anyway, i can't wait to see the rest and it's getting more intense.
    ---------
    Shellie

she prefers one child over the other
    So she prefers her biological daughter over the adopted daughter, isn't that obvious?

So she prefers her biological daughter over the adopted daughter, isn't that obvious?

oh it's very obvious and eventually leads to her daughter's disappearance! i have to put most of the blame on the mother. she could've try to make the other daughter feel more loved...after all, she is the adult.

so you can't control your feelings but she was being pretty spiteful to the other gal...
    ---------
    Shellie

This show is becoming a "Must Watch" for all those viewers who grew up watching formula-dramas like "The Stairway to Heaven". Granted this is a formula-drama, but a really damn good one. Now the role is reversed and the evil older sister is the tortured crying girl(You can say she deserved it, but you still feel sorry for her), while the sweet little sister has gone evil with flames of vengeance burning in her eyes.

Highly recommended for The Stairway to Heaven fans.

Ok, the show's over.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Gang-attacked by the "evil" mother-daughter tag team of Adoptive Mom - Yoon Sawuel, Shin Do Yong drives away crying in her car, and decides to commit suicide by crashing her car. Do Yong is rushed to hospital and everyone gathers around, regretting their actions that led to Do Yong's accident. Just as unconscious Shin Do Yong was about to die, she meets her dead birth-mother in vision, who urges Do Yong to return to life and undo the wrongs she did in life before entering afterlife. She awakes, and everyone forgives her and evil adoptive mother finally accepts Do Yong as her daughter. Shin Do Yong confesses her past sin in public and retires from the announcer position. While Shin Do Yong and Yoon Sa Wuel are walking along a beach, Do Yong dies.

Basically, the ending was a cut-and-paste from several of typical Korean drama's formulatic endings and left a lot of viewers angry, because the show's conflict between characters were unusually good and ratings shot up. Angry people are comparing it to "Loves In Paris's infamous ending, which turned the whole show into a movie script that the writer was writing.

Who's the woman of the sun? The bad adoptive sister, the mum or bioogical sister? I can't see the relationship between the title and this description you guys are giving.

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    Who's the woman of the sun?
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://devnewsimg.mydaily.co.kr/2008/05/21/200805211023311117_2.jpg')

Ooh what a great review you posted up Thanks a lot!

Can't wait to watch this. Hopefully there will be Eng subs! I love traditional type dramas with suspenseful storylines. Plus HJS is still eye candy to me, yummy...hehehe....

this series storyline kinda sorta reminded me of FASHION 70'S...

I'm on ep 19 right now....

Han Jae Suk might be older now but gosh, i think he's still so hot...glad to know who's the person he really love but i have feeling they can't end up together...
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE View Post
    this series storyline kinda sorta reminded me of FASHION 70'S...

I'm on ep 19 right now....

Han Jae Suk might be older now but gosh, i think he's still so hot...glad to know who's the person he really love but i have feeling they can't end up together...
    i think hjs is still so hot too! let me know what you think.
    ---------
    Shellie

yup, the ending kinda ended like fashion 70's..

am i satisfied with the ending? it did closed up all loose ends but it wasn't fulfilling enough...something was missing..

I've started watching this last week...just because I have nothing new to watch, but I didn't expect that I would be hooked in a matter of days. The storyline is captivating.. I am so amazed how they unveil the real evil character of the lead performer as the story progresses...I am on episode 11 already...and can't get enough of it...

I've just finished this series. It is so wonderful, especially the last few episodes. Contrary to what others have said about the ending, I think the director/writer has presented two. Probably, because they don't want to disappoint the viewers. The first ending...she died, yes, but peacefully, having been forgiven by everyone. The other ending, she did not die, instead, she went away with her true love Dong Wu and started afresh a life now worthy of living.

Han Jae Suk is still good looking, I must agree with you...Hope to see more of him in the coming series.

Quote Originally Posted by rowenar View Post
    The first ending...she died, yes, but peacefully, having been forgiven by everyone.

This is the real and only ending.

The other ending, she did not die, instead, she went away with her true love Dong Wu and started afresh a life now worthy of living.
    No, this is not a reality, but more like a deathbed/afterlife vision....

oh...that makes sense now JonDOe...

[/b]This is the real and only ending.
    [b]

No, this is not a reality, but more like a deathbed/afterlife vision....

That mus be the same sort of ending as in 'Sang Doo goes to school' with Rain in it. I thought I had missed an episode or two. Like how can two people having been in a fatal accident suddenly are having a baby?

The other show with Li ha Na and Lee Jun Ki also had a strange ending. An afterlife too??

Anyway, is this worth buying?