Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Legendary Twins

Default The Legendary Twins

I think we focus so much on Jin Yong's characters lately.
    Let talk about Gu Long. I think characters of "The Legendary Twins" are very interesting to talk about. Men are very handsome and intelligent while women are very good looking (no ugly woman here), more good looking than Jin Yong's... In term of beautiful women, it is much better to live in Gu Long world than our real world... Personality are much more unpredictable....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legendary_Twins

Let talk about all the hotties here:
    Yiu Yuet (Yao Yue)
    Liang Xing
    Hua Yuet Nu
    Tie XinLan
    Xu Ying
    Murong Xian or Cheung Tsing (Little Fairie)

So far I watch 1987 TVB version with Tony Leung, 1999 version with Jimmy Lin, and 2004 version with Dicky Cheung.

For 1987 TVB version, I like Su Ying the best. 1999 version, I like Cheung Tsing (Little Fairie) the best. and lastly, 2004 version, I like Murong Xian (Little Fairie) the best...

Anyway, I think the story is very good. Each character is very unique in term of personality. None of the character is similar to the other.....

Gu Long's women are all crazy biatches

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan View Post
    Gu Long's women are all crazy biatches
    Only Yiu Yuet in this novel...
    Hua Yuet Nu, Tie Xinlan, Su Ying, and Little Fairie are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    In term of beautiful women, it is much better to live in Gu Long world than our real world...
    Man, that would be like a paradise.

Back to the topic, I had a special liking towards Lianxing. She can be tough yet sometimes had a softer side of her personality. Yan Nantian plus Jiang Feng would probably make out the perfect man (handsome, muscular, powerful, charming)
    ..ext88

Yao Yue is comparable to a goddess because she is unrivalled in terms of beauty and martial arts. She can be considered perfect as she has what both Jiang Feng (looks) and Yan Nan Tian (martial arts) has in a women. She is strong, independant and fearless. This is something truly that hardly any women has.

Her sister Lian Xing is almost like her. But her life is so miserable that she is not only handicap but she has to obey her big sister's order. At the end, it is so sad that she died in the hands of her very own sister. She's truly someone that is pityful.

Tie Xin Lan must be the most boring character ever created. She only know how to cry and ask help from both the twins. I am wondering why both the twins like her.....

I like to see Little Fairy explode into anger. Most of the time she will be fierce and mean. Its strange for someone so hot tempered like her to fall for a naughty boy like Xiao Yu Er.

Su Ying's words are full of wisdom and her actions can be considered to be out of other people's expectation. Her words with Xiao Yu Er are usually very interesting. Though not knowing any martial arts is still a huge disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendroid King View Post
    Yao Yue is comparable to a goddess because she is unrivalled in terms of beauty and martial arts. She can be considered perfect as she has what both Jiang Feng (looks) and Yan Nan Tian (martial arts) has in a women. She is strong, independant and fearless. This is something truly that hardly any women has.
    If she is that perfect, I wonder why Jiang Feng didn't accept her love... She is not all that in the 1987's TVB version. HYN is so much more beautiful than her in that version...

Her sister Lian Xing is almost like her. But her life is so miserable that she is not only handicap but she has to obey her big sister's order. At the end, it is so sad that she died in the hands of her very own sister. She's truly someone that is pityful.

Tie Xin Lan must be the most boring character ever created. She only know how to cry and ask help from both the twins. I am wondering why both the twins like her.....
    Yeah, I dislike Tie Xin Lan, she is good but boring...

I like to see Little Fairy explode into anger. Most of the time she will be fierce and mean. Its strange for someone so hot tempered like her to fall for a naughty boy like Xiao Yu Er.
    I don't like her in 1987 TVB version, but really like her in 1999 and 2004 version. She is the best in that 2 versions especially the 2004. Her love story with Little Fish is very touching in that series...

Su Ying's words are full of wisdom and her actions can be considered to be out of other people's expectation. Her words with Xiao Yu Er are usually very interesting. Though not knowing any martial arts is still a huge disadvantage.
    she is the best in 1987 TVB version. She is good but boring in 2004 version...

There's a thread on the Amazing Twins already. You gotta go back a few pages to find it though.
    This account is retired.

So far I watch 1987 TVB version with Tony Leung, 1999 version with Jimmy Lin, and 2004 version with Dicky Cheung.

For 1987 TVB version, I like Su Ying the best. 1999 version, I like Cheung Tsing (Little Fairie) the best. and lastly, 2004 version, I like Murong Xian (Little Fairie) the best...

Anyway, I think the story is very good. Each character is very unique in term of personality. None of the character is similar to the other.....
    One of my favorite novel! (but seem like, not much people like the story and the characters )

Xiao Yu Er is my #1 favorite wuxia character (along with Linghu Chong^^). Su Yin is one of the best female character. Tie Xinlan was fine at the beginning, but I cannot stand her when she start to keep crying. Hua Wuque is OK. Yao Yue and Lian Xing are ones of the best villains. The adventurous plots are very good and imaginative. And I totally love Xiao Yu Er and Su Yin's funny interactions.

I've watched the 1987 version and 2004 version. To me, the 1987 one is okay as a serial, but really bad as an adaptation. As much as I love Tony Leung, he didn't portray XYE good enough. Shallin Ja was pretty good as Su Yin, though. The 2004 version is really the worst, bad as a serial AND as an adaptation. I only watched the beginning part of the 1999 version, and I was irked already with Jimmy Lin's exagerrated facial expressions >_<

Seem like the TVB 1979 adaptation is the best, as its the closest to the book. I've only watched the clips, but even from those clips, I can already say that Michelle Mai Suet is The Best Su Yin!!^^ She portrayed her exactly like how I imagined her when I read the book.

