Thread: I Am Happy (K-drama)

Default I Am Happy (K-drama)

I Am Happy
    A.K.A. Happiness/Bliss
    # of episodes: 50

Aired: February 2008

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.koreanmovie.com/korean_drama_photo_1202729846141.jpg')

Cast
    Lee Hoon as Lee Joon Soo
    Kim Hyo Jin as Park Seo Yoon
    Gil Yong Woo as Park Seung Jae
    Lee Hwi Hyang as Lee Se Young
    Ha Suk Jin as Kang Suk
    Kim Chul Ki as Lee Young Jae
    Ahn Yong Joon as Lee Joon Young
    Kim Jong Suh as Lee Joon Ki
    Lee Kye In as Lee Chul Gon
    Lee Eun Song as Park Ae Da
    Lee Jong Won as Park Sang Wook
    Choi Ji Na as Ha Kyung
    Shin Da Woon as Ahn Mi Sook
    Kim Yong Rim as Chul Gon’s mother-in-law

Anyone watching this now? It's turning out to be pretty good!
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

Default ???

What is it all about? The girl on the extreme right looks like Song HG but she's not (?).

None of them look familiar. I always wonder how South Korea could have 50-60 million people but has many actors and actresses, China has 1.5 billion people and I see many familiar faces in their dramas, all the time.

bella25, the girl on the extreme right is Lee Eun Song.

According to the cast names given, only a few are in the photo above. From left to right:
    3rd - Lee Hoon
    4th - Kim Hyo Jin
    5th - Lee Eun Song
    6th - Ha Suk Jin
    7th - Lee Jong Won

The story is actually pretty refreshing given usual Korean drama themes (poor girl/rich boy, siblings falling in love, terminal illness).

It is about the rich Park family with 3 grown children, a son (the oldest) and 2 daughters. The son is a coward who married a woman from a rich family to solidify his status as heir to the family company. The 2nd daughter, rebellious since childhood, faces off with her mother so that she can marry the man she loves, an employee of the company. The 3rd daughter, much more shy, soft-spoken and not as brave as the 2nd daugher, falls in love with an orphan (not from a rich family, obviously) and is also expected to win the battle against the snobbish mom.

The interesting thing about this whole story is that the rich family's father (President of the company) actually really dotes on the daughters and therefore supports their relationships with the men who are considered by the mother to be of lower class, much to the mother's chagrin.

The oldest son is also in love with his childhood sweetheart, who ironically works for the family. But b/c he wants to make sure he succeeds his father's position, he just has an affair with her while his wife suspects it all along.
    Last edited by sunnydayz3; 07-16-08 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    What is it all about?
    A typical long running family soap opera.

Strictly for domestic consumption and not for export. I doubt you will find it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    A typical long running family soap opera.

Strictly for domestic consumption and not for export. I doubt you will find it interesting.
    Domestic consumption? Like housewives watching them at home? Do they do product placement in k-dramas?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Domestic consumption? Like housewives watching them at home?
    By "domestic consumption" I mean being aimed at Korean audiences. The highest rated shows in Korea are the ones you never heard of and is unlikely you will find them interesting.

For example, the current no. 1 rated show is "First Wives Club", a story about a poor divorced woman with a 10 year old son and little education being chased by a super-rich and handsome single dude a decade younger than her. Now, how realistic is that kind of plot line? Of course stuffs like this won't sell overseas, but these kinds of shows, and ones starring Yi Joon Gi(The actor that women drool over) get the highest ratings.

Do they do product placement in k-dramas?
    Yup. The reason all these characters are "rich" is that so they could do tons of product placement.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    By "domestic consumption" I mean being aimed at Korean audiences. The highest rated shows in Korea are the ones you never heard of and is unlikely you will find them interesting.

For example, the current no. 1 rated show is "First Wives Club", a story about a poor divorced woman with a 10 year old son and little education being chased by a super-rich and handsome single dude a decade younger than her. Now, how realistic is that kind of plot line? Of course stuffs like this won't sell overseas, but these kinds of shows, and ones starring Yi Joon Gi(The actor that women drool over) get the highest ratings.

Yup. The reason all these characters are "rich" is that so they could do tons of product placement.
    I don't mind watching not highly popular shows. Eg. bad family was enjoyable to me and I simply love several episodes of queen of the game, but coffee prince left me in stitches It still does.

Howeverrr... 50 (like fifty????) episodes. When I watched Dae jang geum in two weeks, I had dreams in Korean or some language that I didn't understand. Wish I had, I think someone gave me tips on how to lose weight easily.

This show seems entertaining. I think I'll check out the beginning and the end.

Contrary to what Wikipedia and some other sites say, this series is now supposedly running for 60 episodes instead of the original 50.