Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Forum Leaders

Dear o' Pembie, always so level-headed.

It's not that bad. Although it's true that we never did resurge to its prime, Spcnet is still one of the few forums that provides higher quality threads and discussions, even better causal chatting (aka spamming).

Anyway, thank you very much bella, it's a lot of work for ya.
    it is a project that I will hopefully convince Ceddie to do, since I won't be here much longer.
    I hope you're not leaving spcnet?
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Let's give Bella a big , for setting up this thread, contacting the moddies and making the interviews of Moddies all successful, so we have now got to know our moddies better. My assistance rendered was minimum, most are taken care by Bel hence she deserves the credit. Looking forward to interview from Ken and SC.

I really enjoy reading the interviews from the moddies thus far. Now, we have finally uncovered the naughty secrets of Orange-Pemb.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    I keep hearing the old-timers say, the reason that they left the forum is because the quality of the forum has declined.
    As an "old-timer" myself, I have to object to this. First, it's unfair to the newer members...implying that they're somehow inferior in some way. Second, the quality of discussion at these forums is dependent on what members bring into it. People who complain that there's "no quality discussion" here should start some rather than wait for someone else to do it. What you get out of SPCNET is what you put into it.

There's no doubt that the recent infestation of Canadian imperialists have also significantly contributed to the decline in quality of the forum.
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

Yes. As a matter of fact, I’d this same thought today while driving in a middle of no where. There are just so many interesting regulars here that I'm sure people would love to know a little bit more about. However, it is a project that I will hopefully convince Ceddie to do, since I won't be here much longer.

We would love to hear from you, Boo.
    How come you're leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by levendis d'orange View Post
    There's no doubt that the recent infestation of Canadian imperialists have also significantly contributed to the decline in quality of the forum.
    Hey, TC does not represent all of us.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    As an "old-timer" myself, I have to object to this. First, it's unfair to the newer members...implying that they're somehow inferior in some way. Second, the quality of discussion at these forums is dependent on what members bring into it. People who complain that there's "no quality discussion" here should start some rather than wait for someone else to do it. What you get out of SPCNET is what you put into it.
    Wow, Mod Ken is Mod Ken, after all.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I think I'm in love ...with your response, not you Ken Cheng.

So beautifully put. I was beginning to get the impression that the "old-timers" were taking on this 'holier-than-thou' attitude, and I really wasn't in the position to ubiasedly write something like,

"...implying that they're somehow inferior in some way"

as I still consider myself somewhat a 'newbie'.

I certainly try and create meaningful discussion (essay length ones infact), and respond to as many other posts as I can. Admittedly, I feel I'm sometimes talking to myself (without double posting that is). At least I know I'm trying and not complaining that "the quality of the forum has declined".

Quote Originally Posted by levendis d'orange
    I'm trying really, really hard to see the funny side of your comments, as everyone else and Mods seem to find them funny. I love my sarcastic humour too, but that sort of comment is uncalled for.

I'm not Canadian, but if I was, no matter what the intention of that comment (I like to believe it was good and humourous to give the benefit of the doubt), I would be offended. I respect people's right of expression, but I also believe one needs to take responsibility for their words.

It doesn't help that you continued with "the decline in quality of forum", when Ken Cheng so specifically pointed out how inappropriate that was.

I don't care if you are/were a Mod, because comments that offend me obviously have the potential to offend someone else. And it takes a lot to offend me. That's how serious it is.

Sorry to bring a gloom cloud to this thread, but I believe mature and fair minded posters are contributing, so I expect everyone would understand.

Most people love sacastic humour, intellectual talks, quantitiy(sp? - highlighted in red by MS Word) vs quantity vs quanlity, plain humour and all that brainy stuff (to impress........grace the lovely masses). But when will people ever forgo that foolishness called Ego, and forget all about this beautiful thing called Tact! (Not referring to Tick Tact)

Mind you! Would you love to step on people's feet and expect people to return a smile with a "thank you"? *shakes head*
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

To be fair, Orange garnered all those praise from his past cumulative conquests. That canadian thing feeds on forum history too. You just gain all these unfair advantages as an oldie.

As for his interview, I do honestly admit I was expecting higher humor and insight, especially from whom I used to know. But all things aside, being a fellow oldie I was just glad to hear from him, alive and well.

