Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which actresses is overrated and underrated?

Default Which actresses is overrated and underrated?

There are some actresses who are over hyped and shouldn't get all the due that is giving to them. Unfortunately, there are those who are highly talented and get overlooked. So who do you guys think is overrated and underrated? (Yeah, grammar mistake on the title ...)

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dan~ View Post
    There are some actresses who are over hyped and shouldn't get all the due that is giving to them. Unfortunately, there are those who are highly talented and get overlooked. So who do you guys think is overrated and underrated? (Yeah, grammar mistake on the title ...)
    y don't u tell us..then we'll tell u

I think Sharon Chan is one of the actresses that is underrated. Her acting may not be the best but she's pretty good. She's someone who always improves from time to time. Usually, we'd see her taking weak innocent characters but after World Twisters Adventure and Devil's Disciple, she's proven herself that she's versatile. Not to mention she's very pretty too, one of the prettiest TVB actresses today IMP.

As for overrated, I'll probably say LYF. I mean, I like her. She's got the looks and her acting isn't half bad but everywhere I go, her name is always mentioned. No I have no problem with that but she's not at the point where her acting is flawless. She could need some work. People should start looking at other actresses who have potential and try hard instead of focussing so so much on others.

Overrated:
    - Gigi Lai
    - Charmaine Sheh

Underrated:
    - Florence Kwok
    - Louisa So
    - Fiona Yuen
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

a state in the eastern corner of peninsular Malaysia

overrated: ruby lin, liu yi fei
    both are pretty, but acting-wise, doesn't give much impression

underrated: betty huang yi
    for those who doesn't know her, here's an an enlightenment: she acted as 'xiao yan zi' in 'huan zhu ge ge3', replacing vicky zhao, in 'crouching tiger, hidden dragon the drama', in the 'wind and cloud', and in the 'last concubine' acting as the evil concubine (to name a few that i know), and also 'brothers' movie with andy lau. and she's very good in each of them (i've read good reviews about her, if not watched every series)... and she's one of the prettiest chinese actresses i've ever seen too...
    ~I'm A dReAmEr, NT yEt A dReAmAcHiEvEr~

For me LYF is my most overrated..Yeah, she's good looking, but not THAT good looking. I actually prefer a lot of other actresses (look wise) than LYF. She can't really act and I do not enjoy her singing (especially when she tries to sing in English ><) I don't personally hate her..but shes overhyped.

For underrated..it's a long list..

Underrated : Li Bing Bing

She needs more media hype.

What about Fan Bing Bing ? Anyone think she will break into Hollywood, or she just continues being a low end actress ?

DEGE999...hahaha...you repost fake news made by anti fans.??
    This translation has so many errors and even include the fake sentence not exist in original source.

AF admit already deleted that news from board because it's fake one.

but you repost the news after AF deleted the news from board. what's ur purpose? because you want to alive the news after deleted in credit forum?

================================================== ====

according to the translator said, this news from "sina"
    and this is original article
    http://ent.sina.com.cn/s/m/2008-07-17/16002104906.shtml
    http://ent.sina.com.cn/s/h/2008-07-18/11382105990.shtml

1st one is 17th news, and second one is 18th news. but this translator medged 2 news and added fake sentence which are not exist in original news. And even fake and wrong translate.

1. After signing with HY Brothers since 2006, Ruby Lin was given the boot when her demands to act in big films were rejected by HY Brothers.
    -> none of news mentioned this sentence. Not only sina's news but also other all news. this is just added by translator.

2. She expected them to give her the starring role in big movie films when she signed with them
    Original news : 本想借助華誼這個平台在內地的影視圈大展宏圖
    correct trans : originally wanted to use HY's platform to make a push in the china movie & TV industry
    no word she expected the role, she just want to platform

3. she was casted in only 3 small dramas, and one family movie
    Original news : 隻拍攝了三部電視劇和一部數字電影
    Correct trans : only did 3 TV series and a digital movie
    no word like small, and this is digital movie, not family movie

4. The Forbidden Kingdom acting alongside Jackie Chan, and Jet Li, the role Ruby wanted.
    -> None of news said ruby wanted this role, just said she just did camera test because company arranged her in test.

