Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Forum Leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    As an "old-timer" myself, I have to object to this. First, it's unfair to the newer members...implying that they're somehow inferior in some way. Second, the quality of discussion at these forums is dependent on what members bring into it. People who complain that there's "no quality discussion" here should start some rather than wait for someone else to do it. What you get out of SPCNET is what you put into it.
    That is true, but it also depends on whether people reply to your topic with the type of responses you want. Sometimes people will put out a serious question, and then you get "cute" responses like "Why not? Meow." Sure, it's cute, but then you're just going...okk, and then the topic totally gets hijacked.

I don't really know if spamming has gone down a bit with the new profile viewing and wall thing. I think it has ...to an extent. There used to be so many threads where it was pure 2-3 people having personal convo.

I mean, it's nice to have interactions, but it's better if people can also have something else in their post besides one-liners to another member. At least that keeps the general topic going and not off-track.

If they see something that someone posted they really find interesting and want to reply, they can always to go that person's wall and post there, instead of where they found it first.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    click to show/hide spoilers

1. Where do you live (state, country, etc.)?

I’ve never been too far from Southern California. I’m currently living in Diamond Bar.

2. Besides moderating spcnet, what else do you do in your pastime?

There’s so much. I’m the Man of a Thousand Hobbies. Everybody knows (or I hope they do) that I’m editing and gradually uploading a GUNDAM fanfic that I wrote back during the 1990s. I’ve been an avid L.A. Lakers fan since Magic Johnson was a rookie. Classic rock music (especially the Beatles and other British Invasion bands of the 1960s) is a longtime obsession of mine. My wuxia fandom is also infamous, as is my interest in old-school anime and American superhero comics and sci-fi. There’s so much to discuss. My hobbies would fill a book.

3. What is your motto as a moderator?

I don’t do mottoes.

4. Name five characteristics about you.

I don’t know. Having a set of characteristics means being consistent enough to nail it down to five or six items. I don’t see myself as being that consistent. Just when you think you know me, WHAM, I go in a totally different direction.

5. How do you feel about your role as an educator? And how do you inspire your students?

I like my work. It’s much more enjoyable than an office routine. I befriend my students before I ever teach them anything. Education is more effective if the teacher and the student don’t start off as antagonists. That’s unfortunately usually the case (not for me, but for most other teachers), and they end up struggling with the students rather than teaching them. It wasn’t that long ago that I was a student myself, so I can empathize with the students’ point of view.

6. If you could go back in time to meet any one person who ever lived, who would it be and why?

Probably John Lennon, to trade musical ideas with him. The man had very similar musical tastes and sensibilities to my own, and I think I’d be fascinated having a discussion about music with him…or to jam with him.

7.If you could find a way to go back in time and change the past, would you? If so, what would you change and why?

I’d do it in a second, but the reasons are far too lengthy and personal to go into here, so I’ll just say…”Yes, I would. Easily.” J

8. What are some moments in your life that you would consider to be character defining?

When I first watched ROCH ’83 and started hating Yeung Gor.

In all seriousness, that did set off a long and complicated chain of events that led me to where I am today, so when I say that I hate Yeung Gor on the Wuxia Forum, believe me…it’s more than a joke. It really is personal, as silly as that sounds.

9. Your alter ego (Chairman Mao) is on a spamming frenzy lately. Do you think this had damaged your credibility as a Super Moderator?

No. As a matter of fact, I think I’ve got *more* cred now because I’m no longer seen as this guy with no sense of humor who just bans people at the slightest whiff of breaking the rules. It’s helped to decrease the distance between the Supermod and the regular members. That’s a good thing.

10. Elvis or The Beatles? Why?

Elvis was great and I loved his music too, but it’s got to be the Beatles. They are my all-time favorite rock band and were just as influential on my youth as Yeung Gor, but in a positive rather than negative way.

11. Do you have any favorite spcnet member(s)? Please elaborate on why he/she is your favorite.

Oh, come on: I can’t answer that. It’d make all the other members jealous.

12. How are things different now than when you first joined the forum?

Not so much, really. The technology of V-Bulletin has been upgraded since, and the cast of regulars has changed several times over, but it’s the same goofy fun it always was.

There are more commercial SPAMmers these days, however. I don’t think there was so much commercial SPAM in the early days.
    Thank you, Bellia, for Ken's interview. I'm guessing his favourite SPCNETer is Candide

Come back soon, Bellia.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Thank you, Bellia, for Ken's interview. I'm guessing his favourite SPCNETer is Candide
    On the contrary, I think it's Ken
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Ummmm, Sensei, I think you're right. it makes sense.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Does anyone want to guess who is my #1 favorite SPCNET member of all time?

I love many SPCNETers, but one stands out.

p.s. it's not PJ

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

p.s. it's not PJ
    It's probably some ELOM (Extremely Lovable Overlooked Member).

p.s. it's not PJ
    Our dear TC?

