Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Forum Leaders

That's a really good interview, Spirit I enjoyed reading it. And yes, I shall learn to network too

Judge E, you're from HK? That's so cool!
    玉木宏

blog

Yeah me Hong Konger - that poor lost soul floating across different countries without an identity...
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Good job Ceddrey! And credits to Bella too!

Thanks SoH for a great interview. Can't believe you're in HK! That's my hometown and I visit often... I thought no spcie is living in HK.

I hope you're still around for some extra questions:
    - Why HK? Is that serendipity or is HK always a top choice for you? Do you speak Cantonese?
    - Managing consultant...What's your background? I've always thought you're doing law.
    - So is your passion your work? If you cna have a parallel life, what other career would you explore?
    - What aspects of HK do you like? Not like?
    I was actually trying to decide between New York and Hong Kong and I ended up settling for Hong Kong. I really enjoy the pace and lifestyle of all of these cities (including London and Tokyo). Canada has a nice lifestyle, but it doesn't match my aspirations. There aren't that many opportunities and people are very laid back in terms of their lifestyles. People sign up for a 9 to 5 job and they expect to do this for 10-20 years and climb that career ladder. I am young and impatient and I seek something much more exciting and fast paced.

I don't speak fluent Cantonese though people expect me to since they see an "Asian" face. Though some of them seem to think I look "foreign". I used to try to speak some Cantonese, though people would always make fun of my accent so I just don't bother anymore.

---

Initially I wanted to do law as a career, I took some law/jurisprudence/politics courses in undergrad. Though I think my interests shifted. I have a very specific personality and I have a very strong sense of conviction. I like to debate and play devil's advocate. Though I just didn't want to spend another 4 years in school. Like I said before, there were many forks in the road and I decided that I'd rather get an MBA down the line (though I could entertain the possibility of an MBA/JD degree). I consider myself a leader and a creative person. I want to be an entrepreneur and an executive.

----

I consider myself more driven than people my age. I have always been more mature than others from my age group.

I like the strategy side. I guess the only other possibility would probably be investment banking. (Though looking at the markets right now, glad I didn't move there ) So I think my earlier note that I'd love to be in private equity or in some ambitious tech startup still stands.

---

Life in Hong Kong or any fast paced city is quite interesting. On one hand you have many many people all crammed in a small city. If you want to meet interesting people, it is just a matter of going out and talking to someone. However, people also have a different mentality here. Some people lack common courtesy and they are just not very friendly. I guess everyone is rushing off to do something. People don't hold the door for others and they push and shove. Even though it is a very crowded city, you can often find yourself feeling lonely.

I must say though, Hong Kong is quite a dichotomous city. You get many different aspects of city life in such a small landscape. It's quite easy seeing the richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor within a walking distance. At the same time, you can go to a remote far off area in the mountains and experience the rain forest climate.

Coming from Canada, I do miss the snow and the cold. It is simply too hot here. Snow also has a certain romantic feel to it. When I think of snow, I think about sitting in an office at night looking down and seeing the falling snow though the yellow street lights. You stare at this scene through a slightly foggy window with a warm cup of coffee in your hands.

You guys should also interview Junny She used to be a moddie..
    "The gentlemen first practices what he preaches and then preaches what he practices." - Confucius

SoH, your description of Canadians is dead-on. Such a laid-back attitude. Compared to the harsh workhorse east coast...

Yes you are pretty highly driven for your age (I presume you're still under 30). I do believe cut-throat Hong Kong is for you. Coming from there, I used to walk so fast that my North American friends can't keep up. lol

For sure we'll catch junny. If not in round 2 of spcnet members then here.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Nods, that sounds like me in Hong Kong. I actually even outdo some of the people here when it comes to walking. I hate three categories of people: kids, couples, and old people.

They all walk too slowly and hog up the road. I hate people that spontaneously stop randomly too. Or the person that decides they are gonna turn around randomly.

