Thread: To what extent would you go to win a Web argument, and how much does it mean to you?

Default To what extent would you go to win a Web argument, and how much does it mean to you?

Most of us are, to some extent, "Web Warriors." From time to time, most of us have gotten into long, contentious, bitter, occassionally even abusive arguments over one issue or another, on subjects ranging from global warming to whether or not somebody likes the newest television drama.

A great amount of time, energy, and morale is spent on these arguments, and frankly, winning or losing one doesn't really change the world or even one person's life very much. Still, people invest heavily in winning these arguments...to a point that most would deem fairly crazy.

To what extent would you, personally, go to win an Internet argument, and how much does it *really* matter to you? If you say that it doesn't matter to you, then why do you bother doing it at all?

I argue usually because I'm bored or am procrastinating.

But if there is a topic I actually really care about, then I'd try to argue for it a bit more. But I don't really care about winning per se, since I don't even know who I'm arguing against. Sometimes it's just fun.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Oh Ken, you and your -hatred- for Losing an Argument.

Personally, I try to resist online debates as much as possible. I would rather be indulging in my favorite pastime - eating great food. However, some debates are simply irresistible, which means I have a long way to go in my pursuit of DR: Distraction Resistance.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I tend to debate more if I'm procrastinating or bored...it's pretty much just for fun, although sometimes it's pretty interesting and appalling to see very different opinions. At the end of the day though, I really don't care whether I win or lose...it's not like winning would make me any better of a person or losing would make me any less of one. =)

i love participating in debates, but somehow always end up losing

btw it doesnt mean much to me, though i do learn soemthing whenever i lose
    Last edited by LuNaR; 07-08-08 at 04:36 PM.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Winning or losing a debate online doesn't mean anything to me, really. I debate for fun and to waste time. Moreover, a Web argument doesn't really bother me since I am not that easily attached to or affraid of people's opinions.

actually, you usually don't end up officially "winning" debates, b/c whoever is losing the debate either pretend to not know what your points mean, ignore your valid points, or ignore the thread as a whole.

but that said, like everyone said, arguing online is great for procrastination. though sometimes you learn (useful) things b/c you are forced to do research on something that you would not normally look up.

It's the same reason people lose sleep to play Survivor Games:
    people like to win!
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    To what extent would you, personally, go to win an Internet argument, and how much does it *really* matter to you? If you say that it doesn't matter to you, then why do you bother doing it at all?
    I just want to irritate people who take winning/losing arguments (on the Internet or not) too seriously.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Wow, how surprising Candide. I never would've thought that....

It depends on many factors:
    1) how passionate I am about the topic
    2) the person I'm arguring w....are they an idiot, a-hole, diplomatic, etc?
    3) how bored I am
    4) my mood, i.e. if I'm in an irritable mood

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    I just want to irritate people who take winning/losing arguments (on the Internet or not) too seriously.
    Hey, I find it enjoyable to do that too.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

don't care much but it feels good to win (i alwys win neways )
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

i never argue with you guyz cos most of you are really smart and make me look less intelligent.

I say argue with people that you can win but end of day, who cares.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

I go to great length to win an argument. How much does it mean to me? A lot, cause I think I'm always right and people need to recognize that. Heh. No, not really.

I'm passive about winning debate in general because I know I can't convert everyone. Plus, some people are too emotional to debate with. Most of the time I join a debate to point something out or to give support to the side that I'm on. Sure I hope that I win but I don't always win and I don't expect to.

I admire people who go digging for infor (whether from their brains, wiki or any form of resources) and passionately debate away like some smart arse. Personally, I'm likely to doze off reading some longstory posts online (which I get least interested in) and I honestly prefer not to waste my time on something that I'd participate out of leisure.

I can't be bothered to keep up with debates because it barely mean anything to me.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

A meaningful break to get into that interest-based avenue to fit in some of the pieces of the puzzle than for any deliberate argument. The problem with even a fan-based discussion is that they could turn into a debate gone awry that then breaks into arguments when the volatile emotions of one or both parties work one way or another in different latitudes. One of the complexities from the information age that has added more social complications than was experienced since before the 20th century even if internet communication makes the world a smaller and more understanding place, is that internet use for discussions also breeds a different form of personal predicament because of its 'facelessness'.

Ken, this is a most mature and very thoughtful thread that is a good reminder to all posters not to get emotional over some interest related discussions, though easier said than done if an individual takes the subject matter or argument in a personal way.

For those who does take winning so seriously: Does 'winning or 'losing' add or lose one extra pound of flesh from a person; increase your possessions or diminish it; makes one closer to what one hopes to achieve?? To me, the real 'winners' are those who either are being respected most for how they post and treat other peoples, silence doesn't mean ignorance but they know how to respect others by not wanting to impose themselves, especially moreso if they may not agree with it. Something i fall quite short of myself. The other 'winners' are those who benefit from just reading the posts for entertainment or else for some extra knowledge.
    Last edited by timeless; 10-07-09 at 06:35 AM.

Until I get bored, then I walk away. There is very little chance that any of the arguments I get involved in will have a significant impact either way, so all time spent is time wasted, except as far as I find the debate interesting. Once that motivation goes, there's no point in further wasting time.

Somehow, this is not as important to me today as it was a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Somehow, this is not as important to me today as it was a decade ago.
    I agree with Ken. See, no debate.

Most of us as we grow old, tend to escape away from debates.