View Poll Results: Which KPH series should I start with?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peerless Master (Bu Kek Siansu)

8 53.33%
  • Fragrant Wooden Sword (Pedang Kayu Harum)

3 20.00%
  • Useless Hero (Bu Pun Su)

3 20.00%
  • something else

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xu Ping He (Kho Ping Hoo) Translations

Default Xu Ping He (Kho Ping Hoo) Translations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kho_Ping_Hoo

Greetings!

I've been lurking the translation in the background and I feel that it's time to contribute I noticed we have a lot of Jin Yong and Gu Long, with Huang Yi encroaching. No Kho Ping Hoo as he is not very well known outside of Indonesia. Unlike Jin Yong or Gu Long and the rest of his peers, he had never set foot in China, thus his works contain a lot of historical/geographical discrepancies. However, once you can get over those flaws (just treat his works as something that happened in an alternate universe or something !), you'd come to appreciate his creativity (or I hope ).

So as I have in my possession a bootleg version of his novels, I want to start with the first book of one of these series, perhaps some Indonesians here can help me decide. I made up the English titles, the original Indonesian/Hokkian titles in parenthesis.

The series that I have:
    - Peerless Master (Bu Kek Siansu)
    - Fragrant Wooden Sword (Pedang Kayu Harum)
    - Useless Hero (Bu Pun Su)

Disclaimer:
    Kho Ping Hoo used a lot of Hokkian expressions and terminology. The moves used in his books are in Hokkian. I will try to translate the words into Hanyu Pinyin as much as possible. If you catch any mistakes later please let me know by all means so we can fix and improve the translations.

For those who understand Indonesian, the series can be downloaded here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~bandung/

Peerless Master (Bu Kek Siansu):
    Peerless Master:
    Gua Shenlong, the miraculous boy, were highly sought after and contested by the martial experts. Some wanted him to become their disciples, some wanted to take him as prestige, some actually wanted to use his miraculous organs to enhance their kungfu skills.

Eventually Shenlong became a disciple of the Ice Island, and from there, through some plot twists and turns, he was 'enlightened' and became the WuJi XianShi (Peerless Master).
    1. Peerless Master
    2. Golden Flute
    3. Blood-stained Love
    4. Black Pearl
    5. Ice Island Palace
    6. Hunchbacked Hero
    7. Awesome Hero
    8. A Pair of Demonic Swords
    9. A Pair of Eagles
    10. Eagle's Match
    11. Golden Flute and Demi-Dragon
    12. Saga of Ice Island Heroes
    13. Dragon Flute
    14. White Crane Story
    15. Red Crane Story
    16. The Mighty Fists
    17. The Treasures of Ice Island
    Fragrant Wooden Sword (Pedang Kayu Harum):

Fragrant Wooden Sword:
    Jia ZhengHong, a lowly servant-boy from Kunlun, managed to meet Xie JunHong, regarded as the top martial exponent of the time. Xie had Xiang Mu Jian [Fragrant Wooden Sword] in his possession. The sword was highly sought after in JiangHu, as it had many powerful properties. It was also the key to find Xie's treasure, where he stored all his Kungfu manuals and marvellous weapons.

The story followed ZhengHong as he grew up and learnt the treachery of JiangHu, the ups and downs of his lovelife, love and hatred, and what really happened to Xie JunHong back then.
    1. Fragrant Wooden Sword
    2. Romantic Adventurer
    3. Death Goddess
    4. Hero from Dragon Valley
    5. Cruel Hero
    6. Genghis Khan's Treasure
    7. Skull Demon
    8. Bloody Romance
    9. Playboy Hero
    10. Crimson HoneyBee
    11. Playboy's Match
    12. Travelling Hero
    Useless (Bu Pun Su):
    Useless:
    Lu Guanzhu almost died once, and was saved by his two masters. Through a series of coincidence, he managed to get a hold of an ancient Kungfu manuscript, dated hundreds of years ago. After many hardships, he reached the hiding place and learned the Kungfu there.

Little did he know, while he was away in the secluded island, his masters were cruelly murdered. Can he succeed in revenging his masters?
    1. Useless
    2. Red Clad Heroine
    3. Idiotic Hero
    4. Teenager Heroes
    Last edited by HeYanFeng; 06-30-08 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added summary

yo man, i love reading wuxia at this so i wanted to say thanks for expanding my horizons and translating some wuxia that i havent hurd of.

