Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Au Yeung Hak's flunky maids: REALLY crappy fighters?

Default Au Yeung Hak's flunky maids: REALLY crappy fighters?

How weak were Au Yeung Hak's white-clad flunky maids as martial artists? They served as Au Yeung Hak's personal enforcer squad, but even the newbie Gwok Jing, who had just arrived from Mongolia with nothing more than his dubious Gong Nam 7 Freaks training and two years of Cheun Jen Sect inner power training under Ma Yuk, was able to take on several of them without much trouble. This means that these girls were horrible fighters...possibly even weaker than Yeung Teet Sum (who, at least at this point, could still at least intimidate Gwok Jing a bit with his spear).

They're cannon fodder characters at best. So much so that they weren't even given names.

So yes, they were in fact just that bad.

In his first encounter with them, GJ just galloped past them on his horse and caught a projectile fired from one of the chicks with his hat. He never fought with them.

That smell is TVB...
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    How weak were Au Yeung Hak's white-clad flunky maids as martial artists? They served as Au Yeung Hak's personal enforcer squad,
    Actually, I think they probably served as Ouyang Ke's personal enjoyment squad.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    In his first encounter with them, GJ just galloped past them on his horse and caught a projectile fired from one of the chicks with his hat. He never fought with them.

That smell is TVB...
    Yeah...anyway.

In the TVB version of events, Gwok Jing took on three of them hand to hand (well, the girls had daggers). What was funny about the scene is that the martial arts choreographer, Chan Hiu Dung, instructed Felix Wong to use very basic, simple looking martial arts moves...to emphasize that Gwok Jing wasn't a very good fighter yet and was still limited to fundamentals. It was funny, because the martial arts looked very "real" ("real" in the sense that they were recognizably the basic moves that beginner kung fu learners are taught in the first few weeks and months of training), not looking at all fancy like the later stuff that Felix would be choreographed to do as his character's martial arts improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    Actually, I think they probably served as Ouyang Ke's personal enjoyment squad.
    Maybe they double-dutied.

Oddly, it didn't seem like Au Yeung Hak was interested in his enforcer girls. He sent them to retrieve other girls for him, but he never seemed to make a move on the enforcers themselves.

It's not like they were ugly.

but he never seemed to make a move on the enforcers themselves.

Get your head out of the TVB toilet bowl before we smack you with a VHS copy of DGSD82 episode 1!

Those 'enforcer' girls were actually women he conquered and made to follow him. His charm was such that he never really 'raped' the girls if they were 100% unwilling. Not his style. He is not quite Tian Boguang.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Get your head out of the TVB toilet bowl before we smack you with a VHS copy of DGSD82 episode 1!
    Seriously, guys. Knock off the TVB abuse. It's getting on my nerves. You've known for years that this is an idiosyncrasy of mine, and it's not going to change now...especially if I feel that I'm getting browbeaten into it. I don't respond well to peer-pressure. If anything, it just makes me want to dig my heels in even more (because it's too much like losing an argument and besides, I'm a dick that way).

If you can't accept it, then just remain silent about it.

Those 'enforcer' girls were actually women he conquered and made to follow him. His charm was such that he never really 'raped' the girls if they were 100% unwilling. Not his style.
    He even said as much, even in LOCH '82. But those girls didn't behave like rape victims who were originally simple villagers. They might not have been very strong fighters, but they certainly acted like wulin veterans who knew the ins and outs of how to function in day-to-day wulin life.

Oddly, it didn't seem like Au Yeung Hak was interested in his enforcer girls. He sent them to retrieve other girls for him, but he never seemed to make a move on the enforcers themselves.

He had a large harem. They all wanted his favor. It was stated in the books that he taught them very little martial arts at all.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    He had a large harem. They all wanted his favor. It was stated in the books that he taught them very little martial arts at all.
    Which would explain why even a newbie Gwok Jing could easily beat them up.

They weren't of much help to him in fights, were they?

Which would explain why even a newbie Gwok Jing could easily beat them up.

They weren't of much help to him in fights, were they?
    That wasn't their purpose, and nope, they weren't.