I really love Mai Suet's Su Yin in this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVRNJ-KdSXY

Another one on Xiao Yu Er and Su Yin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB-BcdEfKjg

I've found more clips of the 1979 series before. I'll post it when I find it.
    Last edited by loislane; 06-30-08 at 08:18 PM.

Tie Xin Lan fits Hua Wuque perfectly
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

Quote Originally Posted by loislane View Post
    One of my favorite novel! (but seem like, not much people like the story and the characters )

Xiao Yu Er is my #1 favorite wuxia character (along with Linghu Chong^^). Su Yin is one of the best female character. Tie Xinlan was fine at the beginning, but I cannot stand her when she start to keep crying. Hua Wuque is OK. Yao Yue and Lian Xing are ones of the best villains. The adventurous plots are very good and imaginative. And I totally love Xiao Yu Er and Su Yin's funny interactions.

I've watched the 1987 version and 2004 version. To me, the 1987 one is okay as a serial, but really bad as an adaptation. As much as I love Tony Leung, he didn't portray XYE good enough. Shallin Ja was pretty good as Su Yin, though. The 2004 version is really the worst, bad as a serial AND as an adaptation. I only watched the beginning part of the 1999 version, and I was irked already with Jimmy Lin's exagerrated facial expressions >_<

Seem like the TVB 1979 adaptation is the best, as its the closest to the book. I've only watched the clips, but even from those clips, I can already say that Michelle Mai Suet is The Best Su Yin!!^^ She portrayed her exactly like how I imagined her when I read the book.

The 1987 version had good ending and Tony is really funny as little fish. I really like the series. However, Tony's love story is very shallow, nothing special. The 2004 had sad ending but the story line is decent, not as good as the 1987 version. However, Dicky is also funny as little fish but he is too old for the role. I really like Dicky's love story with little Fairy. It is really touching, much deeper than Tony's love story... I don't like 1999 version much except the part with little Fairy. I haven't watch the 1979 version so I can't judge...

Yes, me too. My favourite is Xiao Yu Er Character, his character is very smart and funny and Xiao Yu Er is very handsome

Mu Rung Xian is very pretty, but she character is very cruel with Xiao Yu Er and she is hated Xiao Yu Er, although, she is make peace with Xiao Yu Er

Yao Yue Character is like cruel but in his heart is very softly and good. I also like this woman

Is there an english translation of the novel available? If there is, I highly recommend it. Much better than any tv series portrayal, I guarantee.
    This account is retired.

If she is that perfect, I wonder why Jiang Feng didn't accept her love...
    He didn't accept her because despite her perfection in terms of beauty and martial arts, she really creeps him out with her personality.

Personality counts at the end of the day, and Yaoyue's personality clearly did not impress Jiang Feng... If anything, her personality only serves to depress him and of course, kill him.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    Is there an english translation of the novel available? If there is, I highly recommend it. Much better than any tv series portrayal, I guarantee.
    You don't have to look any farther than here at spcnet. The novel is translated by a group of members at spcnet (majority was done by Jean) in wuxia translation forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillyana View Post
    Yes, me too. My favourite is Xiao Yu Er Character, his character is very smart and funny and Xiao Yu Er is very handsome
    Yep, that's exactly what I like from Xiao Yu Er too! Smart, funny, and handsome None of the actors who has portrayed XYE, are even close yet.

Btw, can anyone help me name all the 10 villains in the book? I read the book 3-4 years ago, my memory fails me. I read that only the 1979 version that has all the 10 villains. The rest cuts them down to 3-5 villains only.

I agree. Besides the novel, I also highly recommend the comic by He Zhi Wen. Wonderful illustrations and excellent details to describe what happens in the novel. Although its missing some plot details here and there, it is 95% faithful to the book.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/The%20Twins/0113183A9.jpg')
    Last edited by loislane; 07-04-08 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    You don't have to look any farther than here at spcnet. The novel is translated by a group of members at spcnet (majority was done by Jean) in wuxia translation forum.
    Cool, all the better. I don't go to the translation section of the forum so I didn't know.

From what posters have written in this thread, it's pretty obvious that the tv adaptations have been... ahem... quite liberal with changing the story.
    This account is retired.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Cool, all the better. I don't go to the translation section of the forum so I didn't know.

From what posters have written in this thread, it's pretty obvious that the tv adaptations have been... ahem... quite liberal with changing the story.
    hehe, the book translation job already completed loooong ago!

I agree. Besides the novel, I also highly recommend the comic by He Zhi Wen. Wonderful illustrations and excellent details to describe what happens in the novel. Although its missing some plot details here and there, it is 95% faithful to the book.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/0113183A9.jpg')
    Who is the girl with the cat's ears? The girl with the blue curly hair looks so English.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Who is the girl with the cat's ears? The girl with the blue curly hair looks so English.
    I'm positive that the 'catgirl' is Tie Xinlan while the curly-haired girl... I don't know... but she looks remotely like Murong Jiu or is Murong Jiu the one next to Yaoyue... hmm....

Lianxing didn't show up in the pix. I thought she looks better than Yaoyue in the manga... As opposed to Yaoyue's devilish beauty in the manga, Lianxing had a fairy-like beauty.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."