Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: SPCNET (Future) Gathering - Like, West Coast style (Thread # 2)

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    FB dislikes fake accounts.
    Heh! Well, FB loves me afterall. I'm gonna start singing "As Long As You Love Me"

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    I definitely took advantage of the official Facebook sign in Palo Alto --> snapped a photo of me by the Facebook to be put on Facebook.
    Do it with a super wide grin and say, Cheese!

*envy*
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

No derailing. PJ, are you suggesting Milpitas due to it being a place you would be willing to go? Or just for kicks, because Milpitas is relatively far from both the South Bay and from San Mateo.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 06-30-08 at 01:48 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Who's in San Mateo? Anyway, I'm just throwing ideas out there for you guys. Obviously you guys will make the final decision.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I'm in the San Mateo area (Millbrae); they're in the South Bay.

So are you going to be there or not, PJ?

You guys are having this gathering a few months late. And Ren Lao'er, you already had an invitation when I was in SF in March. But the timing was not optimal.

So that means you guys will have to endure the harsh reality that I will not be gracing your West Coast style SPCNET Gathering this time.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Anyway, I suggest the gathering take place in Milpitas. It sounds like Millbrae, so Ren Laoda will feel close at home, and it's an ELOC to even many people who live in Silicon Valley.
    actually, Milpitas is not much of an ELOC for bay area-ers. Great Mall, Cisco headquarters, asian squares

Anyway, I suggest the gathering take place in Milpitas. It sounds like Millbrae, so Ren Laoda will feel close at home, and it's an ELOC to even many people who live in Silicon Valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I'm in the San Mateo area (Millbrae); they're in the South Bay.

So are you going to be there or not, PJ?
    Actually, Milpitas is not a bad idea for me. It's not too far from where RYY and I live. But....from what I'm seeing, it's pretty far from Millbrae. Palo Alto would be a better middle spot to meet up, unless of course Xing'er doesn't mind driving more.

Milpitas is definitely not an ELOC to us in the South Bay. If you want to see a lot of Chinese people or want Chinese food, most likely you'll be heading off to Milpitas or Cupertino. A lot of people around here work where San Jose, Milpitas, and Santa Clara city boundaries meet.

When I was in Milpitas, my friend from Stanford did not seem to be aware of its existence.

Indeed, the missed opportunity for me was that I didn't know about the good Chinese food available in little Milpitas (which were next my hotel, I heard!). Without research or direction, I ended up finding a horrible Americanized Chinese restaurant and had some very average Americanized Chinese food. Of course, the company picked up the tab but still, definitely a missed opportunity.

When I was in Milpitas, my friend from Stanford did not seem to be aware of its existence.

Indeed, the missed opportunity for me was that I didn't know about the good Chinese food available in little Milpitas (which were next my hotel, I heard!). Without research or direction, I ended up finding a horrible Americanized Chinese restaurant and had some very average Americanized Chinese food. Of course, the company picked up the tab but still, definitely a missed opportunity.
    Lol, your friend must be an exception. Great Mall is pretty well-known around here....and who in the bay hasn't been to Paramount's Great America at least once in his/her lifetime?

Poor PJ. Well, there's always next time. At least you have us now.

San Jose is a better idea, because a friend of mine lives there, and I want to meet up with her as well. Although, since I obviously don't have a car, I'd have to caltrain there and back; I might end up having to find a motel in SJ. How cheap is it?

So far it's me, my daughter, and my bunny. Is there anyone else?

PS: PJ, there's EXCELLENT Sichuan food in Millbrae, at a restaraunt called 'fu en yuan', formerly known as 'xiao sichuan'.

PS: PJ, there's EXCELLENT Sichuan food in Millbrae, at a restaraunt called 'fu en yuan', formerly known as 'xiao sichuan'.
    Thanks for the tip mate. Is it walkable from the BART station by any chance?

Has anyone heard of a Sichuan-style (chain) restaurant called Mala Youhuo? I heard good things about it.

I also found a popular Sichuan restaurant in the Richmond district of SF, but haven't tried it.

I might end up having to find a motel in SJ. How cheap is it?
    You might consider a youth hostel to minimize the cost. I think you're not over their age limit yet

Thanks for the tip mate. Is it walkable from the BART station by any chance?

Has anyone heard of a Sichuan-style (chain) restaurant called Mala Youhuo? I heard good things about it.

I also found a popular Sichuan restaurant in the Richmond district of SF, but haven't tried it.
    Within a few blocks of the Bart.

You might consider a youth hostel to minimize the cost. I think you're not over their age limit yet
    To stay at a hostel, will have to be from out of state or have a foreign passport.

If meeting at Milpitas, CA, can eat & play at Dave & Busters. The place is huge. If you don't like talking to your spcnet friends, can split up and play games. On the other hand, if enjoy talking to them, can give the women an inexpensive present courtesy of D&B.

If meeting at San Mateo, try Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot 小肥羊. Food quite delicious but not cheap ($30-40 per person).

Another place many people like to meet up is Moonstar Buffett in Daly City. Only 10-15 minutes away from Milbrae.

San Francisco is not a good place to meet up because limited parking spaces. Plus, people from the south bay can't park in SF.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    If meeting at Milpitas, CA, can eat & play at Dave & Busters. The place is huge. If you don't like talking to your spcnet friends, can split up and play games. On the other hand, if enjoy talking to them, can give the women an inexpensive present courtesy of D&B.
    D&B is a possibility...as long as we make sure that everyone is over 21, which I don't think should be a problem. See, if we were going to plan meeting up here a few months earlier, then it would have been a slight problem.

Plus, people from the south bay can't park in SF.
    Sadly I'd have to agree.

Update: Sunday will work for me now as well. Evidently, when I purchased tickets, I accidentally purchased Monday return tickets. OOPS! Just requested a day off from the boss. So it looks like all of Sunday is free, as well as part of Monday, and Saturday afternoon/evening.

Update: Sunday will work for me now as well. Evidently, when I purchased tickets, I accidentally purchased Monday return tickets. OOPS! Just requested a day off from the boss. So it looks like all of Sunday is free, as well as part of Monday, and Saturday afternoon/evening.
    I'm actually checking my schedule for that weekend. It's right after finals and classes are over, so if I can get myself out of my wallowing-in-self-pity state by then, it should be fine. Wait, just kidding. I won't be available Saturday afternoon/evening, and I'm working Sunday and Monday. Unless I switch shifts to work Saturday and free up Sunday............grrr.............I hate working Saturdays. That's when all the complainers and bargainers come in.

So far it's me, my daughter, and my bunny. Is there anyone else?
    At this point I don't care if I only see one person as long as I can say I did meet someone from this forum. Count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Radken View Post
    At this point I don't care if I only see one person as long as I can say I did meet someone from this forum. Count me in.
    Yay another victim.

Though if you want to make things quick and easy and still say that you've met someone from the forum, you can meet up with Xing'er....I think you guys are pretty close.

Distance is not an issue. I'll meet up with anybody who wants to get together and hang out.