So NuDaFu, should you decide to stick around long enough, one day you'll be having those laughs that send all unfortunate newbies puzzled and annoyed. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    As for his interview, I do honestly admit I was expecting higher humor and insight
    That's because I'm no longer trying desperately to hit on you.

I've became ........................ domesticated.
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

Aw Levi, you're still the molar-rottening orange I know.
    Now be a real gent and treat Lady Orange like a lady okay?

Smile

8. Are you a resident physician or a licensed physician? How is your practice going?

Anaesthetics trainee (Anesthesiologist for you yanks)
    A resident physician is a licensed physician with a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree, at least in the United States. However, many resident physicians and young attending physicians often have their patients ask them, "Are you a real doctor?" Or worse, "old school" male physicians will assume you're the nurse if you're female and will often ignore you and talk directly to the oldest member on your medical team (who sometimes happens to be the grandfatherly-looking respiratory therapist) while you are left standing alone in the background trying to eavesdrop on the conversation about what is going on with the patient you are assuming care for.

Han Solo, if you are an anaesthetics trainee, does that mean you are the equivalent of the United States' version of an anesthesiology resident? How does the Australian medical physician training program work? Do you go directly from high school to medical school and then residency?

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    A resident physician is a licensed physician with a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree, at least in the United States.
    Yes, you're correct. However, to my knowledge, the difference between a resident and a licensed physician is that the former has to work under the supervision of a fully licensed physician. It’s like on the job training. I double checked the definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residency_(medicine)

Ken, I was informed that you never received the list of questionnaires that I had sent. That's weird. I PMed you twice in regards to the interview and didn't receive any response, so I thought maybe you didn't want to participate. Anyhoo, I will resend the questions to you again. Please let me know if you still haven’t received the PM.
    Last edited by bellamia; 08-19-08 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    A resident physician is a licensed physician with a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree, at least in the United States. However, many resident physicians and young attending physicians often have their patients ask them, "Are you a real doctor?" Or worse, "old school" male physicians will assume you're the nurse if you're female and will often ignore you and talk directly to the oldest member on your medical team (who sometimes happens to be the grandfatherly-looking respiratory therapist) while you are left standing alone in the background trying to eavesdrop on the conversation about what is going on with the patient you are assuming care for.

Han Solo, if you are an anaesthetics trainee, does that mean you are the equivalent of the United States' version of an anesthesiology resident? How does the Australian medical physician training program work? Do you go directly from high school to medical school and then residency?
    I'm an anaesthetics registrar which is the equivalent to an anesthesiology resident in the states. It is a 5 years training programme under the ANZCA.

I entered med school as an undergraduate i.e. after high school. My med school was 6 years in total of which the first 2.5 was in basic sciences equivalent to a pre-med course, 1 year of research, and 2.5 year of clinical teaching in a hospital setting.

Post med school, i did a year of internship, and 2 years of residency prior to starting my registrar training. Unlike USA, anaesthesia training in this country tends to begin the 3rd or usually 4th year post graduation from the med. school.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Han, extra! Extra!

Extra Q: What is significant about your username and avatar?
    (i.e. What's with that sexy feminine avatar of yours?) - Indirect translation of your horoscope sign, I'm guessing?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Han, extra! Extra!

Extra Q: What is significant about your username and avatar?
    (i.e. What's with that sexy feminine avatar of yours?) - Indirect translation of your horoscope sign, I'm guessing?
    1) Username of Han Solo came from the Star Wars trilogy.

When i first started to visit the old wuxia forum, the first part of the new Star Wars was making the round in the cinema, and i was using the handles of anakin, luke, han solo etc. Eventually settled and use the handle of Han Solo (who is the only interesting male character in the series apart from obi-wan. Luke Skywalker was this boring boring person).

Even used it in other settings including online gaming where invariably i get noob 12 years olds talking bout chewable and millenium falcon.

2) The avatar is Death.
    The second oldest of the endless.
    She's just plain beautiful, isn't she?
    I had used different versions of Death as an avatar over the years.

