Thread: Awesome 1970s LUK SIU FUNG *movie* footage.

Default Awesome 1970s LUK SIU FUNG *movie* footage.

Damian Lau and Wong Yeun Sun famously portrayed Luk Siu Fung and Sai Mun Chui Sheut in three series for TVB between 1976-1978 based on the Gu Long novels, but what I didn't know until an hour ago is that the two actors also portrayed those famous characters in a Shaw Brothers *movie* (called simply LUK SIU FUNG AND SAI MUN CHUI SHEUT in Cantonese and CHIVALRY OF CONSPIRACY in English) during the same time period.

The fighting footage is old school AWESOME! *THIS* stuff is the sh*t! Totally kick a*s!

What I can't figure out, however, is which LUK SIU FUNG novel this sequence would be adapted from...and what two enemies could last seven straight minutes against Luk Siu Fung and Sai Mun Chui Sheut.

In the TVB adaptations, hardly anybody lasted more than ninety seconds against Luk Siu Fung (and most went down in fewer than ten seconds), and only Luk Siu Fung, Dook Goo 1 Hok, Yip Goo Sing, and Lo Do Ba Tze were able to last more than a minute against Sai Mun Chui Sheut. Whoever these two guys were, they were able to hold off Luk and Sai Mun for seven minutes.

It wasn't bad, but the fight definitely felt a little dated. I mean, Wuxia fight choreography always looks a little realistic (real fights usually end up wrestling/grappling on the ground--not very good cinema), but it felt slow so the errors were just magnified (especially during the "slow-mo" footage where the framerate drops to near 0). I understand that fight choreography couldn't be too good then, because the cameras did not roll at a high enough framerate to capture the fastest of movements.

There was this one section at rought 3:10 where the guy in white was attacking a guy on the ground, but instead of just swinging his sword down on him, he would jump into the air, do a little pirouette and bring his sword down, giving his prone opponent the chance to roll away. Why didn't he just bring his sword straight down? Just little things like that really seem to take away from my enjoyment of the fight especially when the 'speed' of the choreography wasn't as fast.