Quote Originally Posted by secretAZNman19 View Post
    yo man, i love reading wuxia at this so i wanted to say thanks for expanding my horizons and translating some wuxia that i havent hurd of.

No problem man, hope you guys can enjoy it as much as I did

I have read all 3 series & a few other in Indonesia (e-book). Wonder u have something else from other series

There used to be a lot more at hobibaca.com, too bad the site is closed now. Back then I read some stencils like [Pusaka Gua Siluman] that is my fave until now. I can't seem to find it online these days. If you do find those I can translate them if majority of people prefer so.

any translation at all i will be most appreciative of so please and thank you for taking the time to translate for us also if at all possible please choose the one with the most chinese wuxia like feel ^_^ possibly one with like most wuxia multiple females ;p

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

HeYanFeng, are you an Indonesian? Me too!

ANyway, thanks for the links! It's hard to come across Kho Ping Hoo's works nowadays.
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.

List of his books here & some download links at bottom:

http://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kho_Ping_Hoo

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeburner View Post
    HeYanFeng, are you an Indonesian? Me too!

ANyway, thanks for the links! It's hard to come across Kho Ping Hoo's works nowadays.
    Lifeburner- yes, I am Indonesian. I currently live in Chicago, US. So no going to local market to get more KPH works. Unfortunately the extent of my KPH novels is just these 3 series.

any translation at all i will be most appreciative of so please and thank you for taking the time to translate for us also if at all possible please choose the one with the most chinese wuxia like feel ^_^ possibly one with like most wuxia multiple females ;p
    Shi-Potian, let me give you a brief overview of what the pilots are. Note that since the names are Hokkianese I have to take some wild shot as to what the mandarin names are.

Peerless Master:
    Gua Shenlong, the miraculous boy, were highly sought after and contested by the martial experts. Some wanted him to become their disciples, some wanted to take him as prestige, some actually wanted to use his miraculous organs to enhance their kungfu skills.

Eventually Shenlong became a disciple of the Ice Island, and from there, through some plot twists and turns, he was 'enlightened' and became the WuJi XianShi (Peerless Master).
    Fragrant Wooden Sword:
    Jia ZhengHong, a lowly servant-boy from Kunlun, managed to meet Xie JunHong, regarded as the top martial exponent of the time. Xie had Xiang Mu Jian [Fragrant Wooden Sword] in his possession. The sword was highly sought after in JiangHu, as it had many powerful properties. It was also the key to find Xie's treasure, where he stored all his Kungfu manuals and marvellous weapons.

The story followed ZhengHong as he grew up and learnt the treachery of JiangHu, the ups and downs of his lovelife, love and hatred, and what really happened to Xie JunHong back then.
    Useless:
    Lu Guanzhu almost died once, and was saved by his two masters. Through a series of coincidence, he managed to get a hold of an ancient Kungfu manuscript, dated hundreds of years ago. After many hardships, he reached the hiding place and learned the Kungfu there.

Little did he know, while he was away in the secluded island, his masters were cruelly murdered. Can he succeed in revenging his masters?

My personal opinion. Peerless Master is probably the most popular among the 3 series. I actually have read the pilot series 3-4 times by now. Not until much later did I find out about Fragrant Wooden Sword and Useless.

Of course, just like any other series, there are bound to be some 'dull' ones. I personally believe the series are meant to be read from the start to finish instead of jumping around for 'good ones'. That way it actually provides us some background and insights. Many of the series make reference to the earlier books; reading them in order helps us understand who is who and why things happen the way they happen.

From the initial survey results it appears that Peerless Master has some decent support. Perhaps I'll start with that one first. If enough people want it, I might be able to squeeze out some more info on the other series, but for now I'll start with Peerless Master first.

Thanks for the introduction, and if you're translatng - -> thanks again.

Han solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

yes that is awesome and of all the novel plots you have described i too find the peerless master to have quite the intriguing storyline once again thank your for taking the time to spread the wuxia love highly appreciated!

Thumbs up Supporting KPH translation !!

Quote Originally Posted by HeYanFeng View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kho_Ping_Hoo

Greetings!

