Thread: How would Wong Yung have judged Cheung Chung Kai's (Mo Dong Hero # 4) intelligence?

Default How would Wong Yung have judged Cheung Chung Kai's (Mo Dong Hero # 4) intelligence?

Wong Yung is considered one of the most intelligent (if indeed not THE most intelligent) character in Jin Yong's canon. Aside from her father, East Heretic Wong Yerk See, nobody is in her class in the brainpower department.

Cheung Chung Kai, Mo Dong Hero # 4, was considered the most intelligent among the Mo Dong 7 Heroes. Indeed, the guy had a good head on his shoulders, and constantly made keen, incisive judgments. Cheung 3 Fung was always interested in hearing Cheung Chung Kai's opinion on important matters because CCK would always provide a lucid, circumspect assessment of the situation.

Cheung Chung Kai likely isn't in Wong Yung's class, but if Wong Yung had met him, would she have found his intelligence impressive? Would she have regarded his intelligence as strong enough to be worthy of her respect, even though he isn't likely to outsmart her?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Wong Yung is considered one of the most intelligent (if indeed not THE most intelligent) character in Jin Yong's canon. Aside from her father, East Heretic Wong Yerk See, nobody is in her class in the brainpower department.
    No mention of Zhao Min

Anyway I think Hero #4 is smart... but more in terms of books and knowledge. But assuming he had some real intelligence, I still don't think it matches Huang Rong.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Anyway I think Hero #4 is smart... but more in terms of books and knowledge.
    Actually, he was very slick in daily smarts as well, maybe even more so than the book counterpart.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

Cheung Chung Kai, Mo Dong Hero # 4, was considered the most intelligent among the Mo Dong 7 Heroes. Indeed, the guy had a good head on his shoulders, and constantly made keen, incisive judgments. Cheung 3 Fung was always interested in hearing Cheung Chung Kai's opinion on important matters because CCK would always provide a lucid, circumspect assessment of the situation.

Cheung Chung Kai likely isn't in Wong Yung's class, but if Wong Yung had met him, would she have found his intelligence impressive? Would she have regarded his intelligence as strong enough to be worthy of her respect, even though he isn't likely to outsmart her?
    Actually, I think it's mentioned somewhere that Yang Guo was also in the league of Huang Rong's intelligence. And even if Yang Guo isn't as smart as Huang Rong, she respected his intelligence. So even if Hero #4 isn't as smart as Huang Rong, I think she's nice enough to respect him. After all, he's really just a minor character who's not really known for much besides being smart.

Can novel readers post a list of instances where Zhang Songxi shows off his intelligence?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Actually, he was very slick in daily smarts as well, maybe even more so than the book counterpart.
    Cheung Chung Kai was level-headed and circumspect. He was cool under pressure and saw situations with greater clarity and depth than most people, including his six brothers. He was not, however, a trickster like Wong Yung, Wai Siu Bo, or Yeung Gor were. It would be inconsistent with this ethics as a Mo Dong Hero.

Actually, I think it's mentioned somewhere that Yang Guo was also in the league of Huang Rong's intelligence.
    I remember reading that too.

Zhao Min would also be in there. There are also various people in the novels that have the same level of intelligence. Personally, I think it was also mentioned that HYS is even smarter than his daughter.
    Last edited by ChanceEncounter; 06-20-08 at 07:44 PM.

Wasn't Huang Rong's mother also said to be quite intelligent as well?

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    I remember reading that too.

Zhao Min would also be in there. There are also various people in the novels that have the same level of intelligence. Personally, I think it was also mentioned that HYS is even smarter than her daughter.
    Several times, in fact. The only reason Huang Rong seems so smart is because Guo Jing is so dumb.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Several times, in fact. The only reason Huang Rong seems so smart is because Guo Jing is so dumb.
    HYS is more knowledgable than Huang Rong for sure, but the innate "intelligence", I'm not too sure.

I never found Huang Rong to be that impressive in intelligence. Sure she came up with clever schemes and ways to get out of sticky situations, and she learned martial arts fast, but so did many other people. HYS however created and was a master of countless fields of study. It may be because Huang Rong is young that she did not master this yet, but I was never really really impressed by anything she did. Most of her intelligence comes from others praising her. It's kind of like Guo Jing's "lack" of martial arts talent. His actions don't necessarily show it, but the author and others say it enough for it to be a characteristic of his.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I never found Huang Rong to be that impressive in intelligence. Sure she came up with clever schemes and ways to get out of sticky situations, and she learned martial arts fast, but so did many other people. HYS however created and was a master of countless fields of study. It may be because Huang Rong is young that she did not master this yet, but I was never really really impressed by anything she did. Most of her intelligence comes from others praising her. It's kind of like Guo Jing's "lack" of martial arts talent. His actions don't necessarily show it, but the author and others say it enough for it to be a characteristic of his.
    Huang Rong impressed a lot of people. She impressed Ying Gu with her knowledge of mathematics, and is said to have around 30% (can't quite remember) of her father's knowledge. Rather impress considering she was only 16. She impressed "scholarly" characters like Zhu Ziliu with her knowledge of Chinese. And I think that she deserves all her praise, because she wasn't really much of a show-off either.

Zhang Songxi was more in the mould of Zhuge Liang or Pang Tong, able to devise plans or deploy personnel. Although, he was not at the same level of Zhuge Liang and Pang Tong.

Huang Rong and Zhao Min though intelligence, often rely on their wits. Wits and inteliigence are different, not much though.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    Huang Rong impressed a lot of people. She impressed Ying Gu with her knowledge of mathematics, and is said to have around 30% (can't quite remember) of her father's knowledge. Rather impress considering she was only 16. She impressed "scholarly" characters like Zhu Ziliu with her knowledge of Chinese. And I think that she deserves all her praise, because she wasn't really much of a show-off either.
    That was my whole point. She impressed many people in the novel with things I did not find especially impressive. The author praised her to heaven for it, therefore she is exceptionally intelligent.

Guo Jing accomplished incredible feats I found impressive, but the author states he is rather dumb and has no martial art talent, as many people have repeatedly said. Therefore he is dumb and has no talent.

If we go by facts presented to us then Huang Rong is indeed super intelligent. If we just go by what she demonstrated, I don't necessarily feel that Zhao Min, Xie Xun, Yang Xiao (and this is just out of HSDS) etc are naturally less intelligent than her. Someone like Wu Yazi or Huang Yaoshi or any number of people have shown intelligence to be at least on par with her, but they also had the drive and tenacity to refine their mental capacities, making them much "smarter" in my book.

That's because Huang Yaoshi is smarter than Huang Rong, and Wu Yazi is also likely smarter as well.

Huang Rong is very intelligent, but she's not even the most intelligent character in her own novel. You're right, her intelligence is blown a little out of proportion because of her interaction with the relatively stupid Guo Jing, and her praise from the author and various characters.
    Last edited by ChanceEncounter; 06-22-08 at 02:31 AM.