Thread: 《兵圣》 Bing Sheng (Military Sage) - Zhang Jizhong

Default 《兵圣》 Bing Sheng (Sun Tzu's The Art of War) - Zhang Jizhong

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng0.gif')

Another production from Zhang Jizhong. Another historical adaptation on Sun Tzu, author of The Art of War.

Title: Bing Sheng
    Also known as: The Ultimate Master of War / Sun Tzu's The Art of War
    Episodes: 40
    Filming: just started in mid-April 2008
    Expected Release Year: 2009
    Casts: Zhu Ya Wen, Hu Jing, Zhao Yi, Li Tai, He Zhuo Yan, Xu Huan Huan.

Wikipage: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Bing_Sheng

Official Sina site: http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/m/f/bins/index.html

Synopsis from WIKI:
    Set during the Spring and Autumn Period, this drama revolves around famous historical figures of the era like Sun Wu, Wu Zi Xu and Wu Jiu as well as the victories and defeats of the individual kingdoms of Qi, Chu, Wu, Yue, Jin, et al. In a time of disorder and uncertainty, this is the story of how Sun Wu, author of The Art of War, came to prominence as one of the most renowned military strategists in Chinese history.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng4.jpg')
    Zhu Ya Wen, the actor who acts as Sun Tzu is 27 years old. He looks 40, to me^^;;

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng3.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng5.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng2.jpg')
    Hu Jing should've not sport on a hairstyle showing her forehead like that x)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng1.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng6.jpg')
    He Zhuo Yan acts as a character named Mo Li. Her dress looks Indian
    Last edited by loislane; 12-13-09 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loislane View Post

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng1.jpg')

He Zhuo Yan acts as a character named Mo Li. Her dress looks Indian
    LOL!

I don't know how that costume looks Indian. But from what I've seen Chinese costumers do the same things American costumers do - just slap some "Indian" fabric and maybe a turban on somebody and they're Indian. The only difference is that in the US they'd also make them go have a spray-on tan.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Whoo.. i like this kind of things.
    Look forward to THis series.
    in Love With :
    Ady An, Han Xue, Li Bing Bing, Zhang Ting, Yang Mi
    Currently Watching "Chinese Paladin 3"

This looks interesting. The only Sun Wu's related drama I have watched was done by Kent Cheng (as Sun Wu), Roger Kwok (as Wu Zi Xu) and Esther Kwan.

Maybe they will have another one Sun Bin too.......

Release Date 2009.. that to long....

Hu jing or He Zhuo Yan, is the main female lead??
    in Love With :
    Ady An, Han Xue, Li Bing Bing, Zhang Ting, Yang Mi
    Currently Watching "Chinese Paladin 3"

Quote Originally Posted by BearBearNweather View Post
    This looks interesting. The only Sun Wu's related drama I have watched was done by Kent Cheng (as Sun Wu), Roger Kwok (as Wu Zi Xu) and Esther Kwan.

Maybe they will have another one Sun Bin too.......
    You should check out Sun Zi Bing Fa Yu 36 Ji, which is about the battles between Sun Bin and Pang Juan. It creatively illustrates all 36 strategies in one drama. Chou Yong Li did an awesome job as Sun Bin.

The female lead in here is probably Hu Jing, but for this type of drama, I would hope none of the girls take up too much screentime.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Red face

Gosh, Hu Jing looked hideous w/ that hairstyle, so old and just darn ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    You should check out Sun Zi Bing Fa Yu 36 Ji, which is about the battles between Sun Bin and Pang Juan. It creatively illustrates all 36 strategies in one drama. Chou Yong Li did an awesome job as Sun Bin.

The female lead in here is probably Hu Jing, but for this type of drama, I would hope none of the girls take up too much screentime.
    Thanks for the info! Will check it out.

Yes, as much as I love romantic movies and books, I do hope the romance isn't a big thing for shows like this.