5. Even Zhou Xun was casted in the blockbuster movie Painted Skin alongside big name actors Donnie Yuen, Zhao Wei, Chen Kun and Sun Li. And recently, fellow actor Alec Su got a role in his first Hollywood movie.
    -> this part also made by translator. None of news mentioned her movie and alec's movie. you can't find any of their name in those article.

6. I have thought about leaving HY a long time ago and now both HY and I have come to a decision to end my contract.
    original news : 我現在和華誼兄弟是工作室的合作關系. 這件事過去幾個月我一直在籌劃中,最近獲得了華誼的認可
    correct trans : I've been planning this thing for several months now, and have obtained HY's approval recently
    ruby planned the her own work team and cooperate with HY as partner rather than contracted artist. And this is approval by HY

7. for example giving me the chance to act in The Legend & the Hero, but because of schedule conflict I had to turn down a lot of big movie roles.
    original news : 公司給我安排過一些機會,比如《功夫之王》也讓我去試過鏡,但是因為檔期或者劇本的問題,我和一些大戲擦肩 而過。
    correct trans : for instance they gave me the chance to screen test for "The Forbidden Kingdom," but because of problems with my schedule and the script
    The Legend & the Hero?? omg..this person even can't notice the different of <forbidding kingdom> and <The Legend & the Hero>??

8. She ended the interview by saying, "HY has been very good to me, but now we agree to mutually end our contract."
    original news : 華誼對我不錯,但我現在已經不是他們的簽約藝人了
    correct trans : Hua Yi treats my pretty good, but right now I'm not their contracted artiste anymore.
    this means they are changed the system of management. Ruby don't said they are ended. She will work w/ them with cooperation system.

9. getting her into 10 commericials in 30 days. However, none of the commericial contract was long-termed.
    original news : 曾創下30天拍攝10個廣告的紀錄
    correct trans : once setting a record of 10 advertisements within 30 days.
    ->none of the commericial contract part made by translator, original news doesn't have that sentence

10. She said that HY only used her to get money from her commericials
    original news : 華誼把林心如當成了一個賺錢工具
    correct trans : Hua Yi treated ruby like a tool to make money
    ->that was rumor made by media, not ruby's saying.

11. Earlier she claimed that HY is in the process of producing and writting a movie just to suit her
    ->this part isn't exist in original news. This is fake made by this translator. And the news HY is in processing the movie is made by HK media last year, but ruby already denied the news at that time.

================================================== ===

And according to this matter..both ruby and company already give answers (there is the clip to prove)

Their contract isn't ended though ruby will has her own work studio, it still will be under HY's control.
    Ruby, her manager, and even CEO of HY (Mr. Wang) interviews already.

If you want to spread news, how about find another one rather than this one which is so different translated from original article by anti-fan translator?

And just recently she announced her reason for leaving is because she is going to open her own production and that she and HY Brot will interact through her production, and not because they refused to give her movie roles over Zhou Xun and Li Bing Bing. That is really an unsuccessful excuse.
    yes, she will going to manage her own work stupid, but it will be also under HY's control. Even HY's people become ruby's official site moderators in a few days ago. According to the Mr Wang's interview, not only ruby, but HY's some other artists also under this management(work stupid) system. Ruby just changed the way under HY's approval. And this is already confirmed by HY bros too. there is no reason she need to make excuse. Ok..ok...Keep it up. I think you really have enough time to those things.
    Last edited by LOVERUBY; 07-22-08 at 12:34 AM.
    'One of these days is none of these days'
    ........................................Amicus usque ad aras

To LOVERUBY: Well said with excellent sources. Two thumps up!