Reason being: You found him too amusingly lovable when each time he replies with a dumb and dumber post for a sacredly intelligent topic. And, he is the one and only (Oh no!!) that got you caught between the love and hate (for him) contradictory?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-21-08 at 05:20 AM.

Most people love sacastic humour, intellectual talks, quantitiy(sp? - highlighted in red by MS Word) vs quantity vs quanlity, plain humour and all that brainy stuff (to impress........grace the lovely masses). But when will people ever forgo that foolishness called Ego, and forget all about this beautiful thing called Tact! (Not referring to Tick Tact)

Mind you! Would you love to step on people's feet and expect people to return a smile with a "thank you"? *shakes head*
    I must be on a 'brain-dead' day, because I can't get much sense from your post remember_Cedric. Are you referring to me or Orange's post?

I don't really think "brainy stuff" is used to "impress...the lovely masses". At least I don't use my input to do that. Meaningful discussion is what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by expression
    That canadian thing feeds on forum history too. You just gain all these unfair advantages as an oldie.
    That's not really an excuse to be offensive. I was truly shocked (A) the comment, (B) its still seen as funny, (C) everyone is turning a bit of a blind eye to it. I even posed the comment to my receptionist (just in case it was me who truly couldn't appreciate the 'humour' in it) and to a fellow therapist...I think they found it strange that I even posted on this forum.

And if anyone is annoyed for me bringing up this topic again, I'm just amazed nobody sees the problem with it. If I was a moderator, I would uh...do something.

p.s. it's not PJ
    Guessing? Of course it is faithful ARTist Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    That's not really an excuse to be offensive. I was truly shocked (A) the comment, (B) its still seen as funny, (C) everyone is turning a bit of a blind eye to it. I even posed the comment to my receptionist (just in case it was me who truly couldn't appreciate the 'humour' in it) and to a fellow therapist...I think they found it strange that I even posted on this forum.

And if anyone is annoyed for me bringing up this topic again, I'm just amazed nobody sees the problem with it. If I was a moderator, I would uh...do something.
    NuDaFu, the history refers to unique member(s) who sometimes produce posts that make many members shake their heads. Happen to come from Canada. Orange's comment is not funny per se; it just speaks to the heart of many who know what he is talking about.

To truly enjoy a forum, sometimes one needs to sit back and let things sink in.

Expression
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Our dear TC?

Reason being: You found him too amusingly lovable when each time he replies with a dumb and dumber post for a sacredly intelligent topic. And, he is the one and only (Oh no!!) that got you caught between the love and hate (for him) contradictory?
    Trien Chieu would be as far from my favorite as one could get.
    There is no love what-so-ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    It's probably some ELOM (Extremely Lovable Overlooked Member).
    More like ELM: Extremely Lovable Member

Trien Chieu would be as far from my favorite as one could get.
    There is no love what-so-ever.
    Because I'm concerned of your personal health, I hope you are not in denial.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Because I'm concerned of your personal health, I hope you are not in denial.
    Do you see any -love- here?

I thought it was common fact that PJ's favourite member is me.

Can we get an interview with SPCNET? Several years here, I still have no idea what SPCNET is like.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I thought it was common fact that PJ's favourite member is me.
    Aww, yes yittzie bear, me gonna luv u long time. *smooches*

However, there is someone else; he is simply a wonderful and fulfilling person, and a good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    I must be on a 'brain-dead' day, because I can't get much sense from your post remember_Cedric. Are you referring to me or Orange's post?

I don't really think "brainy stuff" is used to "impress...the lovely masses". At least I don't use my input to do that. Meaningful discussion is what I'm looking for.
    I must be on a 'blind-eyed' day. Since you have the capability to see what others cannot see (third eye?), perhaps you can see if there's a reflection of a -you- in my post? If you see it, then you're there!

Cheerio!

Aww, yes yittzie bear, me gonna luv u long time. *smooches*

However, there is someone else; he is simply a wonderful and fulfilling person, and a good friend.
    Aha! A -he-...... I was thinking of someone else...... anyway, it's gotta be Ced-Ced.

click to show/hide spoilers
    CC refers to the real CC, not me.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-21-08 at 09:47 PM.

Lol Thread successfully turned into Interview with PJ.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Lol Thread successfully turned into Interview with PJ.
    But I'm not a forum leader

You are leader of Quality Entropic Posting, a even more enviable position.

But seriously, it'll be cool to interview some spcies. Ceddrey?

...come to think of it, the term forum leaders is not necessarily restricted to MODs and the administrator. It can also be prominent members.
    Last edited by expression; 08-21-08 at 01:07 PM.

I would like to see the interviewing of some ELOMs -- Members with only 1 post, or even no posts! Let's learn about their perception of SPCNET. Yeah!!

Okay, I'm taking the daunting task upon myself (unless Ceddrey or someone else really wants to do it).

=> Please see new thread.
    Last edited by expression; 08-21-08 at 01:40 PM.