It's kinda funny, actually. Ouyang Feng offered to give Yang Kang some pointers and advice, although at the time (due to Ouyang Ke still being alive) he couldn't take on Yang Kang as a formal disciple. It was stated that even his casual advice and pointers would have given Yang Kang tremendous benefits and advantages. Unfortunately, Yang Kang didn't really appreciate the offer, as he saw how shitty Ouyang Ke's 'apprentices' were, and didn't quite realize that the difference in ability between Ouyang Feng and Ouyang Ke was like that of heaven and earth. So he wasn't very enthusiastic about the offer; Ouyang Feng saw it, noted it, and never brought it up again.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 06-18-08 at 01:13 AM.

That wasn't their purpose, and nope, they weren't.

It's kinda funny, actually. Ouyang Feng offered to give Yang Kang some pointers and advice, although at the time (due to Ouyang Ke still being alive) he couldn't take on Yang Kang as a formal disciple. It was stated that even his casual advice and pointers would have given Yang Kang tremendous benefits and advantages. Unfortunately, Yang Kang didn't really appreciate the offer, as he saw how shitty Ouyang Ke's 'apprentices' were, and didn't quite realize that the difference in ability between Ouyang Feng and Ouyang Ke was like that of heaven and earth. So he wasn't very enthusiastic about the offer; Ouyang Feng saw it, noted it, and never brought it up again.
    Something must have changed in Yeung Hong's perspective between this occassion and the events at Iron Spear Temple, because by that time, Yeung Hong and Yeun Nan Hung Lit were scheming up ways to get Au Yeung Fung to formally accept Yeung Hong as his student. When Au Yeung Fung made the offer to do that, Yeung Hong couldn't wait to accept.

He always wanted to be Ouyang Feng's student; nothing changed. He just didn't want 'mere' pointers (which nonetheless would have been priceless).

Seriously, guys. Knock off the TVB abuse. It's getting on my nerves. You've known for years that this is an idiosyncrasy of mine, and it's not going to change now...especially if I feel that I'm getting browbeaten into it. I don't respond well to peer-pressure. If anything, it just makes me want to dig my heels in even more (because it's too much like losing an argument and besides, I'm a dick that way).

Put another way.

Put up with it if you continue to refuse to read the translations _and_ continue quoting TVB scripts as canon facts.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Put another way.

Put up with it if you continue to refuse to read the translations _and_ continue quoting TVB scripts as canon facts.

Hey, I'm not kidding. It's all fun and games up to a point, but when I say stop, I do mean *stop*.

I'm asking as a friend and peer. Don't make me enforce it through moderator authority.

When someone says, "I don't like this, please stop," you do. Otherwise, it's harassment.

I'm dead serious about this.

How weak were Au Yeung Hak's white-clad flunky maids as martial artists? They served as Au Yeung Hak's personal enforcer squad, but even the newbie Gwok Jing, who had just arrived from Mongolia with nothing more than his dubious Gong Nam 7 Freaks training and two years of Cheun Jen Sect inner power training under Ma Yuk, was able to take on several of them without much trouble. This means that these girls were horrible fighters...possibly even weaker than Yeung Teet Sum (who, at least at this point, could still at least intimidate Gwok Jing a bit with his spear).
    Probably not the best time, but this seems to be TVB nonsense. Qiu Chuji himself stated that Mu Nianci, after receiving training from Hong Qigong, had already surpassed the martial arts of her father (Yang Tiexin), and we both know that Guo Jing and Yang Kang's martial arts are better than that of Mu Nianci. So there's no way that Yang Tiexin could intimidate Guo Jing (and I don't think he even had the chance to in the novel).

Anyhow, the TVB bashing in this thread does seem to be disproportionate and excessive. That being said though, I really do not think there's much legitimate space for use of moderator abilities here. When all's said and done, most of us here are like fans of many stories; we love canon, and hate 'artistic liberties' taken by some adaptation-makers, of which TVB is the most egregarious, and like it even less with the adaptation-specific things are portrayed or postulated as canon. I think you'll find it very hard pressed to find legitimate reasons to keep people from voicing their opinions on TVB, when the opportunity presents itself.

