Thread: Japan and Korea - Must go places

Default Japan and Korea - Must go places

Hi there,

I'll be going on a vacation to Korea(around Seoul)then Japan (around Tokyo). I was wondering where are the must go places, for sure my friend suggest Lotto World (korea disneyland) but im sure there are many places that we shoudl visit while we're there, so thsoe who have travel to these countries, please share!

I'll be taking off at mid-August. Can't wait. After this trip, I really want to plan one for Taiwan xD
    Aaron Yan Mike He
    Yamapi Kim HyunJoong Lee Joon Lee HongKi

For Tokyo, I'd suggest:

Shinjuku 新宿 (standard shopping),
    Ikebukuro 池袋 (check out the Gyoza Town and the neighbouring Ice-Cream City)
    Jiyugaoka 自由が丘 (cute gift shops and its dessert-themed Sweets Forest)
    Akihabara 秋葉原 (computer/electronics/anime city)
    Ueno 上野 (bargain souvenirs and the huge toy/action figure building near the JR station)
    Asakusa 浅草 (festivities and traditional souvenirs)
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

^^ thanks!!
    Aaron Yan Mike He
    Yamapi Kim HyunJoong Lee Joon Lee HongKi

Besides the areas mentioned by expression, check out the world famous Tsukiji Fish Market to watch Japanese businessmen bid for fishes and also taste the freshest sushi. After that, you take the nice 20-minute ferry to Odaiba.

Expression: do you have any good restaurants in Tokyo that you can recommend?

Heh, I don't have specific names, since the quality is ridiculously high all-round. The down-side with all Japanese restaurants though is the smoke.

"Anonymous" places I liked:
    - the Japanese Italian-style reastaurant at the Ueno JR station
    - chain self-serving (coin ticket machineat entrance) "fast food" with a big red vertical banner specializing in fab Japanese curry (a tint of sweetness)
    - chain Kaiten-belt sushi near the Akihabara station (and scattered everywhere else)
    - as mentioned above, Gyoza town, ice-cream city, Dessert Forest

For dinner, my usual tactic is shop for food on the way back to the hotel, at the food court (basement) of department stores (you'll find one or more at each big sub station). They usually have discounts after 7pm so that's perfect timing. That way I can pick a nice assortment at an economical price and enjoy them comfortably in my little smoke-free hotel. Sashimi, bentos, tempura, cutlets, salads, you choose.

The izakaya(s) 居酒屋 in small streets have interesting menus. But be forewarned of the crazy smoke (albeit very romantic).
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Oh and I forgot to mention the famous theme parks around Tokyo for those interested (haven't been myself). There are the Bandai/Gundam Museum (recently moved I think), the Miyazaki Ghibli Museum, Tokyo Dome City, Sanrio Land, Disney (though I think time can be better spent in Japan than on Disney), among others.
    Last edited by expression; 07-31-08 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    The izakaya(s) 居酒屋 in small streets have interesting menus. But be forewarned of the crazy smoke (albeit very romantic).
    Thanks expression.

Japanese restaurant menus are interesting because many are in Japanese only. lol. I hope a Japanese person can order for me at the restaurants at the "Piss Alley".

Do you read Chinese? It helps a lot if you do. I remember many menus have pictures too.

Have fun in Japan!