Thread: Wuxia Book [Not Titled Yet]

Default Wuxia Book [Not Titled Yet]

I'm writing a Wuxia book but I can't think of any names. I am stuck on the second chapter because of this. Does anyone have any suggestions for names for my characters [first and last, male and female]? Thanks! It would be a big hep.

-Guo Xiang

Hey, sorry, I don't have any names, but I'm really curious about this wuxia book you're writing because there can never be too many stories out there. Is it going to be in Chinese or English? Best of luck!

Default Wuxia Book

English. I only know how to write and speak in English. That's the problem, I can't make up any Chinese names. I have been studying Gu Long and Jin Yong's style of writing but I am afraid that my book will not turn out good or I will steal to many ideas from Wuxia authors without knowing it. I am only an amateur writer and I usually write freestyle poetry so I am afraid it will not turn out good. Also the title might not make any sense. Once I wrote a poem about the grass and called it Roses. My Wuxia book will be different because there are no real great heroes. There is however a character who thinks he is a great hero. It might take forever to write because I don’t have the whole story figured out. I might not even post it.

-Guo Xiang

Thanks Dedra!

I have a suggestion...rather than giving you random names I suggest that you should come up with names that suit your characters or that brings personality to your characters. For example, for a gentle maiden, you would want to give her a delicate pretty name. Perhaps a name of a flower or something that brings delicacy to the character. As for finding the names in Chinese, I'm not Chinese myself but I don't think it's hard to find Chinese equivalent words. You can find different variations of names from different novels and try to figure what's the Chinese equivalent of the name you have in mind.

As for you worrying about how your story won't turn out well...I suggest that you try anyways because your perception of what's good can be very different from us. I do see what you mean by being afraid that you'll steal other ideas without realizing it though. In this case, maybe it's best that you first decide on the plot of your story and then try to come up with leading events that leads to the climax. Be firm about what you really want and stick to it. That way...even when you are reading other fics you'll just read it for inspiration or minor ideas that won't affect the overall plot/story. Be confident in what you have to say and tell in your story.

Talking Wuxia Book

Thanks for the tips and the engouragment! I've already figured out one of the characters names!

-Guo Xiang

I'm actually glad to hear that you're writing the story in English, and I applaud you for your effort. I'm actually trying to write my own wuxia novels in English as well, so I completely understand the difficulty you're having (problems coming up with names included). I also think it's great that you're studying Gu Long and Jin Yong, though I know what you mean about unintentionally stealing ideas from wuxia writers. However, just from your little tidbit about what your story is about, it sounds like a really interesting and unique idea that hasn't been done before. I'd really like to know more about it if you're okay with sharing, and I'd be happy to help out with anything if I can (feedback, etc.). My email address is barbc24 @ gmail . com (without the spaces, of course), or if you have AIM, my screen name is Dedrasays, though I'm not on AIM that much, so email is probably your best bet. Hope to hear more from you soon!

I would suggest you not worry about stealing from well known authors' work, as long as the story is yours. There is really no truly original work. It is how you give life to your characters, the environment and what they do/dont do.

As for names, why not give them an english name (e.g. David, Chelsea, Rose, etc) and use chinese surnames based on the mandarin (official) chinese pronounciation. Here are some examples of chinese surnames .... I am sure you can find more, by googling.

Zhou, Yang, Chen, Lee/Li, Cheng, Tsai, Lin, Wang, Huang, Hung, Tu, Teng, Wu, Chu, Tang, Chang, Zhang, Lu, Fu, etc...

Please write your story and share it with us, as soon as you can .... and THANKS!

Haha, this reminds me of WXB being called Wilson Bond and Xiao Feng being called Kevin. That's really weird. But I think it's ok to use names like Wind, Lotus, Snow etc. That's how some people translate classic chinese novels like 'Dream of the Red Chamber'.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Default Wuxia Book [still not titlled]

I still don't have a title but my LA teacher said that a title is the last thing that you should put anyway. It's going to be a short story though as you can tell my this prologue. I gave one of the characters a generic name and the other one a name that kidd suggested and the underlined because I am probably going to change the later but I didn't just want blanks. Thanks Kidd and genius8. Well here it goes.

She sat in the moonlight and smiled an empty smile. Her life was now perfect and yet she was worried. She had a feeling that she had forgotten something, something important. With a laugh she decided that she was being silly and headed off to bed. In a peaceful town like this one what could happen?

“Do you remember who did this to you?!” screamed the figure in black. “Yes master.” Snow said her head bowed. Half of her body was burnt and scarred by this person. How could she forget? “Then,” the figure said calmly “you know why he needs to die a slow and painful death.” It was not a question but a statement. For years Snow had been wandering the streets. No one had wanted to take her in because of what she looked liked. Dejected she had wandered in to an abandoned temple where she met her master. She never found out her master’s name but she didn’t care; at least she had someone to look after her and someone to help her get the only thing she had wanted for so long. Revenge.

Li was ecstatic. She was coming. After ten years she was finally coming back. She was the only thing he had thought about; the only thing that distracted him from the pain of eight years ago. The only reason he had left to live. Little did her know that she had forgotten all about him.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to make suggestions and please be blunt.

-Guo Xiang
    Last edited by Guo Xiang ( :; 06-26-08 at 11:12 AM.

You are welcome.

The intro not bad. I wonder who the 'she' will be.

“Do you remember who did this to you?!” screamed the figure in black.
    I don't know. The word 'scream' doesn't sound very authoritative. It just makes me think of a crazy unreasonable woman in the middle of an argument screaming out her argument when she's in the losing end.
    But, I can't think of a better word to replace it. 'Shout' doesn't seem that right either.

My idea of a scream is always those noise made by people in horror movies.
    Maybe I'm just being weird. Don't mind me.

Found some typo.

Li was estatic. She was coming. After ten years she was finally coming back. She was the only thing he had though about; the only thing that distracted him fro the pain of eight years ago. The only reason he had left to live. Little did her know that she had forgotten all about him.
    Li was estatic. She was coming. After ten years she was finally coming back. She was the only thing he had thought about; the only thing that distracted him from the pain of eight years ago. The only reason he had left to live. Little did her know that she had forgotten all about him.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-26-08 at 12:26 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Default Wuxia Book

Thanks! I fixed the typos. The figure in black is a women and insane but I don't want to give to much away.

-Guo Xiang
    Last edited by Guo Xiang ( :; 06-26-08 at 12:04 PM.

Default Book

Sorry this book is taking so long. I am going on a 3 day vacation and right after that I have to help my mom teach summer school for 3 weeks plus I have soccer and volunteering for Leesylvania Park so it will take a while to write this book.

-Xiang

Default Oh well.

The story's not coming along great. I think I'll study for a couple more years.
    *sigh*
    Oh well. I don't have enough experience.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Don't lose heart! =)