Anyway, she's a character from the graphic novel Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. Sandman, imho, was the greatest graphic novel ever.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_(DC_Comics)

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Damn, I just learned that my computer has like 169 viruses, and they are slowing eating my computer alive! Until I receive a new computer, I'm forbid to access the internet. But knowing that everyone is waiting to hear from Ken, I just had to snick in here to post his interview. Thanks Ken!

Default Interview with Ken Cheng

1. Where do you live (state, country, etc.)?

I’ve never been too far from Southern California. I’m currently living in Diamond Bar.

2. Besides moderating spcnet, what else do you do in your pastime?

There’s so much. I’m the Man of a Thousand Hobbies. Everybody knows (or I hope they do) that I’m editing and gradually uploading a GUNDAM fanfic that I wrote back during the 1990s. I’ve been an avid L.A. Lakers fan since Magic Johnson was a rookie. Classic rock music (especially the Beatles and other British Invasion bands of the 1960s) is a longtime obsession of mine. My wuxia fandom is also infamous, as is my interest in old-school anime and American superhero comics and sci-fi. There’s so much to discuss. My hobbies would fill a book.

3. What is your motto as a moderator?

I don’t do mottoes.

4. Name five characteristics about you.

I don’t know. Having a set of characteristics means being consistent enough to nail it down to five or six items. I don’t see myself as being that consistent. Just when you think you know me, WHAM, I go in a totally different direction.

5. How do you feel about your role as an educator? And how do you inspire your students?

I like my work. It’s much more enjoyable than an office routine. I befriend my students before I ever teach them anything. Education is more effective if the teacher and the student don’t start off as antagonists. That’s unfortunately usually the case (not for me, but for most other teachers), and they end up struggling with the students rather than teaching them. It wasn’t that long ago that I was a student myself, so I can empathize with the students’ point of view.

6. If you could go back in time to meet any one person who ever lived, who would it be and why?

Probably John Lennon, to trade musical ideas with him. The man had very similar musical tastes and sensibilities to my own, and I think I’d be fascinated having a discussion about music with him…or to jam with him.

7.If you could find a way to go back in time and change the past, would you? If so, what would you change and why?

I’d do it in a second, but the reasons are far too lengthy and personal to go into here, so I’ll just say…”Yes, I would. Easily.” J

8. What are some moments in your life that you would consider to be character defining?

When I first watched ROCH ’83 and started hating Yeung Gor.

In all seriousness, that did set off a long and complicated chain of events that led me to where I am today, so when I say that I hate Yeung Gor on the Wuxia Forum, believe me…it’s more than a joke. It really is personal, as silly as that sounds.

9. Your alter ego (Chairman Mao) is on a spamming frenzy lately. Do you think this had damaged your credibility as a Super Moderator?

No. As a matter of fact, I think I’ve got *more* cred now because I’m no longer seen as this guy with no sense of humor who just bans people at the slightest whiff of breaking the rules. It’s helped to decrease the distance between the Supermod and the regular members. That’s a good thing.

10. Elvis or The Beatles? Why?

Elvis was great and I loved his music too, but it’s got to be the Beatles. They are my all-time favorite rock band and were just as influential on my youth as Yeung Gor, but in a positive rather than negative way.

11. Do you have any favorite spcnet member(s)? Please elaborate on why he/she is your favorite.

Oh, come on: I can’t answer that. It’d make all the other members jealous.

12. How are things different now than when you first joined the forum?

Not so much, really. The technology of V-Bulletin has been upgraded since, and the cast of regulars has changed several times over, but it’s the same goofy fun it always was.

There are more commercial SPAMmers these days, however. I don’t think there was so much commercial SPAM in the early days.
    Last edited by bellamia; 08-20-08 at 01:19 PM.

4. Name five characteristics about you.

I don’t know. Having a set of characteristics means being consistent enough to nail it down to five or six items. I don’t see myself as being that consistent. Just when you think you know me, WHAM, I go in a totally different direction.

11. Do you have any favorite spcnet member(s)? Please elaborate on why he/she is your favorite.

Oh, come on: I can’t answer that. It’d make all the other members jealous.
    Somehow, these answers comes across like a cop-out answer.

I'd like to banish Ken's alter-ego or take him down to the torture chamber for spamming and hang him out to dry in the sun for 3 days. Why? A mod who spams= promoting spamming behavior, thus it goes against the purpose of mod-ism.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 08-20-08 at 01:32 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.