So Miss Expression, where are you currently living? :P
    "The gentlemen first practices what he preaches and then preaches what he practices." - Confucius

Yes, HKers are generally street-smart but not nice-nice.

Heck even the cashiers in supermarkets are quicker there. Here, you give the 25-yr cashier $10.21 for $9.21 and s/he will stare at you. While in HK, the 45-yr Si-Nai cashier will roll her eyes and say, "Don't you have change? And that coupon is for yesterday." before you can process anything in your head.

They all walk too slowly and hog up the road. I hate people that spontaneously stop randomly too. Or the person that decides they are gonna turn around randomly.
    Lol. So true. Try cutting through the swarm of tropical fish all going in one direction during rush hour in the Kowloon Tong MTR station.

So Miss Expression, where are you currently living? :P
    East coast, US. I can visit our dear Spcnet within the day.

I like Hong Kong too, just not the air quality Shopping there is just amazing, even for a non-shopper like me.

Catch me? I shall hide! And Spirit, you're not supposed to sabotage me
    玉木宏

blog

Spirit, have you met any popular celebrities while you are in HK?

Yeah me Hong Konger - that poor lost soul floating across different countries without an identity...
    I think you'd be surprised to hear that I'm a Hong Konger too. It's a small world.

Yeah everything happens and changes so quickly there. edit: That's what make HK tick.
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 09-20-08 at 03:30 AM.
    Have you learned to love one another?

OH YAY!! Who would have thought? We should probably start a thread on good o' HK!

Bubble Mui, what a pleasant surprise! Maybe we can meet and EAT when I visit HK next time! Are you a HK Island or Kowloon person?

HK is shopping paradise! Compared to the same brands/shops over and over again here. That's why I don't shop here but save the money on shopping sprees in HK!

Spirit, have you met any popular celebrities while you are in HK?
    Yeah, it's easy to bump into one in small HK. I've seen Chow Yun Fat and Eddie Kwan long time ago, and at a distance, Esther Kwan, Ada Choi, Cecilia Cheung, probably some others I don't remember... My sister saw hot hot Louis Koo!! He asked her where he can buy newspaper... The next hot city for star-watching is Vancouver I think. Hehe... so Bat-Gua! I feel infected once again by HK's polluted air.

Woohoo, a fellow Torontonian!

Just a question, Spirit - were you born in Canada or you grew up there? I have many friends, who, like you, probably grew up in Canada but decided to move to HK for more opportunities and a more fast-paced lifestyle.
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

I knew quite a number of people who are born in Hong Kong, immigrated to Canada or Australia for HS and college, then "back-flowed" to HK to work.

People with a foreign passport and degree do tend to have an advantage in many things in HK. Such is reality.

OH YAY!! Who would have thought? We should probably start a thread on good o' HK!

Bubble Mui, what a pleasant surprise! Maybe we can meet and EAT when I visit HK next time! Are you a HK Island or Kowloon person?

Bubble is more a Kowloon person.

Yeah, it's easy to bump into one in small HK. I've seen Chow Yun Fat and Eddie Kwan long time ago, and at a distance, Esther Kwan, Ada Choi, Cecilia Cheung, probably some others I don't remember... My sister saw hot hot Louis Koo!! He asked her where he can buy newspaper...
    Wow!

HK is so small you'd even bump into them in the same elevator.

I saw Maggie Siu and Wong Hei filming for one of their series. I saw Joey Yung promoting some cosmetic products. Saw Grace Yip and Sunny Chan. I can't remember the other's. A friend I know bumped into Stephen Chow and Kelly Chan on separate occasions.

The next hot city for star-watching is Vancouver I think. Hehe... so Bat-Gua! I feel infected once again by HK's polluted air.
    I actually find HK's air quality bearable but I prefer England better except for its continuous overcast.
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 09-21-08 at 04:18 AM.
    Have you learned to love one another?

SOH,

You said you moved to HK without a network or a job. Was it hard to find a job since you don't speak fluent Cantonese?

