Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    Currently there is a fanboy tug war at IMDB between TDK fans and The Godfather fans. Both side are in the process of giving lots of 1 vote to opposite movies so that either movies can be at #1 at the IMDB top 250. Currently TDK still win with 9.2 weighted average and The Godfather at no. 2 with 9.1 weighted average
    I really liked The Dark Knight, but seriously, it's not the best movie ever made. I think The Godfather would be slightly above it.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhotastic View Post
    The reason why Titanic was in such a mass hysteria cuz of the adolescence teenage girls who went to see the movie 4 or 5 times.
    Not really. The movie made 600 million, back when tickets were 5 bucks. You don't get those totals just because you have rabid fangirl appeal.

People involved in the film industry will tell you just how unusual Titanic's box office numbers were. It actually had a modest opening weekend, and had the numbers go up in the second and third weekend that it was out. Then not to mention it was in theatres for about 9 months.

Titanic never received typical blockbuster marketing. It missed its summer opening and opened in November. Its best weekend was several months later on Valentine's Day. Compare this to most movies that make half of their total on their opening weekend, then fade and are out of theatre within two months.

It's a different box office landscape now. There's more pressure than ever to get a movie out to DVD/Blu-Ray sooner. Top movies rarely get the word of mouth advertising that Titanic got.

Titanic and Gone with the Wind are the two box office 'phenomena' with numbers that most people simply can't explain or account for. They were just perfect storms that 'happened.'

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Not really. The movie made 600 million, back when tickets were 5 bucks. You don't get those totals just because you have rabid fangirl appeal.

People involved in the film industry will tell you just how unusual Titanic's box office numbers were. It actually had a modest opening weekend, and had the numbers go up in the second and third weekend that it was out. Then not to mention it was in theatres for about 9 months.

Titanic never received typical blockbuster marketing. It missed its summer opening and opened in November. Its best weekend was several months later on Valentine's Day. Compare this to most movies that make half of their total on their opening weekend, then fade and are out of theatre within two months.

It's a different box office landscape now. There's more pressure than ever to get a movie out to DVD/Blu-Ray sooner. Top movies rarely get the word of mouth advertising that Titanic got.

Titanic and Gone with the Wind are the two box office 'phenomena' with numbers that most people simply can't explain or account for. They were just perfect storms that 'happened.'
    The original STAR WARS achieved something like this in 1977 as well. So did E.T. in 1982.

But I don't think either STAR WARS or E.T. had the amazing box office endurance that TITANIC had.

The original Star Wars can be explained for because it was a breakthrough in the film industry with its clever use of technology, including cute scene transitions.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    The original Star Wars can be explained for because it was a breakthrough in the film industry with its clever use of technology, including cute scene transitions.
    It was also a very entertaining movie. Simple story, easily identifiable characters, universal themes.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I really liked The Dark Knight, but seriously, it's not the best movie ever made. I think The Godfather would be slightly above it.
    IMDB top 250 doesn't means it the best movie in terms of "Oscar" quality, it is based on a vote by normal people like you and me and no involvement whatsoever from the film critics, well accept if they also bother to submit their vote. The rating means film that is widely accepted by a whole range of audience and very popular. So it's more of a popular vote than "quality" vote. Nonetheless TDK is still a quality filmaking.

If you check the vote count, both movies got thousands rating of 1 from the movie's haters which is very unlikely that movies such as TDK or The Godfather to be rated that bad at the lower bottom of the scale.
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 08-01-08 at 11:59 AM.

IMDB top 250 doesn't means it the best movie in terms of "Oscar" quality, it is based on a vote by normal people like you and me and no involvement whatsoever from the film critics, well accept if they also bother to submit their vote. The rating means film that is widely accepted by a whole range of audience and very popular. So it's more of a popular vote than "quality" vote. Nonetheless TDK is still a quality filmaking.

If you check the vote count, both movies got thousands rating of 1 from the movie's haters which is very unlikely that movies such as TDK or The Godfather to be rated that bad at the lower bottom of the scale.
    I realize that. I mean, even as an average movie goer, I still find The Godfather to be a little better than the Dark Knight, as much as I loved that movie.
    My love and my agony.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I realize that. I mean, even as an average movie goer, I still find The Godfather to be a little better than the Dark Knight, as much as I loved that movie.
    So what you're waiting for, go vote 10 for The Godfather and vote 1 for TDK, this is what both fans of both movies currently doing at IMDB since the release of TDK. It's a voting war. I already done my part which is the opposite .
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 08-01-08 at 01:54 PM.

IMDB is very flawed. I bet you that most people who rated The Dark Knight as a 9 or 10 don't feel that it was the "best" movie of all time. They just felt that it was a 9 or 10 movie.

