Thread: Breaking down the Hong Lung 18 Palms: what does each palm do?

Default Breaking down the Hong Lung 18 Palms: what does each palm do?

The names of the eighteen component palm strokes that comprise the Hong Lung 18 Palms are fairly well known, but what does each of the palms do? In what specific combat scenarios would each palm work best? What is the defining characteristic of each of the component palms?

The first palm that GJ learned require him to face away from the opponent. That palm was designed to counter enemies behind you.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    The first palm that GJ learned require him to face away from the opponent. That palm was designed to counter enemies behind you.
    Was that "Sun Lung Bai Mei," the "Divine Dragon Shakes Its Tail?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Was that "Sun Lung Bai Mei," the "Divine Dragon Shakes Its Tail?"
    no. the first palm was very standard and basic and usually aims for oppnents in front of you (unless you can turn around quickly). "circle your hand, bend your knee, push" Kang Long You Hui (Proud Dragon Has Regrets?--no idea on the canto spelling)

btw, OT. has anyone ever seen the HK comics Long Hu Men (Dragon Tiger Clan?). there's a character in there that uses 18 dragon palms (hardly by coincidence i doubt). the depecition of the palms is pretty interesting i must say.

The first palm Guo Jing learned was "The Proud Dragon Repents", which exemplifies the basic principles of the Dragon-subduing Palms, requiring the user to corner the opponent until there was no escape route, before overwhelming the opponent with an unstoppable palm. "The Divine Dragon Swings its Tail", which Li Sheng also knew, swings a backward palm to hit an opponent behind him. "Flying Dragon in the Sky" has the user jumping into the air to launch a palm from above. "Seeing Dragon in the Field" presents some kind of defensive barrier in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    btw, OT. has anyone ever seen the HK comics Long Hu Men (Dragon Tiger Clan?). there's a character in there that uses 18 dragon palms (hardly by coincidence i doubt). the depecition of the palms is pretty interesting i must say.
    Yeah, it's the character, Wong Siu Long, played by Donnie Yen in the Dragon Tiger Gate movie. I like how in the comics whenever someone unleashes a move a giant creature would appear behind them to signify destructive power. As for Wong Siu Long's version of Hong Long 18 Zhang I think it's more suited for close handed combat. Gritty and realistic.

Palm #1 : Beat People Up
    Palm #2 : Beat People Up
    Palm #3 : Beat People Up
    Palm #24: Beat People Up

You get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Palm #1 : Beat People Up
    Palm #2 : Beat People Up
    Palm #3 : Beat People Up
    Palm #24: Beat People Up

You get the idea.
    Best explanation so far.

I'll try to answer ....

1)亢龍有悔(Kong Lung Yau Fui)- First used by Hung 7 Gung to show Gwok Jing in Ch. 12. You bend your knees a little, make one full circle and push out ur palm.

There is not really a best scenerio to use this palm.

2) 飛龍在天(Fei Lung Joi Tin)- The second palm in 18 dragon palm. You jump up and you use ur palm to attack down.
    Note: One of the most powerful stance and it took GJ 3 days to learn it.
    Chapter 12

3)龍戰於野(Jin Lung Yu Ye)-Chapter 12 and 22. Used by Gwok Jing against Leung Ji Yung and Kau Chin Chek. All it said was, Gwok Jing just swooped his arm and Leung Ji Yung just fell out of off of his ship.

4)潛龍勿用(Chim Lung Mat Yung) In chapter 14 used by Gwok Jing. Gwok Jing used first and middle finger to form a half palm half claw to attack.

5)利涉大川(Lei Sip Dai Chuen) CHapter 14. Only the name came up. Jing Yong didn't give a description

6) 鴻漸於陸(Hung Jim Yu Luk) Used in chapter 14 against Mui Chiu Fung.

7)突如其來(daak Yu Kei Loi) CHapter 14 against Mui Chiu Fung. All it says was, left hand pushes out.

8)震驚百里(Jan Ging Bak Lei)-CHapter 23, against Au yeung fung...both hands pushes out.

9)或躍在淵(wak Yuek Joi Yuen) Used in chapter 14 against Huang Yao Shi, attacking his stomach.

10) 神龍擺尾(San Lung Bai Mei) Your back face you opponent and ur hand swoop back to attack ur opponent. First used by Lai Sung in chap 15.

11)見龍在田(Gin Lung Joi Teen) used by GJ in chapter 15 against Au Yeung Fung.
    Both hands straight out!!

12)雙龍取水(seung lung chooi sui) both hands straight out. First used against Au Yeung Fung in chap 21

13).時乘六龍(Si Sing Luk Lung) Only mentioned name. in chapter 28

14)密雲不雨(mat Wan Bat Yu) chapter 28... GJ used this and 損則有孚(Suen Jaak Yau Fu) against Beggar Gan. So he used L/R hand technique to use two dragon palms

15)損則有孚(Seun Jaak Yau Fu) same as number 14

16) 履霜冰至(Lei Seung Bing Ji) chapter 29. Against Ying Goo...one of the most sophisticated palm in all of hte 18 palm. This palm, along with Kong Lung Yau Fui, both have Yin as well as Yang incorporated in it. It uses, both arms, one in the shape of fist the other in the shape of palm, and push out.