ZHZ do so many series recently

I just watched the first 5 episodes of this series and the storyline turned out alot better than I expected! I like the 2 main male characters alot, Sun Wu (Sun Tzu) and Guo Wu Jiu. I like how they have such a strong friendship.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng2-1.jpg')

And to my surprise, as a historical figure, Sun Wu is not described as "white" as I thought in this series, there's a "black" side of him that of course every human has. But I still like this character all the same. Although I'm still questioning... can't ZJZ find a more attractive-looking actor to play the part? Zhu Yawen who acted as Sun Wu though, is a very good actor, he has this commanding presence and I think he suits the role very well. After awhile, I can forget his unattractive looks and start liking the character^^ But that makes me wonder, does Mainland really lacking actors that has both genuine talents and attractive-looking? Though, of course, it's much better to see ones with real talents, rather than those with pretty faces without proper acting skill. So I have no complains about Zhu Yawen as Sun Wu.

Li Tai as Guo Wu Jiu is very, very good! I almost didn't notice him at all in HSDS2009, because he plays the traitor Song Qingshu XD So I'm quite surprise to see him play the role of such a cool guy here and he really has onscreen presence. I like how his character really prior his friendship with Sun Wu more than anything.

Sun Wu and Guo Wu Jiu first met in a contest in Ep1. Sun family and Guo family are royal families who had been in dispute(rivalry?) over the years. The contest was a very, very interesting and good scene. I like it alot, esp. the archery contest part. They met again during a war, and they've become the best of friends, since then.(despite knowing their family's dispute)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng1-1.jpg')

Both Sun Wu and Wu Jiu loves the same woman, Gao Zi Su (the daughter of a high-rank official). Since Guo family and Gao family are in good terms, Wu Jiu and Zi Su had known each other since childhood. What I like from this love triangle, they have a very healthy love rivalry When Sun Wu told Wu Jiu abt his feelings to Zi Su, Wu Jiu said, "I do have feelings for her. But if she doesn't has feelings for me, I won't force her either. Let's just see who she has feelings for, between us,". One of the reason why I like this character so much^^

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng5-1.jpg')

Guo Wu Jiu has a little sister, Guo Mo Li, acted by He Zhuoyan. She's quite spoiled and childish. Gao Zi Su is just like a big sister for her since they grew up together. Mo Li is in love with Sun Wu. Mo Li reminds me alot of HZY's character in Da Tang You Xia Zhuan, Wang Yan Yu. When Sun Wu told her that he has feelings for Zi Su, she immediately become cranky and asked her brother, Wu Jiu, to kill Sun Wu for her. I almost hate this character (just like how I hated Wang Yan Yu), but gladly she can finally got over it and accept the fact that Sun Wu loves Zi Su, and she stay friends with Sun Wu.

The first 5 episodes has a very good pace, not too slow, not too fast. I guess bcoz the whole 40 eps will cover Sun Wu's whole life. It starts with Sun Wu in his early 20s, when he is still a nobody, but his grandfather is quite well-known as an excellent general in his glory times.

In Ep3-4, it has the story where Sun Wu almost sentenced a death penalty due to the fact the emperor found out he has killed a general during the war. Of course, Sun Wu has his reasons, and Guo Wu Jiu risked his life in trying to find the witness that can prove he's not guilty. I like this plot.

Despite the fact that this is Zhang Jizhong's production, I'm very pleased that I didn't find the 3 things I dislike from ZJZ usual productions:
    1. The picture is not murky/misty at all.
    2. None sloppy editing. The editing is done properly.
    3. So far, I didn't hear any of the same musics used in Royal Tramp 2008, Da Tang You Xia Zhuan and HSDS2009. (THANK GOD!! XD)

Also, there's something 'unusually-ancient' for me, about this series. Probably because it sets in 8th-5th century BC? I almost never saw any wuxia/historical series from this period. So I noticed little things like the tea pot used in this series, is quite antique. I also love the costumes. Esp. one of Mo Li's costume like in this screencap:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng6-1.jpg')

Never seen that kind of traditional Chinese clothes before. It looks almost like Korean.

