Thread: How much did Wong Yung care about Yeung Teet Sum/Pau Sik Yerk's problems?

Default How much did Wong Yung care about Yeung Teet Sum/Pau Sik Yerk's problems?

Not long after she first met Gwok Jing, Wong Yung found herself neck-deep in the conflict between Yeung Teet Sum and Yeun Nan Hung Lit over Pau Sik Yerk. Wong Yung personally had nothing to do with these individuals and their problems. She got involved only because Gwok Jing was involved. Still, did she grow to ever develop an independent interest in helping Yeung Teet Sum and Pau Sik Yerk with their problems, or did she remain involved only for Gwok Jing's sake?

considering she was with GJ the whole time...i don't think it ever clearly indicate whether she cared for them or not. chances are, she didn't. she was pretty upset with Yang Tie Xin's request anyway.

I don't think she particularly cared for them too much. She was there because Guo Jing was there.

Not at all. They originally went into the palace to steal herbs for Wang Chuyi, but Huang Rong insisted on a detour to the princess's residence so she could satisfy her curiosity about the princess's beauty. Once they had a look at her, they then went to fetch the herbs. Guo Jing went into the apothecary, while Huang Rong kept a lookout. They were then split up by the actions of the Jin flunkies, before Huang Rong got away. She then hid, and only showed herself after Guo Jing had extracted a promise from Mei Chaofeng that MCF would protect HR. Later on, HR taunted MCF with the fact that she'd hoodwinked her into believing that Huang Yaoshi was around, enraging MCF into forgetting about her paralysis and rushing for HR, causing HR to flee. HR didn't appear again until Qiu Chuji and the Freaks pressed Guo Jing about marriage to Mu Nianci and Huazheng, and she said nothing about the Yang couple, but directed insults at Zhu Cong and Han Baoju who'd called her father a demon and her a demoness, and whisked Guo Jing away on the little red horse.

In early LOCH at least, Huang Rong had bare empathy with anyone who wasn't directly acquainted with her. People who had associations with Guo Jing would be judged depending on how they affected her relationship with Guo Jing, while strangers would be treated as tools or playthings for her use. She wanted to know about Bao Xiruo because she felt the princess may pose some kind of threat, until she was satisfied BXR was far too old for him. She probably resented Yang Tiexin for imposing the marriage contract on Guo Jing, but since he was dead, she directed her resentment at Mu Nianci and Qiu Chuji instead, soundly abusing the cownose and beating up Mu Nianci and preparing to torture her if she didn't agree to give up on Guo Jing.

I don't think WY was even aware of the relationship between YG's birth parents. GJ himself was not involved in escape attempt. WY could have been watching from the sidelines because she was not with GJ at the time.

I don't remember how TVB changed the story though. Probably dragged it out loooooooooong.

Even LOCH2003 lengthened the whole event. In the novel, the Yang and Bao died on the same night they reunited, but LOCH2003 made it so that YTX LEFT and then RE-ENTERED the palace no less than twice, which is totally ridiculous. If it's no easy to penetrate into a royal palace that even a regular guy with some athleticism can go in and out at will, why don't some wulin people just sneak in and assassinate all the hated Jin royalty they want??

Then later GJ and the 7 Freaks are shown arriving just as the Jins leave after Yang and Bao are dead. Now I wonder where the hell were GJ and the Freaks? Did they tour the city first? GJ had gotten the medicine the night before. One would figure that he and his masters would rush the medicine over...

That's my least favorite change in LOCH2003. If you change one part of the story, you have to change other parts to compensate. If you don't, the logic of the story gets messed up.
    This account is retired.

To be fair, that part of the novel was confusing in its chronology and location and events even in the text, and it was something of a relief when the Yangs finally bought it and the story could move on. LOCH is very well-paced at times, but some parts, such as this and the Yideng sequence, drag on without any real point.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    To be fair, that part of the novel was confusing in its chronology and location and events even in the text, and it was something of a relief when the Yangs finally bought it and the story could move on. LOCH is very well-paced at times, but some parts, such as this and the Yideng sequence, drag on without any real point.
    I didn't find that part confusing (I'm reading the novel now).