So what you're waiting for, go vote 10 for The Godfather and vote 1 for TDK, this is what both fans of both movies currently doing at IMDB since the release of TDK. It's a voting war. I already done my part which is the opposite .
    I don't really care about the voting :P. I still like Pulp Fiction better than both of the two, so yah.
    My love and my agony.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    IMDB is very flawed. I bet you that most people who rated The Dark Knight as a 9 or 10 don't feel that it was the "best" movie of all time. They just felt that it was a 9 or 10 movie.
    Yeh I know, it's similar to voting who the best between YG and GJ - LOL. On the other hand, like other people out there, you assume IMDB top 250 means the "best" movie out there, it's not, it's more of a popular vote and which movie got the biggest fanbase and fanboy for that matter. Did you check how crazy the box-office of TDK, projected to 400M this coming monday/tuesday only after the third week. It will be the 2nd after titanic after it's finish its run at the cinema. See how big the fanbase is!, so getting to the top of the top 250 is a very easy thing to do. But its probable that after all the hype gone it will going down from the top at #1.

For example let say, at one time there are more YG fans in this board logging in, then when the POLL is done and YG wins it doesn't mean YG can kick GJ as* to oblivion. Get it!
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 08-02-08 at 03:32 AM.

Even if the Dark Knight surpasses Titanic in North America sales, there's no way it'll beat 1.8 freakin billion.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    Even if the Dark Knight surpasses Titanic in North America sales, there's no way it'll beat 1.8 freakin billion.
    1.8 Billion is the International Sales. For the domestic take, with the current trajectory of TDK, it is very unlikely (but not impossible) that it will pass Titanic 600+ Million at the box office. TDK is probably finish around 520M to 550M.

Box Office Statictics: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdow...imegrossvs.htm
    Prediction: http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog...h-titanic.html
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 08-02-08 at 10:37 PM.

Just came back from watching it. I love the chain of plots hatched by the Joker and how he kept telling different stories about his scars.

I find the ship scene touching (but doubt that would happen in real life, seriously) and the ending scene brought me close to tears.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

LOL, can you believe that, TDK number 1 at the box-office for the third week straight. Even the Mummy bow down to the Joker .

Weekend estimates (friday to sunday):
    The Dark Knight - $43,800,000 - Cumulative ($394,887,000) - sure going to reach the 400M on monday
    Mummy 3 - $42,450,000 - Cumulative ($42,450,000)

finally saw the movie. it was definitely a solid movie, but it is overrated and overhyped. it is definitely better than many movies, but i cannot believe it is considered the #1 movie of all times by so many.

i can see the appeal, but i don't think i'd ever want to sit through 2.5 hours of the dark knight again. i don't like to see too many movies twice. as a matter of fact, iron man was much more enjoyable than the dark knight for me. sure, the dark night's story is way more complicated, but seriously guys, a 2.5 hour movie based on a comic book cannot be that intellectually stimulating. i applaud dark knight for not belittling the audience's intelligence and providing us with so many twists and such a smart and psychotic villain; nevertheless, the dark knight overall was another good movie that i'm glad i saw. i came into the movie with minimal expectations even though my brothers rave about it non-stop. but because i did not like batman begins (too slow of an origin movie for me and katie holmes killed my experience), i wasn't expecting to be blown away by the movie, and i wasn't.

spoilers

i felt bad for batman and how he had to sacrifice himself and his reputation to remain as gotham's only true hero...it was absurd how a city was not ready for this hero. i really could not buy that. (but this is afterall a movie, so i let that one go pretty quickly)...however, i felt more sorry for the hulk (edward norton) than i did for batman even though batman chose to be a hero and the hulk was forced into his position.

at the end of the day, it's only a movie. it was fun in some parts. i am impressed by the use of real stuntsmen instead of relying on so much CGI, a good script, but really....overrated and almost boring (there were good moments but also many draggy moments). i'd rather watch iron man again any day. and that has nothing to do with robert downey junior.

btw, ledger was great in this movie. i can't say much about bale as his role left little for him to show his talent (wayne didn't have much emotion throughout the movie and hiding behind a mask really doesn't help one display his talents...it only worked for the movie V for vendetta). the joker was a fun villain...almost as good as the antagonist in no country for old men. i'll say this much, the dark knight is way more interesting than no country for old men.
    Last edited by patricia n; 08-03-08 at 02:11 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

I'd sit through 2.5 hrs of Dark Knight again. Bale is such a hottie ! A pity he's covered up like 3/4 of the movie. It's a VERY good movie, but to say #1 movie of all times is really too bold a claim. I wouldn't mind to see Ledger win an Oscar for his performance.

Best movie ever? No. An incredibly damn good one? Hell yes.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Best movie ever? No. An incredibly damn good one? Hell yes.
    Not at the top, but I'm sure it deserve its place in the top 5

Not at the top, but I'm sure it deserve its place in the top 5
    Not even. The IMDB rating has always been a hype machine. Every new movie gets bumped on top and then it eventually gowns down. The Dark Night doesn't even deserve to be the top 10.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?