I prefer this hairstyle on Hu Jing^^ And so far, Gao Zi Su's character is very okay, for me. When she cries, she didn't overdone it.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng4-1.jpg')

I also like this Wu Jiu's costume:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/bingsheng3-1.jpg')

Also I heard a very rare Chinese word for "Yes sir!" in this series, which is "nooh!" (might have written the pinyin wrong though). Is that a word only used in the army or just in BC periods?

I don't know yet, this series recommended or not, coz I've only seen 5 eps. I'll give my verdict when I'm done with it
    Last edited by loislane; 12-13-09 at 04:37 AM.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, loislane!

Though I'm not a fan of historical dramas (I'm more into wuxia only), I got quite interested to watch this after reading your post.

Hopefully, I'll enjoy this as much as you are.

I've finished this and apparently starting ep18, the story is getting boring for me XD So I watched it in a "fast-fwd" mode since then
    The good part was only Ep1-7, for me. The TianSun family vs GuoGao family rivalry was very exciting for me to follow, coz the fathers were trying to kill each other, but the children are good friends. And I like Sun Wu and Wu Jiu's friendship.

After Ep7, the story start to go downhill gradually. And after Ep18, I lost my patience XD The war storyline is getting too much for me, who originally doesn't really enjoy war movies, anyway. (I overslept watching Red Cliff )

Ending spoiler

click to show/hide spoilers
    Sun Wu and Wu Jiu were friends again for a few secs, until Wu Jiu commited suicide. After Zi Su gave birth to Wu Jiu's baby, she died too. With the help of the lady, Miss Que Qian, that Emperor Helu gave to Sun Wu, Sun Wu takes care of their baby, Guo Tai. Later, Wu Zixu suggest Sun Wu to marry Que Qian. So he finally married her and he come to love this woman sincerely.

After problems with Chu kingdom was over, Wu is trying to attack Yue kingdom. And what I didn't expect Sun Wu's wife is Yue's spy. This part is quite sad, since they also have their own baby too. They have two children already. And Que Qian herself have loved Sun Wu sincerely too, but the Yue people cornered her and demand her to do the task. In the end, Que Qian commited suicide All Sun Wu's love stories ended tragically.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/4a8f90974f5a4.jpg')

Actually i find this drama quite good. Really enjoying watching it right now. Aldy till ep 20. Perhaps because i like war dramas especially with cunning ploys to defeat enemies. Though just feel the actors and actress are not my favourite. The only likeable actress for me in the show for me died early(not naming for spoiler) haha buts its ok as its a pure war drama though lots of plotting and internal strifle which sometimes seems dragging. Overall if u like historical war dramas this is a really gd one.

I just finished watching this serial last month, and I like it. Anyone has the ending song?

Finished watching it and frankly I think it's overly long for the story it was trying to tell.

The whole thing can be broken into 2 very long stories that actually doesn't revolve around Sun Tzi at all. The first part is like 14 chapters long and concerns Sun Tzi's best friend who stole his girlfriend but that wasn't enough but wanted to wipeout the whole Sun clan because his Guo family was killed by Sun Tzi's father in a clan feud, even though Sun Tzi did his best to save him from death and helping him to escape. This carried over to the battlefield and later to the Yu royal court when he surrendered after defeat.

The second and very long plot concerns a fellow state refugee by the name of Bo Pi to the Yu court. His one skill is flattery and grovelling to the royal master to the extend of bringing the state to total ruin. Nothing matters to him except lining his own pockets and distracting the king with courtesans. He meddles in statecraft and battlefield strategy even when he's an utter idiot in these areas; all for the sake of discrediting Sun Tzi, his generals and the appointed crown prince.

His deviousness was such that he could even cause the crown prince to be banished by the king and the younger prince appointed when the crown prince wanted to report him to the king for corruption.

