Thread: Cookery disasters

Default Cookery disasters

For people who cook, have you ever cooked some food that turned to disaster? If so, tell us your story.

I once tried to cook an omelette in a small frying pan, then just as I tossed the pan to turn it over the egg (partly liquid) broke into two pieces, and most of it spilled onto the hob itself!! To my horror I turned it off immediately but that didn't help b'cos the cooker was electric, which takes a lot longer to cool down, so I stood and watched helplessly as my egg was being incinerated. I had to open all the windows to let out all the nasty fumes.

Thankfully, nobody was at home or it would have been really embarrassing.
    Have you learned to love one another?

Here is the biggest disaster in the history of my cooking:

Actually, I wasn't even cooking, but it's somewhat related.

In my family, we like to pour heated vegetable oil over crushed red hot chili to achieve a spicier oily sauce. I tried to replicate this feat in the kitchen, only to find a burning chili smell minutes later; turns out I'd boiled the oil too much and it burned its container, the the ceramic cup! The burning of the cup caused the fire alarm to go off, forcing an evacuation of every tenant in the 12-story building . The chili smell enveloped our apartment for days. The worst part: we had no openable window! The smell was stuck inside.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Tried to fry Fish but it sticking all over the wok. So instead of the fried fish, me and housemates ended up with canned sardine. Until today, never frying again but steam fish. Healthier they say.
    May my Earendil be Light in your Darkness when others Died out.

This is curry!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.sailusfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/spicy_chicken_masala_curry.JPG')

It's usually cooked with chicken and potato cubes. The ingredients to achieve the curry gravy will be fresh coconut milk and curry powder. But in our case, for a healthier choice, we replaced coconut milk with fresh milk!

There was once, I helped my mum with preparation of the curry, for a serving for 10 (relatives included). Then, I had to tend to my little nephew and niece at the same time too. Then, my toddler nephew came bugging me for preparation of his milk on his little toddler rider. The little bugger is hungry.

At the stage of preparing the gravy, I stopped and let it boil. I turned my attention to prepare the milk for my little toddler nephew. Then my niece came bothering me. Told me some fairytale crap and distracted me.

I stopped and bring her to the TV which is more entertaining but she wouldn't let me go. Simultaneously, my nephew got excited and stopped crying, he ride his way to the TV too. THen it's time to add in the milk...................

The curry boiling was brewing furiously, and my mother shouted from the kitchen, asking if the fresh milk was ready to add. I said YES!

And, alas, my nephew's "special formula" milk for toddlers were added in....... because I actually used a regular mug to prepare it. :sweat:

Nice! I leave the rest to your imagination. *whistles*
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

My worst cooking experience was when I was 8-9 years old, my first time cooking with a wok. Well, when my mother turned her back on me for a minute to get the vegetables out of the fridge I accidently knocked the wok over and the very hot oil spilled all over my index finger. Needless to say, I haven't cooked with a wok since.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    This is curry!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.sailusfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/spicy_chicken_masala_curry.JPG')

It's usually cooked with chicken and potato cubes. The ingredients to achieve the curry gravy will be fresh coconut milk and curry powder. But in our case, for a healthier choice, we replaced coconut milk with fresh milk!

There was once, I helped my mum with preparation of the curry, for a serving for 10 (relatives included). Then, I had to tend to my little nephew and niece at the same time too. Then, my toddler nephew came bugging me for preparation of his milk on his little toddler rider. The little bugger is hungry.

At the stage of preparing the gravy, I stopped and let it boil. I turned my attention to prepare the milk for my little toddler nephew. Then my niece came bothering me. Told me some fairytale crap and distracted me.

I stopped and bring her to the TV which is more entertaining but she wouldn't let me go. Simultaneously, my nephew got excited and stopped crying, he ride his way to the TV too. THen it's time to add in the milk...................

The curry boiling was brewing furiously, and my mother shouted from the kitchen, asking if the fresh milk was ready to add. I said YES!

And, alas, my nephew's "special formula" milk for toddlers were added in....... because I actually used a regular mug to prepare it. :sweat:

Nice! I leave the rest to your imagination. *whistles*

Well, that's a disaster! Did you and your relatives eat it?
    I know how hard it is to do anything with toddlers running around. Last December I was at my grandma's house trying to prepare food for Christmas with my cousin, David. Which was hard with my 3 year old cousin and his little brother running around. So I got my older sister and David's older sister (another one of my many cousins) to watch them. It worked even though the toddlers where desperate to get into the kitchen because there where marshmallows involved.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang ( : View Post
    Well, that's a disaster! Did you and your relatives eat it?
    I know how hard it is to do anything with toddlers running around. Last December I was at my grandma's house trying to prepare food for Christmas with my cousin, David. Which was hard with my 3 year old cousin and his little brother running around. So I got my older sister and David's older sister (another one of my many cousins) to watch them. It worked even though the toddlers where desperate to get into the kitchen because there where marshmallows involved.
    You really wanna know?

click to show/hide spoilers
    Yes, we did. It was only then, we realised that that was no regular curry!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Finally, a thread where I can tell on my friends. Haha.

My friend tried to microwave raw chicken wings (brushed with honey). We were suppose to watch the microwave but was called away for something. We came back about 5 minutes later and found the microwave smoking - literally. We had a look at chicken afterwards, it was all black and rock hard.

My friend, the same one, tried to boil milk in an electric kettle. Needless to say what happened. The kettle was thrown in the trash afterwards...
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

tried to make honey bbq ribs (which i make often), but yesterday i forgot to set the timer on my oven and i just let it go on for 1 hour and a half and man was it burnt lol
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!