HR doesn't appear to like YK from the first time they meet, so finding out that these people are his parents wouldn't interest her much, I think. She's pretty self-absorbed at that point in the story, as pannonian points out.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

What Pannonian said; all the stuff related to Yang Tiexin happened within the space of a night, and Huang Rong wasn't there for any of it.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    What Pannonian said; all the stuff related to Yang Tiexin happened within the space of a night, and Huang Rong wasn't there for any of it.
    Hold on a second, Ren...ALL THE STUFF? You mean a single night passes from the time that Gwok Jing encounters Yeung Teet Sum to the point that Yeung commits suicide?

That *can't* be right, could it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Hold on a second, Ren...ALL THE STUFF? You mean a single night passes from the time that Gwok Jing encounters Yeung Teet Sum to the point that Yeung commits suicide?

Yes. The events take place throughout that night.
    This account is retired.

Yup, that's the case. Everything happens in the space of one night (and maybe a bit of the next morning).

Yup, that's the case. Everything happens in the space of one night (and maybe a bit of the next morning).
    That's alot of stuff that has to happen within twelve hours.

1. Four principal characters have to meet for the first time: Gwok Jing/Yeung Hong/Yeung Teet Sum/Muk Lim Chi.

2. Gwok Jing has to find out that Yeung Teet Sum was his father's sworn brother.

3. Yeung Teet Sum has to find out that Yeung Hong is his son and the Jin princess, his wife Pau Sik Yerk.

4. Yeun Nan Hung Lit's role as mastermind behind the Gwok/Yeung family tragedies must be revealed.

5. Wong Chui 1 showing up, then getting poisoned/injured by the Jin Empire's mercenary martial artists.

6. Gwok Jing fighting and killing Leung Tze Yung's snake while attempting to acquire the poison antidote for Wong Chui 1.

7. Yau Chui Gei, Ma Yuk, and the Gong Nam 6 Freaks reappearing to get involved in the whole mess too.

8. Yeung Teet Sum and Pau Sik Yerk's suicide.

LOCH '82 stretched out that sequence of events to about nine episodes (i.e. 360 minutes of screentime), covering the events as a series of things that occurred over a period of several months. Somehow, in the novel, that was all condensed to just twelve hours or so?

I mean, I know LOCH '82 stretched out this sequence (much to my and others' boredom) significantly, but I figured it was just a few days or weeks stretching out to several months. Instead, it's several *hours* stretched out to several months.

That means Gwok Jing met North Beggar Hung 7 Gung within days of arriving in the Central Plains from Mongolia, eh?

i think GJ & HR frolicked together for a while before meeting H7G? i don't remember too well.

though speaking of LOCH '82, technically only spend 6 hrs. that's about 1/2 the time of the story .

That's alot of stuff that has to happen within twelve hours.

1. Four principal characters have to meet for the first time: Gwok Jing/Yeung Hong/Yeung Teet Sum/Muk Lim Chi.

2. Gwok Jing has to find out that Yeung Teet Sum was his father's sworn brother.

3. Yeung Teet Sum has to find out that Yeung Hong is his son and the Jin princess, his wife Pau Sik Yerk.

4. Yeun Nan Hung Lit's role as mastermind behind the Gwok/Yeung family tragedies must be revealed.

5. Wong Chui 1 showing up, then getting poisoned/injured by the Jin Empire's mercenary martial artists.

6. Gwok Jing fighting and killing Leung Tze Yung's snake while attempting to acquire the poison antidote for Wong Chui 1.

7. Yau Chui Gei, Ma Yuk, and the Gong Nam 6 Freaks reappearing to get involved in the whole mess too.

8. Yeung Teet Sum and Pau Sik Yerk's suicide.

LOCH '82 stretched out that sequence of events to about nine episodes (i.e. 360 minutes of screentime), covering the events as a series of things that occurred over a period of several months. Somehow, in the novel, that was all condensed to just twelve hours or so?

I mean, I know LOCH '82 stretched out this sequence (much to my and others' boredom) significantly, but I figured it was just a few days or weeks stretching out to several months. Instead, it's several *hours* stretched out to several months.

