Thread: Overrated & underrated actors???

Talking Overrated & underrated actors???

Hello spcnet members,

I hope I didn't start a topic that already exist, sorry if I do, please merge it or move it if necessary.

There's a thread about over & underrated actresses, so I want to create one for actors. Here are my lists

Overrated: Ron Ng & Raymond Lam, these duos are everywhere
    Nicholas Tse, he has the same expression in most of his movies/series
    HXM, he's tall & handsome but his acting in the DOMD annoyed me

Underrated: Derek Qwok, Sammuel Chan, Alec Su, Frankie Lam (he's a little bit boring but his earlier works was cool), Macro Ngai

more will be update later if I remember

anyone want to share their opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by TiffTiff View Post
    Hello spcnet members,

I hope I didn't start a topic that already exist, sorry if I do, please merge it or move it if necessary.

There's a thread about over & underrated actresses, so I want to create one for actors. Here are my lists

Overrated: Ron Ng & Raymond Lam, these duos are everywhere
    Nicholas Tse, he has the same expression in most of his movies/series
    HXM, he's tall & handsome but his acting in the DOMD annoyed me

Underrated: Derek Qwok, Sammuel Chan, Alec Su, Frankie Lam (he's a little bit boring but his earlier works was cool), Macro Ngai

more will be update later if I remember

anyone want to share their opinion?
    Overrated: I agree w/ ron and raymond and must add bosco wong. Yes, they all improved from since their beginning (actually, ron's improvement is questionable), but still, a bit all over the place. Moses chan (though I don't dislike him) is also quite promoted and in almost everything.

Underrated: I agree w/ Derek Kwok in the past, but lately, he is being more recognized, so hopefully he will get starring roles in the near future.

Want to say that Alec Su is not underrated imo. For the longest time he was overrated, yet his talent is questionable. His acting tended to be over exegerated. It's only after trying to concentrate on landing movie roles that we don't see him leading dramas.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Overrated : Edison Chen, Huang Xiao Ming, Raymond Lam

Underrated : Gordon Liu -- I mean, he used to be one of the Shaw brothers martial arts stars. Why is he only in cameo roles in TVB series nowadays?

Derek Kwok is also somewhat underused by TVB.

underrated : Chen Kun.

I like Raymond Lam though! But, oh well.

Overrated: I agree with Nicholas Tse and Ron Ng. I don't think Sammul Chan is that great an actor as well.

Underrated: Yan Kuan. He's an awesome actor, but he's just been getting villian roles. And while those exercise his acting skills, he's barely main lead or second lead.

That's a very good topic, cause i've recently thought about this question too.

Overrated:

Nicholas Tse: though his father may be one of the most respected actors in the past, Nicholas doesn't really convinc me in his acting. In Da ren wu he even annoys me to death...
    Dicky Cheung: In the past there are several series in which he was really good, nowadays he plays almost the same type of roles and not even convincing. well, perhaps i should not blame all to him, also the script writer and director should be blamed too for the lame storyplot and boring series.
    Takizawa Hideaki: He's handsome, no offends, but his acting doesn't convinc me yet. hope, he chose his roles carefully, so he can prove his acting skill.

Underated:

Deric Wan: Clearly one of the most versatile actors and talented artists, though one of the most underrated unfortunately. I really appreciate his work. Recently he appears again in the show business after a long break-up, so i hope he will get more respect and good roles, which i think he clearly deserves.
    Sunny Chan: He's such a good actor, like Deric, with long-during experiences. I like his acting very much.
    Ben Ng: Thanks to him, his co-actors and -actresses can shine more in their roles. He mostly plays the bad roles, but he can also pull out good roles equally well. Hope to see more of him.

So far, these are the underrated und overrated actors i can recall.
    Last edited by Sakura_no_Hana; 08-10-08 at 11:19 AM.

Overated :
    - Moses Chan . Why this guy appear in TOO MANY series ? I feel loathsome when see him with his poor and exeggarated acting appear in front of my eyes every night . And I heard that he is the main lead in the 80 episodes series named Gem of Life and this series airs after MR ? Means 120 episodes have Moses ? HELP MEEEEEEEEEE . So badly . He has to take a rest and the producers take a rest of him .
    - Kenneth Ma : He appeared in front of my eyes too much . He can't act liao~ . He should take an acting class before .
    - Bosco Wong : He acts ok but appear in too much series . I hate his countinously with Myolie , too .I get rid of Myolie as well .
    - Derek Kwok : 6 series of him in a year , give me a break.

Underated:
    - Wayne Lai : Awesome acting and nevermind seeing him more .

Quote Originally Posted by suziko View Post
    Overated :
    - Moses Chan . Why this guy appear in TOO MANY series ? I feel loathsome when see him with his poor and exeggarated acting appear in front of my eyes every night . And I heard that he is the main lead in the 80 episodes series named Gem of Life and this series airs after MR ? Means 120 episodes have Moses ? HELP MEEEEEEEEEE . So badly . He has to take a rest and the producers take a rest of him .
    - Kenneth Ma : He appeared in front of my eyes too much . He can't act liao~ . He should take an acting class before .
    - Bosco Wong : He acts ok but appear in too much series . I hate his countinously with Myolie , too .I get rid of Myolie as well .
    - Derek Kwok : 6 series of him in a year , give me a break.

Underated:
    - Wayne Lai : Awesome acting and nevermind seeing him more .

I am also sick of seeing you too in every forum blabbling abt the same old thing. Hide yourself too, jerk.

Hmm, I disagree with Ray being overrated - the guy has serious talent. Overexposed, yes.

Bosco is overrated... he has yet to live up to his potential as an actor.

Nic isn't overrated either, just overexposed - if you watch him in his earlier works (before all the screen baggage), he does have a lot of screen charisma and can definitely act.

Glad Derek Kwok is getting a lot of exposure. I agree Marco Ngai is underrated, but his recent press coverage doesn't seem to indicate that he's going to return to TVB anytime soon.

Underrated: Johnson Lo.
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

Oh, I also agree that Wayne Lai is seriously underrated. I'm glad he won an Astro Award (FINALLY) last year... here's hoping that with HOG2 he can finally win a frickin' TVB award!

Michael Tse was also underrated for awhile... but has been in the limelight a lot lately.

Moses Chan is OVERRATED. The guy seems so nice in real life, but his acting needs some serious improvement.

Sammul Chan was never that overexposed, so I don't think he's overrated.
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com