Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Was *Jin Yong* biased in favor of Yeung Gor over Gwok Jing?

Default Was *Jin Yong* biased in favor of Yeung Gor over Gwok Jing?

Based on everything we've hashed, rehashed, and hashed again, do you think Jin Yong himself was biased for Yeung Gor over Gwok Jing?

It seems that Jin Yong went out of his way to make Yeung Gor look good in a way he never did for Gwok Jing (or any other of his characters, for that matter).

I *smell* bias.

I would say he's biased towards his 'stupid' characters, by giving them good fortune. Xu Zhu, SPT, and GJ are three easy examples.

If JY is biased towards YG, he has a funny way of showing it. "I really like this guy, so let's have no one like him, have him fall in love with his master, get his arm cut off, and then have to spend nearly twenty years of not being able to be with his woman."

I think by the end of the book, JY had to cut the guy a break.

I think the bias is measured by how well Jin Yong sets up the character to be mooned over not only by teenaged girls in the narrative, but also by teenaged girls and pre-teenaged girls in the real world for generations.

Yeung Gor got set up REAL good for that...

Gwok Jing, not so much...

Yes, YG was probably one of the better looking protagonists. But if JY wanted to portray unconditional love, one of the best devices for it is to show that there are other temptations, but the protagonist ignores them. Making YG have a face only a mama could love would kinda make that hard.

As for teenage girls loving him, I suppose it has much to do with this superficial aspect about him. GJ is not as good looking, and he's kinda dumb, and he doesn't have the 'bad boy' aura about him. Plus, YG's emo, and that automatically helps with the teenage girl crowd.

On the other hand, Gwok Jing is better set up for respect from grown up, straight, regular guys.

But it's probably better to be mooned over by teenaged girls.

i think its tvb being bias, putting the good loocking actors to be YG. u know like andy lau, louis koo...
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I think the bias is measured by how well Jin Yong sets up the character to be mooned over not only by teenaged girls in the narrative, but also by teenaged girls and pre-teenaged girls in the real world for generations.

Yeung Gor got set up REAL good for that...

Gwok Jing, not so much...
    The majority of readers of wuxia is male. So, nope. Not bias. If he's bias, he would have made YG more likeable to guys instead of teenaged girls.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-10-08 at 03:25 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    i think its tvb being bias, putting the good loocking actors to be YG. u know like andy lau, louis koo...
    Yeah, but TVB stuck Felix Wong and Julian Cheung into the Gwok Jing roles, so it's not like there was a *huge* drop off there.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    The majority of readers of wuxia is male. So, nope. Not bias. If he's bias, he would have made YG more likeable to guys instead of teenaged girls.
    Well, SOMETHING went wrong, because it seems like Yeung Gor gets all the rock star treatment these days.

It *seems* like everybody hates him, but it's really just me doing the hating for ten people all by myself.

On the other hand, Gwok Jing is better set up for respect from grown up, straight, regular guys.

But it's probably better to be mooned over by teenaged girls.
    Jin Yong is sooo BIAS!! He made Guo Jing so much more respectable!! How could he?!!!!!
    Last edited by kidd; 07-10-08 at 03:34 AM.

Jin Yong is sooo BIAS!! He made Guo Jing so much more respectable!! How could he!!!!!
    Respectable is fine, but a man hasn't lived until he's been mooned over by teenaged girls.

I thought the best way to show biasness to a character is to add lovable traits. Guo Jing seems more lovable to me but its subjective I guess.

i think its because YG put woman before country while GJ put country before woman. so guys like GJ more while woman like YG more. i konw im stereotyping, but just putting it out there
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    i think its because YG put woman before country while GJ put country before woman. so guys like GJ more while woman like YG more. i konw im stereotyping, but just putting it out there
    You're probably closer to the truth than you suspect.

Well, SOMETHING went wrong, because it seems like Yeung Gor gets all the rock star treatment these days.

It *seems* like everybody hates him, but it's really just me doing the hating for ten people all by myself.
    Well, Guo Jing still fairs better because not even 1 person is willing to go through the trouble of doing the hating of him for 10 people.

It's really not bias. It's just JY trying to write different type of protagonists.

Well, Guo Jing still fairs better because not even 1 person is willing to go through the trouble of doing the hating of him for 10 people.
    Laviathan used to, but he hasn't visited us in two years now.

flyingfox2002, however, *might* be up to the job.

Or perhaps Exodus.

Or perhaps *you*?

Laviathan used to, but he hasn't visited us in two years now.

flyingfox2002, however, *might* be up to the job.

Or perhaps Exodus.

Or perhaps *you*?
    Nope sorry. Can't do that. I don't have enough hate for him to be up to the task.

In fact, my current hate-o-meter for him is 0. He's neutral to me now. I neither hate nor like him.

Nope sorry. Can't do that. I don't have enough hate for him to be up to the task.
    It's OK. If you had said "yes," I'd have had to vaporize you with my Wave Motion Gun.

Oh, did I say that aloud? Excuse me...I had a few too many V8s tonight and my tongue is loose.

Respectable is fine, but a man hasn't lived until he's been mooned over by teenaged girls.
    i swooned over julian cheung's Guo Jing...does that help?

the teenage girl Huang Rong swooned over him

but on a serious note, i thought the LOCH Guo Jing was quite lovable. But once people jump into ROCH, Yang Guo, being the main character and all, just happens to take over the spotlight. In ROCH, you can't blame Jin Yong to sounded "as if" he's biased towards Yang Guo...it is from Yang Guo's perspective after all.

THus, may have been a time when Jin Yong "appeared" to be biased towards Yang Guo against Guo Jing while the opposite cannot be said. But did Jin Yong actually give Yang Guo more attention overall? Hard to say.

I suppose it would be an interesting discussion as to which of the Condor trilogy protagonists that Jin Yong was most biased to.

I personally think he's partial to ZWJ.