Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yin / Yang balance of each hero's martial arts

Default Yin / Yang balance of each hero's martial arts

Xiao Feng is yang
    Duan Yu is ???
    Xuzhu is yin (Shen Si Fu) AND yang (Tianshan 6 Yang Zhang)
    Guo Jing is yin AND yang ???
    Yang Guo is yang
    Zhang Wuji is yang
    Shi Potian ?
    Linghu Chong ?
    Di Yun ?
    Chen Jialuo ?
    Hu Fei ?

More heroes seem to be yang, which is to be expected since they are chivalrous warriors. A few are balanced. While some others, I'm not sure.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Duan Yu, Xu Zhu, and Shi Potian should be neutral, The Beiming qi was a neutral type of inner power that allowed the practioners to suck other people's inner power without any backlash since it converted it to a neutral type of inner power.

Shi Potian practiced a form of inner power cultivation that balanced both Yin and Yang creating a neutral form of inner power

With Yi Jing Jing, LHC would be Yang.

Through luck and his own talent, Shi Potian actually mastered both extreme Yin and Yang internal powers. For that reason, I think he's arguably the strongest protagonist in JY's world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post
    Through luck and his own talent, Shi Potian actually mastered both extreme Yin and Yang internal powers.
    Xuzhu also achieved that.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Xuzhu also achieved that.
    Xiaoyu internal power also emphasized both yin and yang?

I just remember JY mentioning that Shi Potian's internal power was extremely
    rare because people either master extreme Yin or Yang, not both. And that was true in his world.

I think we need more clarification. Are we talking about internal? Or about internal and external? Because, I would think Tian Shan 6 Yang Zhang would be external.

Xiaoyu internal power also emphasized both yin and yang?
    I based it on the fact that Xuzhu can transform liquid into ice projectiles, which requires extreme yin energy, and he also knows Tianshan 6 Yang Palm, which as its name suggests, is yang.

I based it on the fact that Xuzhu can transform liquid into ice projectiles, which requires extreme yin energy, and he also knows Tianshan 6 Yang Palm, which as its name suggests, is yang.
    Does an external Yang technique also mean that the practitioner's internal power is also extreme Yang? For example, Xl18z is the most extreme Yang external technique yet few of its practitioners had extreme Yang internal power like 9 Yang.

I'd say that Shi Potian still has the edge in this area because it was made very clear that he simultaneously possessed both extreme Yin and Yang energies.

Does an external Yang technique also mean that the practitioner's internal power is also extreme Yang? For example, Xl18z is the most extreme Yang external technique yet few of its practitioners had extreme Yang internal power like 9 Yang.
    Hmm good point. I need to look into Tianshan 6 Yang zhang to see if it has any association with yang internal power.

I'd say that Shi Potian still has the edge in this area because it was made very clear that he simultaneously possessed both extreme Yin and Yang energies.
    Shi Potian may indeed possess more extreme yin / yang balance, but does that translate into greater combat power?

Shi Potian may indeed possess more extreme yin / yang balance, but does that translate into greater combat power?
    I think it's a huge advantage that has often been overlooked. It'd be very hard for an opponent to adjust between fighting hot and cold energies. It's even possible that an opponent might fire deviate when exchanging internal energy blows with Shi Potian. There were quite a few examples of high level fighters having problems just dealing with an extreme form of Yin or Yang energy. Imagine having to face both at the same time.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

according to chinese i-ching five elements theory, there are five types of energy, new yang (wood), extreme yang (fire), yin/yang balance (earth), new yin (metal), extreme yin (water). the type of energy each person has depends on the pricinples they practise on, their qi will have a mix of yin and yang accordingly.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

I think it's a huge advantage that has often been overlooked. It'd be very hard for an opponent to adjust between fighting hot and cold energies. It's even possible that an opponent might fire deviate when exchanging internal energy blows with Shi Potian. There were quite a few examples of high level fighters having problems just dealing with an extreme form of Yin or Yang energy. Imagine having to face both at the same time.
    But Shi Potian never demonstrated the ability to execute either extremely hot or cold energy (I don't think ?). Nothing comparable to, for example, You Tanzhi's icy fists.

I think Shi Potian is vastly overrated by SPCNET. People often overlook the fact that even at the end of novel, he BARELY has any fighting skill or experience. He only received very limited martial arts instructions. IMO he is like Zhang Wuji fresh out of the Qiankun bag (but with more internal energy), who wasn't much better than an experienced fighter at Cheng Kun's level... and Xuzhu right after he inherited the combined energies of 3 Xiaoyao Pai elders (but with less internal energy), who matched evenly with Jiumozhi.
    Last edited by PJ; 05-08-08 at 12:19 AM.