17)羝羊觸藩(Daai Yeung Juk Fan) in chapter 35. Against Leung JI Yung.

18)笑言啞啞(Siu Yin Ah Ah) in chapter 40, H7G against Au Yeung Fung. AYF was biting H7G's finger but missed(cause he was missing it) and so H7G used his middle finger and put it inside AYF's mouth.

I guess thats it!!

QF

Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    I'll try to answer ....

1)亢龍有悔(Kong Lung Yau Fui)- First used by Hung 7 Gung to show Gwok Jing in Ch. 12. You bend your knees a little, make one full circle and push out ur palm.

2) 飛龍在天(Fei Lung Joi Tin)- The second palm in 18 dragon palm. You jump up and you use ur palm to attack down.
    Chapter 12

3)龍戰於野(Jin Lung Yu Ye)-Chapter 12 and 22. Used by Gwok Jing against Leung Ji Yung and Kau Chin Chek. All it said was, Gwok Jing just swooped his arm and Leung Ji Yung just fell out of off of his ship.

4)潛龍勿用(Chim Lung Mat Yung) In chapter 14 used by Gwok Jing. Gwok Jing used first and middle finger to form a half palm half claw to attack.

5)利涉大川(Lei Sip Dai Chuen) CHapter 14. Only the name came up. Jing Yong didn't give a description

7)突如其來(daak Yu Kei Loi) CHapter 14 against Mui Chiu Fung. All it says was, left hand pushes out.

8)震驚百里(Jan Ging Bak Lei)-CHapter 23, against Au yeung fung...both hands pushes out.

9)或躍在淵(wak Yuek Joi Yuen) Used in chapter 14 against Huang Yao Shi, attacking his stomach.

10) 神龍擺尾(San Lung Bai Mei) Your back face you opponent and ur hand swoop back to attack ur opponent. First used by Lai Sung in chap 15.

12)雙龍取水(seung lung chooi sui) both hands straight out. First used against Au Yeung Fung in chap 21

14)密雲不雨(mat Wan Bat Yu) chapter 28... GJ used this and 損則有孚(Suen Jaak Yau Fu) against Beggar Gan. So he used L/R hand technique to use two dragon palms

16) 履霜冰至(Lei Seung Bing Ji) chapter 29. Against Ying Goo...one of the most sophisticated palm in all of hte 18 palm. This palm, along with Kong Lung Yau Fui, both have Yin as well as Yang incorporated in it. It uses, both arms, one in the shape of fist the other in the shape of palm, and push out.

18)笑言啞啞(Siu Yin Ah Ah) in chapter 40, H7G against Au Yeung Fung. AYF was biting H7G's finger but missed(cause he was missing it) and so H7G used his middle finger and put it inside AYF's mouth.

I guess thats it!!

QF
    Pretty good description of each of the palms and how each of them works, but based on the description, the strokes of the Hong Lung 18 Palms sound fairly unremarkable in of themselves. They sound like very basic martial arts strokes that any one of us could execute with reasonable competence. I guess the real power of the palms was in directing the output of inner power, because the strokes themselves do not sound very extraordinary.

I think JY is not terribly descriptive with his battle scenes. I think that the 18 Dragon slaying palms do value power over flowery changes. However, given that the palm set is based on the I-Ching (Book of Changes) there must be a certain subtlety to them as well. Like most successful martial arts there will be a balance between power and speed, directness and subtleness.

I think it is interesting that both H7G and GJ both used Palm 1 in the final clash when they dueled in the 2nd Huashan tournament.

I'll try to answer ....

Chapter 12

I guess thats it!!

QF
    Very well explanation.
    Thx !!

I'll try to answer ....

Chapter 12

I guess thats it!!

QF

WOw! Let's practice that at home.

I enjoy it most when it is Qiao Feng who does the moves. Remarkable!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 07-02-08 at 12:02 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Well, it's supposed to be a straight-forward technique, so yeah, there's probably nothing remarkable about it, other than being overpowering and requiring tons of internal energy.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

The technique was mostly straightforward, but it was the internal energy utilization that was special.

Most importantly, it wasn't blunt application of large amounts of internal energy. If you tried that while H7G was teaching you, he'd smack you over the head.

Hong QiGong explained to Guo Jing that the 18-Dragon Slaying Palms are really straightforward and used by people who don't give a damn about what techniques the opponent is using. Just use the palms over and over again until the enemy is defeated. Besides, being the top MA of beggar clan, the descriptions are not really fancy.

I'll try to answer ....

Chapter 12

I guess thats it!!

QF
    best explanation so far

let me add a
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!