Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most hated protagonists

The words in the book don't really steer your toward hating him because being JY's first novel, the perspective is extremely biased towards the Hans and the Red Flower Society, but if you take a neutral stance and re-evaluate the events in the book, you can really see how bad CJL is.

It's not that he is a morally corrupt character. He's more of an incompetent guy who does bad by trying to do good and trying to look like a great confucian hero.
    This account is retired.

Originally Posted by sniffles
    I suspect what Raden Wijaya was trying to say was a slang word, geeze (or sometimes jeeze), which is a bit like saying "oh for Pete's sake" or "for crying out loud" or other similar colloquial expressions of annoyance/dismay. Or for Chinese speakers, "Ai yo!"

I know that...

It's just that what he said was so ridiculous, I thought my reply should be just as ridiculous. I was originally gonna ask him to provide some examples from the book to back up what he said, but I knew it would just be a waste of time.
    To be honest, before I read ROCH book i liked yang guo the way TVB describe him, but dunno why after I read it..
    U right flyingfox..after all it's only a story, so it would be a waste of time to arguing.
    When you feel like you're the POOREST man in the world ....
    COUNT your BLESSING, then suddenly you are one of the RICHEST man in the universe!

The only protagonist that I have hated is Yang Guo. So there's not really a list for me.

Xiao Feng's hubris has always rubbed me wrong.

There's 'deserved' and 'undeserved' hubris and arrogance. By any account Xiao Feng deserves every bit of it. His accomplishments, both martial and nationwide, are tremendous, and is probably the single most SIGNIFICANT protagonist in any novel written by JY.

CJL is a complete failure as a person, and as a leader. Sometimes it's alright to make personally repugnant acts for the greater good. He didn't do that. He failed at literally every initiative and task he attempted. He failed his friends on a personal, and a professional level. He's a weak, incompetent leader, who's goals weren't ever well defined.

In short, he is, by far, the worst 'hero' of any book. It is arguable that he is one of the worst characters *period* in any book, going by 'fail' alone.

Duan Yu's obsession with Miss Wong was quite annoying and at times compulsive.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://riderfans.com/forum/image.php?u=129&type=sigpic&dateline=1196205212'), '')

I think that (one of) DGSD's themes is that there is no good hubris.