But Shi Potian never demonstrated the ability to execute either extremely hot or cold energy (I don't think ?). Nothing comparable to, for example, You Tanzhi's icy fists.
    Actually, he did. After drinking the cold and hot poisons of his sworn brothers, he slaughtered (unwiliingly) a whole clan with his poisonous palms. Also, JY made it very clear that SPT had mastered both Yin and Yang energies and not just a balanced type of internal power. He mentioned that it was an extremely rare achievement that only occured because of luck and SPT's talent.

I think Shi Potian is vastly overrated by SPCNET. People often overlook the fact that even at the end of novel, he BARELY has any fighting skill or experience. He only received very limited martial arts instructions. IMO he is like Zhang Wuji fresh out of the Qiankun bag (but with more internal energy), who wasn't much better than an experienced fighter at Cheng Kun's level... and Xuzhu right after he inherited the combined energies of 3 Xiaoyao Pai elders (but with less internal energy), who matched evenly with Jiumozhi.
    I think SPT showed great progress with his fighting ability in the story. Initially, he had no idea what to do in a fight and had basically zero external techniques. But he proved to be a quick learner. After very brief training sessions with his parents and future Grandma in Law, he never lost another fight although his performance was often ugly. Unlike XZ, it was made very clear that SPT wasn't just lucky but also a MA prodigy.

With his dominating performance against the two Island masters at the end of the story, I don't think it's fair to say anymore that SPT was still a novice. Also, it's a bit subtle but did you notice that SPT was far less hesitant with his actions after leaving the Island? He made instinctual use of his abilities unlike before, when he had to stop and think about every move.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

it was SPT's brother who mastered the poison palms. SPT had achieved a very high level pure energy. by the end, he had learned to execute powerful moves by linking his energy through his various channels. he had reached a high level of martial arts comprehension where he could execute formless moves.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Actually, he did. After drinking the cold and hot poisons of his sworn brothers, he slaughtered (unwiliingly) a whole clan with his poisonous palms. Also, JY made it very clear that SPT had mastered both Yin and Yang energies and not just a balanced type of internal power. He mentioned that it was an extremely rare achievement that only occured because of luck and SPT's talent.
    OK, I agree with you.

I think SPT showed great progress with his fighting ability in the story. Initially, he had no idea what to do in a fight and had basically zero external techniques. But he proved to be a quick learner. After very brief training sessions with his parents and future Grandma in Law, he never lost another fight although his performance was often ugly.
    Considering that he had at least 10 times more internal energy than anybody he fought (Pre-Gallant Island), not losing another fight is hardly an achievement.

Xuzhu could tie Jiumozhi, and Xuzhu was only 4 to 5 times more powerful.

Unlike XZ, it was made very clear that SPT wasn't just lucky but also a MA prodigy.
    Same with Zhang Wuji, he was also a prodigy (I think you use that word a lot). but he didn't become a great fighter until he acquired more experience.

With his dominating performance against the two Island masters at the end of the story, I don't think it's fair to say anymore that SPT was still a novice.
    The important thing to note is that he dominated against the Lords while he was in a subconscious state, AND the Lords had NO intention of hurting him. They were competing martial arts only. If the Lords wanted to kill him, it might be a different story. Shi Potian dominated against NO ONE in regular mode. In ROCH, Yang Guo landed a hit on the Golden Wheel Monk when he was in a subconscious state. But honestly, how many times can he reproduce that? If he can reproduce that all the time, then he'd be the strongest Great, no question asked.

Also, it's a bit subtle but did you notice that SPT was far less hesitant with his actions after leaving the Island? He made instinctual use of his abilities unlike before, when he had to stop and think about every move.
    It's said by Jin Yong that once you reach a *certain* level in martial arts, you will automatically and innately use your skills when faced with dangerous situations. In DGSD, You Tanzhi instinctively moved back when Xiao Feng's fist was in his face. There was no time to think, and You Tanzhi just reacted automatically, even though his kung fu sucked. What Shi Potian did was impressive, but we know that jumping across the ocean/sea is also performed by a sub-tier fighter in SSWRB. And he WAS still a novice at fighting.

Through luck and his own talent, Shi Potian actually mastered both extreme Yin and Yang internal powers. For that reason, I think he's arguably the strongest protagonist in JY's world.
    This deserves it's own thread. >.>
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

Di Yun is yang.

I think Yang Guo would actually be more yin than yang.

Duan Yu should be fairly neutral because of Beiming.

Linghu Chong, I felt always had a Yang leaning, which was intensified after YJJ.

Not sure about Hu Fei or Chen Jialuo, but my gut tells me that Hu Fei may actually be more Yin.

What XuZhu did was REVERSE Beiming Zhenqi to form ice out of wine. Which is quite a feat.