Probably not the best time, but this seems to be TVB nonsense. Qiu Chuji himself stated that Mu Nianci, after receiving training from Hong Qigong, had already surpassed the martial arts of her father (Yang Tiexin), and we both know that Guo Jing and Yang Kang's martial arts are better than that of Mu Nianci. So there's no way that Yang Tiexin could intimidate Guo Jing (and I don't think he even had the chance to in the novel).

Anyhow, the TVB bashing in this thread does seem to be disproportionate and excessive. That being said though, I really do not think there's much legitimate space for use of moderator abilities here. When all's said and done, most of us here are like fans of many stories; we love canon, and hate 'artistic liberties' taken by some adaptation-makers, of which TVB is the most egregarious, and like it even less with the adaptation-specific things are portrayed or postulated as canon. I think you'll find it very hard pressed to find legitimate reasons to keep people from voicing their opinions on TVB, when the opportunity presents itself.
    Criticizing TVB isn't the problem. Even I criticize TVB...OFTEN (although not necessarily in this context).

The personal attack tone it's taking on is.

Saying "TVB didn't adapt that accurately. This is how it really happened..." is fine. GREAT, even.

But the "Get your head out of TVB's toilet bowl" type stuff HAS to stop.

I'm not defending TVB. There are no sacred cows there.

I'm defending myself because I'm tired of being harassed about it. I didn't mind it when it first started, but I've had enough. I wish people would respect that and draw the line.

Criticizing TVB isn't the problem. Even I criticize TVB...OFTEN (although not necessarily in this context).

The personal attack tone it's taking on is.

Saying "TVB didn't adapt that accurately. This is how it really happened..." is fine. GREAT, even.

But the "Get your head out of TVB's toilet bowl" type stuff HAS to stop.

I'm not defending TVB. There are no sacred cows there.

I'm defending myself because I'm tired of being harassed about it. I didn't mind it when it first started, but I've had enough. I wish people would respect that and draw the line.
    Two things.

1st. I think you are being over-sensitive. I don't see what I wrote qualifying as being mean spirited.

2nd. To use an analogy. Imagine that this is a Honda Car Fanatic forum. A regular poster comes along and keeps stating that the 2008 Honda Accord has 6 wheels. When pointed to pictures and Honda brochures he refuses to look at them. Do you expect that after 600 or so posts, every other response to such mistakes to be nice and sweet "I am sorry, but the fact is that the 2008 Honda Accord only has 4 wheels" or something more along the line of "Go read the gawdamn brochure or look out the gawdamn window will ya??!!!".

In fact, I don't mind or care that you don't want to read the translations. I myself have not read some of JY's novels.

The difference is that when I have not read, say DOMD, I would not go round starting posts like - Wei Xiaobao learnt his 18 Dragon Palms just by listening to the beggar elder recite the formula once! Why would Xiao Feng need 2 days to learn it if he is supposedly more talented?

It would be much more polite to post - "The 09 CTV version of DOMD showed WXB learning the Dragon Palms in 2 mins. Did this really happen"

Now my turn to cry. I think threatening to use moderator privileges to force your brand of eccentricity on other forum posters is bullying and weight throwing.

I think Ken is just having a bad month.

Don't worry though, the SWORD GOD anniversary month is almost here. That should cheer you up!
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I agree with CC. For all this time I've liked Ken but recently I noticed an increase in Ken's sense of self-awareness. With polls such as "do you make polls public because of me?" and "is Ken Cheng a bitter old man?", it makes me think that you have some sort of self-perceived greatness and importance. Obviously as Moderator, you can feel good about yourself but this is a bit over IMO.

And quoting from Spiderman. Basically power comes with responsibility and for you, that is to not abuse your power. If this "issue" happened to some other member, he/she would just cope it or talk back in his/her fashion, instead of "shut up, or you'll regret it". Should you be treated differently because you are a Moderator whose authority stems from the members?

This discussion would probably lead to nowhere as you have stated that you hate losing arguments, which I do too.