Anyway, I think you're very brave. I wish I had your courage to make life-changing decisions like that. It's always been a dream of mine to do that but I'm too chicken. Heck, there's a job opportunity across the country and I'm still hesitating. How do you do it?!

Yeah, it's easy to bump into one in small HK. I've seen Chow Yun Fat and Eddie Kwan long time ago, and at a distance, Esther Kwan, Ada Choi, Cecilia Cheung, probably some others I don't remember... My sister saw hot hot Louis Koo!! He asked her where he can buy newspaper... The next hot city for star-watching is Vancouver I think. Hehe... so Bat-Gua! I feel infected once again by HK's polluted air.

I'm so jealous of your sister! If I met him, I think I would faint! (into his arms of course )
    "What is meant to be will always be."

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblegum View Post

Bubble is more a Kowloon person.
    Same here, I'm a nine dragon girl too!. Love Nathan Road and Mongkok (daytime)!

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Anyway, I think you're very brave. I wish I had your courage to make life-changing decisions like that. It's always been a dream of mine to do that but I'm too chicken. Heck, there's a job opportunity across the country and I'm still hesitating. How do you do it?!

I'm so jealous of your sister! If I met him, I think I would faint! (into his arms of course )
    Oh~ So is Boo a girl? But yeah! My sister was quite overwhelmed... She said he really is as gorgeous in person, and actually very polite too!

I did half-switch career recently myself, and followed the new job across the country: West => East, BUT, I do have family there, so it's probably not as bad.

I was born in Canada. I like to consider myself a Westerner with an Asian heritage.

Many instances where there are celebrities holding events on the streets or you meet a celebrity, but (I'll sound like an outdated old man now..) I don't even know who the celebrity is.

I just see commotion and people all crowding around someone with their cellphone cameras. I see some girls running around and trying to jump into the action. Sometimes I don't even get close to the action and it seems like it is all gone. Though think bumped into some celebrities in Causeway Bay before. They usually are really pale with sunglasses and an assistant holding their shit.

There was this one instance when I was in Central the other day and there were phototogs stationed around some corner. Then this really pale celebrity stood there for a few photos and left. I snapped a photo, but I STILL don't even know who she is hahaha XD

As for jobs, it depends on the industry you want to get into. Cantonese is a certain plus, but it isn't necessary for some of the industries. I think you just gotta weigh your options. If you don't take risks, then you don't get the rewards. No guts, no glory. You regret more things you don't do in life. What have you got to lose?

Oh~ So is Boo a girl? But yeah! My sister was quite overwhelmed... She said he really is as gorgeous in person, and actually very polite too!

I did half-switch career recently myself, and followed the new job across the country: West => East, BUT, I do have family there, so it's probably not as bad.
    You're not helping with my Louis Koo obsession

It's not really a career switch, just a temporary/seasonal position for a few months. (yes, it's sad I'm still contemplating) I just can't get over leaving my family and friends

P.S. You thought I was a guy?
    "What is meant to be will always be."

Yeah, I understand. I like to stay with family too. If I didn't have anyone there I wouldn't have moved for the job. But I think it also depends on the gender. Girls have to worry more about safety... guys are advantaged in that regard. At least they don't have to worry about finding his way home at night in a foreign city, or meeting with strangers in an unknown place...

Lol sorry somehow BOO without an avatar sounds male to me.

So Spirit, HK is famous for food. What kind of food and restaurants do you enjoy there?

Girls have a much easier time networking though. I met this French investment banker the other time, she didn't know a single person when she just arrived. Within the span of 2 weeks, she already had a huge network. Though personality is also an important factor.

Hey guys,

Sept. 20th was my anniversary for joining SPCNET forums. Dang, it's been 7 wholesome years! I can't believe it's been 7 years and I'm still here. I can still vaguely remember how my life was when I first joined the forum. A lot of things has changed and I have changed too.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Happy anniversary Suet!

WOW! 7 years?! That's a long long time. Thanks for your contributions to spcnet over the years. Modding is indeed hard work.

I hope you don't feel any "Seven Years' Itching"?