I've been lurking the translation in the background and I feel that it's time to contribute I noticed we have a lot of Jin Yong and Gu Long, with Huang Yi encroaching. No Kho Ping Hoo as he is not very well known outside of Indonesia. Unlike Jin Yong or Gu Long and the rest of his peers, he had never set foot in China, thus his works contain a lot of historical/geographical discrepancies. However, once you can get over those flaws (just treat his works as something that happened in an alternate universe or something !), you'd come to appreciate his creativity (or I hope ).

So as I have in my possession a bootleg version of his novels, I want to start with the first book of one of these series, perhaps some Indonesians here can help me decide. I made up the English titles, the original Indonesian/Hokkian titles in parenthesis.

The series that I have:
    - Peerless Master (Bu Kek Siansu)
    - Fragrant Wooden Sword (Pedang Kayu Harum)
    - Useless Hero (Bu Pun Su)

Disclaimer:
    Kho Ping Hoo used a lot of Hokkian expressions and terminology. The moves used in his books are in Hokkian. I will try to translate the words into Hanyu Pinyin as much as possible. If you catch any mistakes later please let me know by all means so we can fix and improve the translations.
    Hi HeYanFeng !!
    Nice to hear that someone is finally bravely to introduce Kho Ping Hoo to international wuxia reader !!
    I'm a big fans of KPH myself and have been reading all those series above 2-3 times...., and still I find it interesting.

I would suggest you to start with Pedang Kayu Harum, since it has more CY and bit of GL style...,

However, Bu Kek Siansu sequel is also very good story. If you want to start with this series, you can break it into several sequence. This is what I think:
    1. PART I (Book I - Book V, there is a very strong interconnection between each main characters up to Book V)
    2. PART II (Book VII - Book XI, this part can be considered as a different story {even though most of the martial arts and histories are related/based on PART I}, The era of Bu Kek Siansu end, and replaced by Suma Han and his further generations.)
    3. PART III (Book XII - end), A new top martial art clan/cult are introduced to the story, to match the Iceland (Pulau Es) martial arts superiority. {E.g. Lembah Naga and Istana Gurun Pasir}.

Fyi, Book VI-Hunchbacked Hero doesn't have any interconnection with any parts of Bu Kek Siansu series. It's a stand-alone story!

I'd love to help, should you need any help in translating the stories please let me know. I'm sure many others would like to help as well, ... just need to 'sync' the names of the characters, places, cult, martial-art terms, etc.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

For those who understand Indonesian, the series can be downloaded here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~bandung/

Peerless Master (Bu Kek Siansu):
    Peerless Master:

Fragrant Wooden Sword (Pedang Kayu Harum):

Fragrant Wooden Sword:

Useless (Bu Pun Su):
    Useless:
    thanx for the link, I'm malay so will try to read the novel. However there are words that I can't understand. Do you know any reliable BI to english online dictionary.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by .:mich:. View Post
    Hi HeYanFeng !!
    Nice to hear that someone is finally bravely to introduce Kho Ping Hoo to international wuxia reader !!
    I'm a big fans of KPH myself and have been reading all those series above 2-3 times...., and still I find it interesting.

I would suggest you to start with Pedang Kayu Harum, since it has more CY and bit of GL style...,

However, Bu Kek Siansu sequel is also very good story. If you want to start with this series, you can break it into several sequence. This is what I think:
    1. PART I (Book I - Book V, there is a very strong interconnection between each main characters up to Book V)
    2. PART II (Book VII - Book XI, this part can be considered as a different story {even though most of the martial arts and histories are related/based on PART I}, The era of Bu Kek Siansu end, and replaced by Suma Han and his further generations.)
    3. PART III (Book XII - end), A new top martial art clan/cult are introduced to the story, to match the Iceland (Pulau Es) martial arts superiority. {E.g. Lembah Naga and Istana Gurun Pasir}.
    Fyi, Book VI-Hunchbacked Hero doesn't have any interconnection with any parts of Bu Kek Siansu series. It's a stand-alone story!

I'd love to help, should you need any help in translating the stories please let me know. I'm sure many others would like to help as well, ... just need to 'sync' the names of the characters, places, cult, martial-art terms, etc.
    Hey mich! Thanks a lot for the support. The idea of grouping the books into parts would work great, as it would make more sense to read a continuous story like that.