That means Gwok Jing met North Beggar Hung 7 Gung within days of arriving in the Central Plains from Mongolia, eh?
    Here was the timeline, going off of my head:

Wang Chuyi showed up and was poisoned by the Jin flunkies while helping Guo Jing; this was before Yang Tiexin had revealed himself to his wife. In desperation, Guo Jing and Huang Rong headed off to the Wanyan manor to find the antidote materials that night. They are 'caught', and Huang Rong delays them while Guo Jing rummages through the medicine cabinets, where he is found by (and drinks the blood of) Lingzhi Shangren's giant snake. Fleeing, he stumbles into Mei Chaofeng's cave, where she defends him/forces him to teach her some Quanzhen internal energy secrets. Mei Chaofeng is about to be defeated by the Jin flunkies, but the Jiangnan Seven Freaks show up, and at that time, the Jin flunkies are called away because....someone has 'abducted' the Princess Consort!

Segue to Guo Xiaotian. While all the fighting was going on with Guo Jing, Mei Chaofeng, and the flunkies, after having been freed from the dungeon he immediately visited Bai Xiruo, eventually revealing himself to her (and then his son), then ran off with her. This is discovered, and the Jin flunkies give chase. Just as the Jin flunkies find them, Qiu Chuji and Ma Yu appear; they were here to discuss to coming duel with the Jiangnan Seven Freaks. Fighting ensues, husband and wife commit suicide, and the rest is history.

So yes, this was all in the space of one day/night. Don't blame TVB too much for this one though; this one night took up 3 chapters in the book, chapters 9, 10, and 11. What an eventful night, eh?

Wang Chuyi showed up and was poisoned by the Jin flunkies while helping Guo Jing; this was before Yang Tiexin had revealed himself to his wife. In desperation, Guo Jing and Huang Rong headed off to the Wanyan manor to find the antidote materials that night. They are 'caught', and Huang Rong delays them while Guo Jing rummages through the medicine cabinets, where he is found by (and drinks the blood of) Lingzhi Shangren's giant snake. Fleeing, he stumbles into Mei Chaofeng's cave, where she defends him/forces him to teach her some Quanzhen internal energy secrets. Mei Chaofeng is about to be defeated by the Jin flunkies, but the Jiangnan Seven Freaks show up, and at that time, the Jin flunkies are called away because....someone has 'abducted' the Princess Consort!

Segue to Guo Xiaotian. While all the fighting was going on with Guo Jing, Mei Chaofeng, and the flunkies, after having been freed from the dungeon he immediately visited Bai Xiruo, eventually revealing himself to her (and then his son), then ran off with her. This is discovered, and the Jin flunkies give chase. Just as the Jin flunkies find them, Qiu Chuji and Ma Yu appear; they were here to discuss to coming duel with the Jiangnan Seven Freaks. Fighting ensues, husband and wife commit suicide, and the rest is history.

So yes, this was all in the space of one day/night. Don't blame TVB too much for this one though; this one night took up 3 chapters in the book, chapters 9, 10, and 11. What an eventful night, eh?
    Yeah...sounds like a mess.

One thing to add.

I believe that between drinking the snake blood and stumbling into MCF, GJ went to free YTX and MNC in the jail cell. There YTX realized that GJ is his long sought after 'nephew.' Before GJ cuts open the bars to the cell, BZR comes to free YTX and MNC. GJ tries to leave the palace but gets caught by YK and they fight. Then Liang Zi Weng comes over after finding out his snake is dead and he tries to suck GJ's blood. GJ runs away and stumbles into BZR's santuary and hides in her closet.
    Then YTX comes over, and the two reunite. Then YK comes too. YTX and wife and daughter then run one way, and GJ runs another with Liang in hot pursuit, and stumbles into Mei's lair.

At least you can believe the events can take place over a period of an evening into the next morning.

LOCH2003's version makes it at least two days.

TVB's must be even longer.
    This account is retired.

Yes, I skipped that bit in the summary.

All in all, since it was spread across 3-4 chapters, it isn't quite so messy as it sounds.

The full LOCH has been translated, and in fact can be downloaded in pdf format.

Please visit the wuxia translation sub-forum.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

LOL, Dr. Han MD PhD is very perseverant and tireless in PET: Promoting Excellent Translations.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    LOL, Dr. Han MD PhD is very perseverant and tireless in PET: Promoting Excellent Translations.
    LOL.

Not American, so my medical degree is not MD, and i havne't done my phd yet.

And Foxs wanted me to promote his translation.

Han solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control