To DEGE999: a tip for you before bashing any actor/actress - do your homework thorougly before posting, don't go to the trash can of another forum to pick up the garbage/fake news]! Posting a fake news like that make our lovely forum here is less quality and your opinion not convincing
    !
    One question for you DEGE999: is it you Deedee @ RLIF [now was banned from RLIF b/c of violating the copyright]? If not, I am so sorry to make this question!

To unknown author that making a faking news @ AF (was deleted from AF): hahaha the news, esp the author couldn' t distinguish "The Legend & Hero" series from "The Double Js"[The Forbidden Kingdom] movies, made me laugh to death
    Last edited by Ivy; 07-22-08 at 02:13 AM.

i would like to say that that particular piece of news was posted on AF's front page and unless you go back and search for it, you won't be able to know it was deleted.

let's give the benefit of the doubt here. a lot of people read "news" and don't know that it was sent to the trash. not a lot of people read chinese and spot the difference in translation either.

sorry for going off topic.

anyway, i think lbb is underrated too. i simply love her in "the forbidden kingdom". she was mesmerizing!

overrated? lyf comes to mind. i haven't watch anything of hers since DGSD...wait, i did watched part of chinese paladin but couldn't stand her acting.
    ---------
    Shellie

Quote Originally Posted by shellie View Post
    i would like to say that that particular piece of news was posted on AF's front page and unless you go back and search for it, you won't be able to know it was deleted.

let's give the benefit of the doubt here. a lot of people read "news" and don't know that it was sent to the trash. not a lot of people read chinese and spot the difference in translation either..
    above news reposted more than a half day after AF deleted the news. It wasn't exist on AF's front page nor Entertainment news board when he/she repost it. Is she/he saved the news when the news avaliable in forum, and repost them in here after it deleted credit site? and according to the DEGE999's comment, he/she probably know the Chinese.

Don't want to say more about this. Getting tired.
    'One of these days is none of these days'
    ........................................Amicus usque ad aras

Talking

I never thought LBB was pretty until I watched The Forbidden Kingdom , she stand out more than LYF's acting & character too.

Overrated: FBB, LYF (I know there will be fans coming and get me soon ), Linda Chung, Fala Chen, Charmaine

Underrated: Sharon Chan, Ady (maybe it's her making not-so-smart decisions about choosing her roles), Tavia Yeung, Leila Tong

That's all I could think of now

Quote Originally Posted by DEGE999 View Post
    Most OVER-RATED ACTRESS (not because I am an anti-fan): Fan Bing Bing, and Ruby Lin

Why Fan Bing Bing? Besides photoshoping her photos, I really don't understand what is so special about her acting skills. She stands out in a crowd but when you use the amount of makeup she does, and support bra then of course you will stand out. If you live in the U.S. and you ask people how they feel about her, their first answer is "fake" because here in America we know what photoshop is and we know when it is used.

The most underrated actress: Li Bing Bing & Shu Qi

Shu Qi is fierce, super talented and is a natural!
    heehhe, who is the people - african-American, Latino-American, caucasian-American, Asian-American? - in US you mentioned here? I has been living in US, but I has never seen any survey like you said! I don't think most of US people have any idea about Asian actresses, so where you get the answer "fake" above? Your own survey? What is percent? How big the sample did you get the answer "fake". Again, please use the trustful source to support your statement!

Shu Qi had some movies airing in US and in big movies, so I don't think she is underated as you said.

About photoshop: not only the people in America (did you mean the US?) know about photoshop, but also other countries - like china, vietnam, Europe know about photoshop. Don't underated other countries! & at least, PBB is so pretty without photoshop @ some events, not as some actresses look as garbage @ most of events but suddently look stunning in magazine covers ----> results of photoshop
    Last edited by Ivy; 07-22-08 at 09:40 AM.

