Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've decided to learn Korean...

Default I've decided to learn Korean...

I don't know if this will be as successful as Tommy's thread.....Are there any Korean spcneters out there? Anyone? Anyone?!

But yeah, if anyone..anyone can teach me one phrase a day, that would be so awesome

After having watched a number of Korean films, the only memorable word that they say all the time that I've managed to remember is:

click to show/hide spoilers
    F***

I swear that I did not intentionally try to learn this word, but the way they say it, and the way the subtitles are displayed, just make it memorable.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Hi...okay, I won't lie. When I first saw the title of this thread, I was like: WTF?

Great, someone else is going to learn a new language with me now (althought you're not learning Chinese).

I don't know much about Korean, but I do have some good news for you. Korean, unlike Chinese, has a set of letters (I think 26). So, therefore, you will have it much easier than me.

OMG! Me too! Someone teach me Korean so I can talk to my Hero and U-know!

i hear koreans say this a lot when they're trying to give encouragement.

'hwaiting!' or some say it 'fighting'... which is it?

i signed up for a website that promised to find me a friend in korea cause they want to learn english and in return i'll learn korean. but i haven't heard anything after 3 weeks, i guess i can't expect much from a free forum.

any koreans here that is willing to teach me? i'll eventually come meet you in korea when i feel that i can comfortably speak the language. and i'll treat you to a concert when i come over!

probably because i'm not very familiar with the language, but from what i do know, it seems that the korean letter system seems more complicated than english/latin letters or japanese hiragana pronunciation systems. instead of a linear formation, they do a box stacking thing. i hear it's similar to the thai letter system?

anyways, maybe it's just something you have to get used to.

also, like french, sometimes ending consonants are silenced or carried over to the next word.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 04-02-08 at 08:54 PM.

I'm not getting much love in my own thread =(

I'll start teaching other people then....This is so sad.

Araso = I understand (I think?)
    Bien-Ne = I'm sorry?
    Oppa = older brother (ha everyone knows this)
    Dongsen = younger brother/sister?
    Appa = father
    Umma = Mother
    Senpai = uncle-like greeting/elder male

Oh I know like one thing.

SARANG HEYO.

And kimchi?

Thank you JJ Lin, for teaching me all the Korean I'll know in a lifetime. But trying to be helpful, I do recommend you listen to Korean music (like Rain ). Listening to Lara Fabian and Celine Dion helped my French I think...
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Hahaha! Here, you should watch all these episodes on learning korean.
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/series-24...ak-Korean.html

I think they have one for learning Japanese.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

okay so i can read, but i have no freaking idea what i'm reading! it's pretty easy to learn the alphabets. so now i need someone to talk to me and teach me the meanings.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Hahaha! Here, you should watch all these episodes on learning korean.
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/series-24...ak-Korean.html

I think they have one for learning Japanese.
    Suet Seung, do they have one for Chinese?

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    okay so i can read, but i have no freaking idea what i'm reading! it's pretty easy to learn the alphabets. so now i need someone to talk to me and teach me the meanings.
    when there's no live person, use a dictionary as a substitute

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    when there's no live person, use a dictionary as a substitute
    lol, dude i don't want to go to korea carrying a dictionary!
    i want to be able to say what i want to say without having to go 'ummmmm' and use hand signals.
    when i meet jaejoong i want to be able to use korean to hit on him.
    araso?

korea (like northern china) is one of the most unforgiving places to go if you don't know the local language. I went to a "chinese" restaurant in korea and they couldn't understand mandarin or cantonese in the end we had to call one of our korean friends and had her order for us by talking to the waitress on our mobile.

Hardly anybody knows english. I'm not sure how much hollywood they watch, but you'd think they'd learn a few words like toilet, bus, taxi etc. We resorted to drawing pictures and the locals drew pictures back.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    korea (like northern china) is one of the most unforgiving places to go if you don't know the local language. I went to a "chinese" restaurant in korea and they couldn't understand mandarin or cantonese in the end we had to call one of our korean friends and had her order for us by talking to the waitress on our mobile.

Hardly anybody knows english. I'm not sure how much hollywood they watch, but you'd think they'd learn a few words like toilet, bus, taxi etc. We resorted to drawing pictures and the locals drew pictures back.
    yeah, that is why i want to learn how to speak and express my feelings as i wish before going there.

i was just told that i have to be prepared about my age and being single. i'm considered the perfect age to marry right now, and if i don't even have a boyfriend they'll either end up setting me up or make fun of me for not having a boyfriend. maybe i should just tell them i have one. wahh then jaejoong, yunho, heechul, eeteuk, kangin, siwon, and so on can't hit on me.

Jae Joong is such a pretty boy *gags*.

The crunchyroll video goes too fast for me (yea I know sad)...if I get a Korean bf, I think I can learn faster lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Jae Joong is such a pretty boy *gags*.
    just keep your hands off of my joongie.

The crunchyroll video goes too fast for me (yea I know sad)...if I get a Korean bf, I think I can learn faster lol.
    i go to a website that teaches the alphabets, but it's not completed yet. still waiting for the last lesson to complete.

and i finally found a korean living in seoul on msn, but damn! her english is perfect! and she wants to speak english more than korean!

just keep your hands off of my joongie.

i go to a website that teaches the alphabets, but it's not completed yet. still waiting for the last lesson to complete.

and i finally found a korean living in seoul on msn, but damn! her english is perfect! and she wants to speak english more than korean!
    Sure, my hands are far away, but I'm not sure if my vomit will be.

Lol, there's tons of Koreans at my school. I was so proud when I recognized a couple of phrases on the subway from two Korean people having a conversation.

Sure, my hands are far away, but I'm not sure if my vomit will be.

Lol, there's tons of Koreans at my school. I was so proud when I recognized a couple of phrases on the subway from two Korean people having a conversation.
    not many koreans live in my town. i see one of two once in a while. but i'll make sure to invite you if i get someone to teach me korean on msn or skype. just make sure you don't vomit on her fave celebs.

how are the videos working out? i'm still trying to pronounce everything correctly, which is not working out well.

OMG! Me too! Someone teach me Korean so I can talk to my Hero and U-know!

i hear koreans say this a lot when they're trying to give encouragement.

'hwaiting!' or some say it 'fighting'... which is it?

i signed up for a website that promised to find me a friend in korea cause they want to learn english and in return i'll learn korean. but i haven't heard anything after 3 weeks, i guess i can't expect much from a free forum.

any koreans here that is willing to teach me? i'll eventually come meet you in korea when i feel that i can comfortably speak the language. and i'll treat you to a concert when i come over!
    Apparently the Korean language does not utilize the "f" sound, that's why they say "hwaiting" instead of "fighting" and "pool house" instead of "full house."

I'm not getting much love in my own thread =(

I'll start teaching other people then....This is so sad.

Araso = I understand (I think?)
    Bien-Ne = I'm sorry?
    Oppa = older brother (ha everyone knows this)
    Dongsen = younger brother/sister?
    Appa = father
    Umma = Mother
    Senpai = uncle-like greeting/elder male
    Mianhae = I'm sorry

And uh, isn't "senpai" Japanese? In Korean it should be "sunbae." I think Korean is pretty difficult to learn...what with the whole formal and informal ways of speaking. I love learning languages though...planning to take a Korean course at the only college around here that even offers it.