I don't have a copy with me in the office right now, but I thought

click to show/hide spoilers
    Hunchbacked Hero was originally a servant in the Jiang Long family (Jiang Long - Kam Long is a descendant of the first Golden Flute, Jiang WuSong - Kam BuSong). He was entrusted with safeguarding the Jiang Family's treasures.

It was probably the lesser known of the series as it is not as deep/interesting as the rest of the series.

I am in the process of translating the first part of the book, and boy is translating from Indonesian to English a pain ><

Hey mich! Thanks a lot for the support. The idea of grouping the books into parts would work great, as it would make more sense to read a continuous story like that.

I don't have a copy with me in the office right now, but I thought

Hunchbacked Hero was originally a servant in the Jiang Long family (Jiang Long - Kam Long is a descendant of the first Golden Flute, Jiang WuSong - Kam BuSong). He was entrusted with safeguarding the Jiang Family's treasures.

It was probably the lesser known of the series as it is not as deep/interesting as the rest of the series.
    Ayyaaa..., I'm apologize for making a wrong comment!!
    I need to clarify that the BOOK-VI (Hunchbacked Hero) SHOULD BE in the story. In fact, the main character in that book will be playing an important role in Book 9 & 10.
    Therefore, it's as important and interesting as other series.
    My apology again.... , sorry to say that you are 'wrong' by saying that "Hunchbacked Hero was originally a servant in the Jiang Long family, and he's the one that has been entrusted to guard the Jiang Family's treasures."

After I read what you said above, I suddenly realised that there is another hunchbacked character in the story. Can you guess who??
    If you check the end part of Hunchbacked Hero series, the main character (Sie Liong the huchbacked) never going back to the south. He's wandering around the Gobi desert and never want to reveal his name. Later, people know him as Gobi Bu-Beng Lojin !

In the end of Book-9 and end of Book-10, there is a story of him. In fact, Kho Ping Hoo has reflected his martial arts to be as superior as Ice Island martial arts.
    The son of General Kao, Kao Kok Chu is his disciple, and his martial arts play important role in many of the chapters (i.e. Sin-Liong Hok-Te).

I am in the process of translating the first part of the book, and boy is translating from Indonesian to English a pain ><
    Tell me about it . Keep it up bro', many are supporting you!
    So feel free to ask if you need any help.

Quote Originally Posted by .:mich:. View Post
    My apology again.... , sorry to say that you are 'wrong' by saying that "Hunchbacked Hero was originally a servant in the Jiang Long family, and he's the one that has been entrusted to guard the Jiang Family's treasures."

After I read what you said above, I suddenly realised that there is another hunchbacked character in the story. Can you guess who??
    If you check the end part of Hunchbacked Hero series, the main character (Sie Liong the huchbacked) never going back to the south. He's wandering around the Gobi desert and never want to reveal his name. Later, people know him as Gobi Bu-Beng Lojin !

In the end of Book-9 and end of Book-10, there is a story of him. In fact, Kho Ping Hoo has reflected his martial arts to be as superior as Ice Island martial arts.
    The son of General Kao, Kao Kok Chu is his disciple, and his martial arts play important role in many of the chapters (i.e. Sin-Liong Hok-Te).
    Oh, you are right mich! Sorry for the mix-up... somehow I confused the hunchback hero (Xie Long - Sie Liong) with the Kam family servant who was safeguarding the treasures... may be that servant was just not good, but not hunchbacked... been about 2 years since I read that book as it was a bit 'meh' to me, a hero that's handicapped doesn't make a pretty story does it

Mich, if you don't mind we can talk on what we can do to standardize the names as KPH didn't include the Hanyu Pinyin... I'll PM you for your opinion.

The first stretch is almost done for Peerless Master - After some QA/QC I'll upload it tonight.

question.. as this will be my first translation.

Would it be acceptable to provide a list of characters, similar to 'a step into the past' by Jean? The list could help us understand who is who, but at the same time it will just give us spoiler left and right.... Trying to give the character list without giving away some spoilers seems a bit hard for me

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

I say the Fragrant Wooden Sword! I just read the Indonesian version, and I'd like to read the English translation, if it's possible. The hero's name was Cia Keng Hong. I don't know how to translate this into Mandarin. Hmmm.... Jia Jingfeng?
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.