Overrated:
    - LYF
    - Charmaine Sheh
    - Ruby Lin

Underrated:
    -YangMi
    -Ady An
    -ZhangTing
    -DongXuan
    Last edited by siryu; 07-22-08 at 03:20 AM.
    We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor live at anchor (Oliver Wendell Holmes)

overated
    China : ZZY, Vicki zhao, LYF
    Hongkong : Gigi lai
    Taiwan : Ariel lin, rainie yang
    Korea : Jang Na Ra

Underrated
    China : Dong Jie, Sun feifei
    Hongkong : Niki Chow
    Taiwan : Chen Qiao En
    Korea : Kim Ha Neul

Overrated: Fan Bing Bing, Li Bing Bing

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Overrated: Fan Bing Bing, Li Bing Bing
    nah FBB is pretty hot so she's not overrated

charmaine sheh TVB is the most overrated actress

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dan~ View Post
    LYF IS OVERRATED! Charmaine Sheh is a close second.

UNDERRATED:

Yang Mi, An Yi Xuan, & Jiang Xin
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    heehhe, who is the people - african-American, Latino-American, caucasian-American, Asian-American? - in US you mentioned here? I has been living in US, but I has never seen any survey like you said! I don't think most of US people have any idea about Asian actresses, so where you get the answer "fake" above? Your own survey? What is percent? How big the sample did you get the answer "fake". Again, please use the trustful source to support your statement!

Shu Qi had some movies airing in US and in big movies, so I don't think she is underated as you said.

About photoshop: not only the people in America (did you mean the US?) know about photoshop, but also other countries - like china, vietnam, Europe know about photoshop. Don't underated other countries! & at least, PBB is so pretty without photoshop @ some events, not as some actresses look as garbage @ most of events but suddently look stunning in magazine covers ----> results of photoshop

Maybe you have made a mistake when reading my post or maybe I have not been clear enough because it seems like I have upset you. What I meant was that people know when pictures are photoshop. And when I said "here in the US", what I meant is that the U.S. has been known to be more technologically advanced and so most people know when pictures are photoshops. I live in America so I cannot say the same for people who live in Asia or elsewhere. I apologize for being condescending towards others.

I did not say that she is ugly, what I meant is that she is pretty but to me her beauty is not natural because she depends too much on heavy makeup and photoshop. There is nothing wrong with dressing up well to look beautiful for events, that is not a crime. But there are celebrities who suit up enough for people to say, "Wow she's beautiful" or "She's a natural", and then there are celebrities who dress up well but you perceive this vibe like, "beautiful but pushing it". It depends on your own perception.

Of course I do not know everyone in the US, duh! Even the president doesn't know everyone. When we use the word "everyone" we intend to mean people who we converse regularly with or know. You think I would waste my time trying to start a survey about how "fake" FBB is? Please, there are plenty of polls in Asia criticizing FBB. Let me remind you that FBB was voted as one of the most untrustful and dislike celebrity in China. Maybe you should get the statistical analysis from that poll.

And don't you think it's a little too much when you said other celebrities look like "garbage" and then look beautiful in magazine? Too harsh and judgmental. Well what about FBB looking curvy, and a little out of shape in real life, and then suddenly looking STICK THIN in her magazine pictures? You actually think that it is her bikini body on those magazine covers? Please.
    Why don't you mention how she uses fake wigs, fake lashes to make her look beautiful to disguise her "garbage" look when she doesn't have these fake things on her?

My only criticism about your remark is please try to respect others opinions even if you don't agree with them. Don't try to disseminate their opinions and try to twist their words or exaggerate everything for you to attack them. Because when the other person does it back to you, you will probably look bad. No one has opinions for no good reason. Everyone can reason.

Quote Originally Posted by resident:alien View Post
    LYF IS OVERRATED! Charmaine Sheh is a close second.

UNDERRATED:

Yang Mi, An Yi Xuan, & Jiang Xin
    Yeah LYF is the most overrated.

I saw Yang Mi first in ROCH 06 and Jiang Xin in DGSD 03 both are very talented and should be stars. Ady is also very underrated..I think she just need the right roles because she always puts on a good performance.