Thread: Huang Yaoshi's motivations during the marriage proposal scene

Default Huang Yaoshi's motivations during the marriage proposal scene

HYS' bias toward OYK during the marriage proposals and subsequent contest between OYK and GJ is quite strange and puts HYS in a poor light.

First, HYS fancies himself a man too cool for the world. He hates the Confucian code of social behavior and conduct (li fa), therefore one would think that he would be progressive enough to let his daughter choose her husband, but he imposes his will on her just like any regular daddy-o on mainland would.

Second, he supposedly loves his daughter to death. Yet he is willing to marry her off to a guy whom he knows is a bad guy while also knowing that HR would probably kill herself or run away. I believe that he is actually trying to get back at HR for running away and disobeying him.

Third, his main objection to GJ is not because he killed his (HYS') disciple or have had several run-ins with Mei Chao Feng, but rather that having a dumb son-in-law would mar his reputation and embarrass him.

HYS comes off as a pretentious petty hypocrite.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    HYS' bias toward OYK during the marriage proposals and subsequent contest between OYK and GJ is quite strange and puts HYS in a poor light.

First, HYS fancies himself a man too cool for the world. He hates the Confucian code of social behavior and conduct (li fa), therefore one would think that he would be progressive enough to let his daughter choose her husband, but he imposes his will on her just like any regular daddy-o on mainland would.

Second, he supposedly loves his daughter to death. Yet he is willing to marry her off to a guy whom he knows is a bad guy while also knowing that HR would probably kill herself or run away. I believe that he is actually trying to get back at HR for running away and disobeying him.

Third, his main objection to GJ is not because he killed his (HYS') disciple or have had several run-ins with Mei Chao Feng, but rather that having a dumb son-in-law would mar his reputation and embarrass him.

He doesn't know OYK is a bad guy.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    He doesn't know OYK is a bad guy.
    He just saw that GJ was increadible dumb. Anybody else would actually be a better choice.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

part of being a heretic is being unpredictable, i suppose . plus, he never claimed he hated ALL societal views, just some--which was already enough for the common standards, i suppose.

He saw OYK attack MCF first hand. He even punished OYK when they first met. He knows OYF's character. How good could his 'nephew' be? Even if he doesn't believe HR and GJ when they talk bad about OYK's character, he knows H7G well enough to know that he is telling the truth even if he won't admit it. In fact, when GJ told HR to tell HYS about his kidnapping of girls, HR thought her dad would actually like OYK for it. Instead, she thinks that the way to make HYS dislike OYK is to make it sound like OYK thinks HYS' kungfu is not so great.

What sort of priority does HYS have? What kind of father would think that a playboy who goes around hunting for hot girls would make a good husband for his daughter?

Part of his hatred for GJ also stems from jealousy of him, that his daughter now may love another more than she loves him. In my opinion it is also jealousy of GJ and punishment for HR having another man in her heart in place of or in conjunction with him (HYS) that is subconsciously making him favor OYK.
    This account is retired.

A typical case of parents always thinking they know whats best for their kids.

Very realistic I must say.

He saw OYK attack MCF first hand. He even punished OYK when they first met. He knows OYF's character. How good could his 'nephew' be? Even if he doesn't believe HR and GJ when they talk bad about OYK's character, he knows H7G well enough to know that he is telling the truth even if he won't admit it. In fact, when GJ told HR to tell HYS about his kidnapping of girls, HR thought her dad would actually like OYK for it. Instead, she thinks that the way to make HYS dislike OYK is to make it sound like OYK thinks HYS' kungfu is not so great.

What sort of priority does HYS have? What kind of father would think that a playboy who goes around hunting for hot girls would make a good husband for his daughter?

Part of his hatred for GJ also stems from jealousy of him, that his daughter now may love another more than she loves him. In my opinion it is also jealousy of GJ and punishment for HR having another man in her heart in place of or in conjunction with him (HYS) that is subconsciously making him favor OYK.
    When and where was this?
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    When and where was this?
    When Miss Mu is trying to find MCF in order to save YH. OYK tried to attack MCF but failed after HYS uses his music to influence him.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

I do agree that he's a bit hypocritical. He does claim to disdain social customs, yet he follows convention (sort of) in accepting a marriage contract between his daughter and a young man he doesn't really know. And later in ROCH he gets all bent out of shape when YG suggests that they become sworn brothers because YG is so much younger than he is - though that may be just because he doesn't want to do something that ZBT has done.

I'm not sure that he knows OYK is a bad person, though. Just because he saw OYK fighting MCF doesn't mean he knows all about the whole kidnapping women business. He may have thought HR was exaggerating when she mentioned it, and he doesn't like GJ so he isn't likely to listen to anything he says. And as you point out, HR suspects that perhaps her father's eccentric and contrary nature might even lead him to like OYK for doing that.

I actually find him a pretty interesting character. He follows convention or ignores it when it suits him. He adores his daughter and yet discounts her at the same time. That gives him a lot of personality.

The only thing I find particularly unappealing about him is his choice to render all his servants deaf and mute. I don't care if they are all criminals - that's just cruel. HYS obviously considers himself above the common people and doesn't look at them as deserving of any consideration or kindness.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

I agree, but it does make him a pretty interesting character.

I've always thought of him as a stuck-up dickhead. Not an admirer, but I do like his character and as I read LOCH and ROCH, I just couldn't wait for someone to slap some sense into that bastard. Jin Yong disappointed me in that regard though.

Not just that, but Guo Jing is the polar opposite of HYS and yet his daughter loves that young man. It's a huge blow to East Heretic's ego. If Guo Jing were a similar man to Huang, I doubt he would be against it.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."