Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which actresses is overrated and underrated?

overrated:
    Liu Yi Fei
    Charmaine Sheh
    Shirley Yeung
    Rainie Yang
    Sonja Kwok
    Twins
    i don't think ariel lin and linda chung are overrated. both of them are good actresses. linda showed a lot of improvement over the years. in fact, i never hated her, even when i first saw her.
    Last edited by L4love; 07-26-08 at 04:26 PM.
    Currently watching:

• We got married
    • Moonlight Resonance
    • and many more...

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY, HOPE FOR TOMORROW."

Linda Chung
    Linda Chung
    Linda Chung

Myolie Wu
    Tavia Leung
    Liu Yi Fei

IMO these actresses are all overrated in regards to looks & acting skills!

I do not know how you define overrated or underrated.

I would say

Yang Mi
    Liu Tao
    Isabella Cheung
    Vicki Zhao

Are all overrated. What I mean, I watched their tv seires, but there's nothing special in their acting. I like YM but I have to admit that her performance in ROCH is overrated.

LYF, she is neither overrated nor underrated. Let us say 50% like her acting some do not. In ROCH, I think she did great. But it doesn't mean she acted flawlessly as XLN. I saw some comments that YM is underrated compared to LYF. But in my opinion, if YM is in LYF's place, I don't think she will do great as LYF did as XLN. This is just an honest opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Mi View Post
    YM is underrated compared to LYF. But in my opinion, if YM is in LYF's place, I don't think she will do great as LYF did as XLN. This is just an honest opinion.

LYF suits the role of XLN. But there is a very limited span of roles suitable for LYF. That's why she is over-rated as fans actually think that she is great.

Fan Bing Bing is also overrated. In terms of looks, she's alright. Defnitely not ugly but not stunning. Acting wise, she's only average, nothing special.

Linda Chung, err can't stand her. She's like a wooden doll with limits to her emotions/facial expressions.

Yang Mi as GX in ROCH06 is so overracted. She's pretty cute but her acting again is just average. Nothing spectacular. Comapred to Theresa Lee in ROCH95, she had the charisma and looks of intelligence.

I don't think Gigi Lai is overrated. She has such a unique rare beauty and her acting is great! Charmaine Sheh is overrated as well but I guess she's improved now compared to back in the day.

Underrated:
    Ady An - She's pretty and I love her acting. Ady was superb as the spunky, witty and hard hearted Yu Rue. Her performance was excellent in The Outsiders as well. She deserves to be recognized more with her abilities.

Here's my list

Overrated:
    LYF, FBB, ZYY

Underrated
    Li bing bing, shui ling, sun fei fei

Li Bingbing is slowly moving into the over-rated section IMO. She is not as bad as FBB yet but getting there.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Li Bingbing is slowly moving into the over-rated section IMO. She is not as bad as FBB yet but getting there.
    What makes you say this? Unlike FBB, I find LBB a very capable actress. After so many years in the industry, I'm glad that her talents are finally being recognized. Are you feeling this way because she's getting more popular?

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    What makes you say this? Unlike FBB, I find LBB a very capable actress. After so many years in the industry, I'm glad that her talents are finally being recognized. Are you feeling this way because she's getting more popular?
    Yes I feel LBB was massively under-rated for many years and she seriously deserved her break.

I think the sudden popularity is also due to her acceptance that female stars are meant to wear less and need for scandals. She lost her initial innocence. She has become just another top female star in China who will do anything to get to the top IMO, almost like the likes of FBB and ZZY.

Yes I feel LBB was massively under-rated for many years and she seriously deserved her break.

I think the sudden popularity is also due to her acceptance that female stars are meant to wear less and need for scandals. She lost her initial innocence. She has become just another top female star in China who will do anything to get to the top IMO, almost like the likes of FBB and ZZY.
    Interesting view on this indeed. Do you have any info regarding such changes or is this pretty much one of the domino effect as a result of her gaining all that popularity from TFK.

Quote Originally Posted by algaechu View Post
    I think people are more interested in XLN role than HR. XLN is the most favorite role for most people who love wuxia novels and series.
    Who are the "most people"?

LYF got the right role. XLN is cold, emotionless, but people like her a lot. I don't want LYF to be HR anymore. Not because she has no ability but she has got the better role already.
    Better roles such as? Was her character in TFK, or any of the characters she has played in anyway better or more challenging than HR?

LYF would not be in TV series anyway. She has soared to Hollywood already. I believe she will get the different roles in hollywood because there're not only wuxia movies in hollywood.
    Of course there arent only wuxia movies in hollywood but the sad truth is most Chinese or Asian actresses tend to get typecast in certain types of roles. And surprise surprise, most of these roles turn out to be butt-kicking type
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by drymonkey View Post
    Interesting view on this indeed. Do you have any info regarding such changes or is this pretty much one of the domino effect as a result of her gaining all that popularity from TFK.

Yes but I'm not going to dig out the reports I've stumbled upon on the internet on this matter. And I recall that this started before Forbidden Kingdom.

Yes but I'm not going to dig out the reports I've stumbled upon on the internet on this matter. And I recall that this started before Forbidden Kingdom.
    I think it was a rumor with LBB and Vic Zhou having a relationship... or was that for the movie "Linger"
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I think it was a rumor with LBB and Vic Zhou having a relationship... or was that for the movie "Linger"
    Whao I can't remember. But theres just such a sudden increase in news regarding her before her rise. Make me question her means.

overrated : Fan Bing Bing, and Charmaine Sheh. More but dont know their names.
    underrated: Florence Tan and more...
    Actors that I like: Felix Wong, Louis Koo, Aaron Kwok Chow Cher Meng, Jimmy Lin , Hawick Lau

All time favorite actresses: Noel Leung Siu Bing, Erica Choi,Fiona Leung, &Florence Tan

for a moment there i thought it was going to be another thread about lyf and her acting ability. i'm kinda sick of that.

anyway, overrated i would say alot of the tvb actress, gigi lai although i like i think is overrated compared to Jessica Hsuan(???) whom i think is a better actress then her.

and if Flora Chan ever comes back to filming i think she would be underatted too.

Charmaine Sheh is overrated, she excels at some roles but not at all of them, i still shiver at her turn in that csi film, forgot what its called.

Zhao Wei is overrated, the only film i ever liked her in was Princess Pearl, i tried hard to like her other films but it jut didn't work for me, don't know how she can be so popular when she barely improves over the years.

the twins were overrated, i gave up on hong kong cinema because of them.

Betty Huang and Dong Jie are underrated, both are great actresses and looks good but aren't as popular as they should be.

too many to think off...will stop here.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.