Thread: DOMD Update Thread

Default DOMD Copyright Issues

I just want to note that there are multiple places online where one can effortlessly look at the entirety of the Minford Translation, due to its ridiculous pricing and circulation.

These are not hard to find, and I'm sure that many if not most of the people that would have been reading what I was editing are at least familiar or have read the most if not all of his translation (did you even read the comments?).

Many of the sites that DO have his whole work don't even try to work with the copyright issue; they just paste the whole thing word for word, whereas much of the stuff I wrote is considerably different (again, compare the two side by side to see the magnitude of the changes). Further, as far as I can tell, Minford hasn't gone into a massive rage over the fact that his work is more or less freely available online. Heck, Qiqi has had the English version of Book and Sword up for as long as I can remember.

http://qiqi.com/cgi-bin/bk2.pl?fd1=b...ong&in=jinyong

And it's still up! Somehow. We're talking almost a decade here. I could post similar sites for the entire DOMD translation, but I guess that would be inappropriate since I don't think they've been up for a decade yet.

I respect your right to close the thread, but I find your reasons insufficient.
    Last edited by HuntingX; 07-03-08 at 07:28 AM.

When dealing with edited work, I believe that if you have changed (edited) a certain percentage of the entire body of work the copyright does not apply because it can be considered original work. You may want to research that as a way to keep posting DOMD.
    --=={Grundle}==--

First of all, I think your translation is top-notch. Just reading the first part is already much better than reading the original version.

However, I see some probable issues that prompted Han Solo to close the thread. The main one is the possibility that the whole forum would be forced to close, which would then really be lamentable.

On your example:
    Book and Sword was originally published by Graham Earnshaw online.
    Later it's published, with Rachel May and John Minford as the translators/editors. I think the translation that is put up on Qiqi is the Earnshaw's.

Maybe Graham Earnshaw is not so keen on eradicating the online text of his work. I haven't compared Earnshaw vs. Minford-edited version - but there's bound to be some alteration, and these alterations might not benefit us actually, and Earnshaw wants to aid us.

I fully understand "the pain" you have when reading DOMD version in English. These books are available in the university library here in the US (interlibrary loan would work too), but it's a big, big, trudging-through-the-mud read. I practically skipped most of Book 3 because I just couldn't stand it anymore. (besides the fact that the book is way, way too long...)

But I think you can understand the issue with posting the 'translation' on the forum.

I personally would read your translation. You might just have to post it somewhere else.

I second Fastlock's opinion. I, too, belong to the group who prefer to keep the story as 'Chinese' as possible. (Mel Gibson insisted on using original language(s) in his movies). But if spcnet has some issues with copyright, either you translate your own version (and thus do not infringe Minford's right), or post it someplace else.

If you take the second option, would you let us know? As I mentiones someplace else, I don't have time to read it right away, but I will certainly visit it later.

Good luck!

I guess I can create my own website or something, but so much hassle

I'd also have to put a creative name so Minford doesn't randomly search for DOMD and finds out his translation is on the web for all to see.

I really really doubt they'd shut down spcnet for something like this, especially since its so heavily edited that it barely resembles his original version. But I can see where the concerns lie.

If anyone has a website already hosted, I can probably post it there, and just let the people in spcnet know about it.

An easier way might be to set up a blog account rather than a website?

just a suggestion.

AWWWWWWWWW... the thread got shut down

HuntingX, your translation thus far is so awesome. I think Jean has a great idea. You can create a blog with simple features and post up the translation that way. You don't even need to post the title. Please let us know if you decide to continue.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    AWWWWWWWWW... the thread got shut down

HuntingX, your translation thus far is so awesome. I think Jean has a great idea. You can create a blog with simple features and post up the translation that way. You don't even need to post the title. Please let us know if you decide to continue.
    yeah blogspot is free service: should reserve yours at:

huntingx.blogspot.com for example

anyway I can volunteer to setup them for you, it easy as ABC, just PM me
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 07-03-08 at 10:14 PM.

Default DOMD Update Thread

First, I want to thank everyone for their support. Many people have come forward offering their own websites and help in setting up a translation.

I'm not 100% sure that I'll be as motivated to finish the whole thing since I can't do it on SPCNET (where I've freely read so many excellent translations myself), but I'll try my best.

Since FoxS has been one of the pre-eminent translators, and since he is letting me piggyback on his site, that's probably the best idea.

Here's how it's going to work:

Updates will be posted once in a while on his site in HTML format.

Then, I will post a message on this thread to let everyone know and have people leave comments.

Here's what I need now:
    At least 2 additional editors to help with the editing and re-wording.

1 person familiar with Wuxia and especially Ancient Chinese (and Qing Dynasty) terms so that when I remove the crap that Minford uses I don't misuse words.

Once I have the "team" assembled I'll give them my current progress and the updates will start.

Thoughts?

HuntingX,

1) I love your translation and in fact, laments the fact that Minford's translation is pretty mechanical. I do own minford's translations myself.

2) We are still happy to host your translation but urge that you try to translate from the original source rather than derive from Minford's translation.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

I'm actually leaning toward translating it myself, just so I don't have to put Minford's name anywhere on the translation.

Sooo much work, and I'm doing my PHD right now. Maybe if I had a lot of help

Default DOMD Help

OK I have a new plan.

Here's what I need:
    Someone to go over my old work and re-translate the portions that are straight rips of Minford's translation. I'm afraid if I get bogged down in stuff I've already read I'm going to stop translating completely.

All my new translation is done without Minford, so there are no copyright issues.

But my old stuff (maybe 20-30 pages of text) needs someone (fluent in Chinese obviously) to go over and fill in the stuff that I copied from Minford. I know it's asking a lot, but I have maybe 40 more pages done after that, and I really really don't feel like going back and doing it. And also, not everything is copied from Minford. I've made many many many changes. So you'd only be realistically re translating half of it.

As soon as that's done, I'll repost everything (the first chapter) here in SPCNET as well in FoxS's website.

The sooner someone (or multiple people) help out, the sooner the translation hits the press.

Good Luck and Good Job.

You'll have my moral spiritual support- translating JY is a biatch from personal memory.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by HuntingX View Post
    Here's what I need now:
    At least 2 additional editors to help with the editing and re-wording.
    if you still need an editor, feel free to send stuff my way. it'll give me something to do while i wait for the latest chapter of LOCH.

wut websites can we go to see the minford translation? i have looked many places but cannot find any thank u

It doesn''t exist. O_o

Try Amazon perhaps.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Close/delete this thread, the other one is more up to date