The crown prince, Sun Tzi and his generals had often considered simply killing off this Bo Pi but it was Sun Tzi who kept vetoing the act. This kindness on his part caused much trouble down the years. Sun Tzi was afraid of incurring the king's wrath if they just kill the sucker off. Stupidity appearing in a genius. The king can do nothing but accept the fait accompli when he jolly well need this group of able officials more than he needs the court jester whose only accomplishment was providing his harem and bringing the kingdom to economic ruin building a grand palace for the king to enjoy.

Everything else is to ZJZ's production standards with grand palaces and interiors, and massive battles.
    Last edited by Surferket; 03-15-10 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket View Post
    Finished watching it and frankly I think it's overly long for the story it was trying to tell.

The whole thing can be broken into 2 very long stories that actually doesn't revolve around Sun Tzi at all. The first part is like 14 chapters long and concerns Sun Tzi's best friend who stole his girlfriend but that wasn't enough but wanted to wipeout the whole Sun clan because his Guo family was killed by Sun Tzi's father in a clan feud, even though Sun Tzi did his best to save him from death and helping him to escape. This carried over to the battlefield and later to the Yu royal court when he surrendered after defeat.

The second and very long plot concerns a fellow state refugee by the name of Bo Pi to the Yu court. His one skill is flattery and grovelling to the royal master to the extend of bringing the state to total ruin. Nothing matters to him except lining his own pockets and distracting the king with courtesans. He meddles in statecraft and battlefield strategy even when he's an utter idiot in these areas; all for the sake of discrediting Sun Tzi, his generals and the appointed crown prince.

His deviousness was such that he could even cause the crown prince to be banished by the king and the younger prince appointed when the crown prince wanted to report him to the king for corruption.

The crown prince, Sun Tzi and his generals had often considered simply killing off this Bo Pi but it was Sun Tzi who kept vetoing the act. This kindness on his part caused much trouble down the years. Sun Tzi was afraid of incurring the king's wrath if they just kill the sucker off. Stupidity appearing in a genius. The king can do nothing but accept the fait accompli when he jolly well need this group of able officials more than he needs the court jester whose only accomplishment was providing his harem and bringing the kingdom to economic ruin building a grand palace for the king to enjoy.

Everything else is to ZJZ's production standards with grand palaces and interiors, and massive battles.

can you show me where to watch this or get the DVD? it's not showing up on search website.

The cast list for this series is misleading. There are a number of major characters that are NOT credited in the so-called "cast lists," only in the end credits.

So the actual cast is much bigger than what it seems.

I am watching this, The Rebirth of a King (2006), and The Great Revival (2007) concurrently in order to decide which of the three is best.

They are set in the same time and feature the same major characters (King Gou Jian, King Fu Chai, etc.)

The difference is, Bing Sheng features Sun Wu, which the other two do not ... however, the other two feature Xi Shi (played by An Yi Xuan in one and Zhou Yang in the other) ... so this is quite bothersome.

Sun Wu and Xi Shi are both major figures from the Spring and Autumn period ... I hate that ONE series can't just feature ALL of these characters.

So far I'm leaning towards Bing Sheng, because like I said ... it's misleading. The series does NOT tell the "life story" of Sun Wu, it merely features him as the main character/protagonist.

This series seems to be quite epic and features the Kingdoms of Qi, Chu, Wu, AND Yue ..

... not just Wu and Yue like the other two dramas.

The summaries that state this series is the "biography" of Sun Wu are flat-out WRONG. If those idiots had a brain, they'd realize this. This series is a large-scale epic that tells the story of the conflicts between the four aforementioned states during the Spring and Autumn period. I really hate the false advertising courtesy of morons.

Sun Wu, the author of the Art of War, is merely the protagonist.

Call up Zhang Ji Zhong, and he'll confirm this.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 09-09-12 at 12:36 PM.
    http://kibescorporation.blogspot.com/
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

This series was awesome