Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which one would HYS chose

If all of them went through the music, martial arts and memorization test, then Linghu Chong would win hands down.

He can play the Smiling Proud Wanderer song to perfection, such a rare song would surely impress HYS.

Martial arts wise, he might lose but he will still put up an impressive showing with his DG9J that looks more impressive the stronger his opponent is. People tend to say that Ren Wo Xing is at least as strong as a LOCH Great, and HYS was looking for a son-in-law precisely in that time period. Well at the end of SPW right before he got married, LHC would be very close in skill to Ren Wo Xing, so HYS would surely approve of his martial arts even if he loses to the likes to Xu Zhu.

And his memory would be the best among all of the contestants. Heck, he can memorize nearly all of the D9GJ in 1 recitation with only a few errors.

And of course, Linghu Chong being an anticoformist yet still chivalrous would be highly appreciated by HYS.

I'm not too impressed with HYS's ability to choose a man for his daughter. He wouldn't even listen to HR when she tried to tell him what a pervert OYK was. He was so determined that her husband had to be smart enough that he didn't really care what sort of personality his potential son-in-law had.

He's also a hypocrite; he claims to despise social conventions, but he's very reluctant to let his daughter choose her own husband.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

To HYS's credit, one of his "personality" requirements was that his son-in-law had to smart. And since OYK was smart, and GJ dumb, that put GJ in a hole that was too large to dig out of, even if OYK was unscrupulous.

As for letting HR pick for herself, I'd say that's more selfishness than hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I'm not too impressed with HYS's ability to choose a man for his daughter. He wouldn't even listen to HR when she tried to tell him what a pervert OYK was. He was so determined that her husband had to be smart enough that he didn't really care what sort of personality his potential son-in-law had.

He's also a hypocrite; he claims to despise social conventions, but he's very reluctant to let his daughter choose her own husband.
    She never tried to tell him about it; in fact, she prevented Guo Jing from doing so.

I think LHC would actually be Huang Yaoshi's favored choice. He is extremely intelligent (possibly one of if not the most intelligent protagonists in Jinyong), nonconformist but still a decent man, strong willed, very loyal/loving to his beloved, and possessed of an exceptional martial arts that might even awe HYS himself.

YG is also a good second choice when it comes to HYS's taste.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Umm actually I think HYS sheer unconformity would enable him to pick no one from the list. HYS would select the most unconventional and most unlikely decision. His decision would venture as far away from social norms as possible..

Hence HYS would pick....HYS (that's right he himself, what's more of a HYS-like attitude than this decision?)

Uh no, no matter WHAT he thinks, I don't think he's into incest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    She never tried to tell him about it; in fact, she prevented Guo Jing from doing so.

I think LHC would actually be Huang Yaoshi's favored choice. He is extremely intelligent (possibly one of if not the most intelligent protagonists in Jinyong), nonconformist but still a decent man, strong willed, very loyal/loving to his beloved, and possessed of an exceptional martial arts that might even awe HYS himself.

YG is also a good second choice when it comes to HYS's taste.
    That's because HR knows her dad well and knows that he likely wouldn't care about that stuff. HYS knows OYK is a bad guy anyway, out of spite and possibly jealousy for GJ, he just subconsciously ignored it or he actually doesn't care. He was biased against GJ in the beginning, so he was probably gonna be very tolerant of OYK.

---

For the choices, XZ is definitely out. He's not only stupid, but he's a pushover.

He'd like LHC best I think. Same disregard for "li fa." HYS despises li fa, while LHC doesn't go that far, he just doesn't care too much about it, but that's close enough.

He'd probably like XF too since XF is actually very smart. There was no mention of his having had any sort of lucky encounter to give him his elite kung fu powers, which makes him rare among JY protagonists. He seems to have reach his level of kung fu through practice and innate talent.

DY would probably say stuff to criticize HYS. He'd drive HYS nuts.
    This account is retired.

I would say XF is very talented, with a good but not great brain. There's no mention of him being exceptionally smart.

Not sure if HYS would pick XF. The guy was practically on the brink of committing suicide everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Radken View Post
    Not sure if HYS would pick XF. The guy was practically on the brink of committing suicide everyday.
    XF was because of the events that happened to him (IE. Death of Ah Zhu). Saying what you just said is like saying that "LHC already has RYY"

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    I would say XF is very talented, with a good but not great brain. There's no mention of him being exceptionally smart.
    He seemed to have ran the Mendicant Clan capably,and he was a calculated thinker. Plus without stumbling onto sacred kung fu manuals or elite kung fu recluses, he built himself into an elite fighter in his time through old fashion training. Unfortunately for him, all the stuff that happened to him and his quest for vengeance just eventually clouded his judgment - not sure if anyone in the JY world would have remained clearheaded in his shoes.
    This account is retired.

Agreed. One of the reasons why I hate him so much. I've never really understood why so many readers love this character.

I always thought he was biased against Guo Jing because Guo Jing had killed Chen Xuanfeng and was actually at Peach Blossom Island to receive his death, when suddenly Hong 7 Gong arrives and strains the diplomatic discussions he was having with Ouyang Feng. Suddenly the chap he was going to kill had become a suitor.

I do wonder why he was being so overly respectful with Ouyang Feng (and Hong 7 Gong as well). Surely his coolness and intolerance wasn't reserved only for people outside the four greats?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I always thought he was biased against Guo Jing because Guo Jing had killed Chen Xuanfeng and was actually at Peach Blossom Island to receive his death, when suddenly Hong 7 Gong arrives and strains the diplomatic discussions he was having with Ouyang Feng. Suddenly the chap he was going to kill had become a suitor.

I do wonder why he was being so overly respectful with Ouyang Feng (and Hong 7 Gong as well). Surely his coolness and intolerance wasn't reserved only for people outside the four greats?
    I think he was biased more so because he thought Guo Jing as 'dumb' and when he looked at Ouyang Ke he saw him as a very intelligent and refined looking person and therefore was very suitable for his daughter. About Guo Jing killing Chen Xuanfeng that was probably also one of the reasons but I think it was more so due to the fact that Guo Jing simply looked 'dumb', unrefined and not highly skilled in martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    the true favorite for HYS is probably Yang Guo though :P
    Maybe Huang Yaoshi gets jealous that Yang Guo > him in heresy.

He got jealous that Guo Jing got Huang Rong's love (which is understandable for a parent), and thus hated him. If the one she loved was even smarter than him, the jealousy might double.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

LHC would be the 1st choice out of the lot I think. BUT only if it is the post-DG9J LHC. His stupid adherence to blind forms (thanks to YBQ's teaching) might piss off HYS and make him look stupid.

XF probably next. Nothing about him that would really stand out but as a sort-of-H7G type character, if nothing else better came along, HYS probably wouldn't mind him (seeing how he respected H7G).

DY might impress him with his learnings but I definitely can see DY criticising HYS's treatment of everyone else, pissing him off.

Pre-Martial Arts DY : Meat Paste

Post Martial Arts DY : Either he dodges and runs away or HYS is going to lose half his inner energy! Either way, HYS is gonna be majorly PISSED!

XZ : NO CHANCE IN HELL! I'd like to see HYS try to slap late-DGSD XZ though.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I personally think Duan Yu has a good chance with Huang Yaoshi. Huang Yaoshi apparently likes ppl who are defiant and upright, reminding Huang of himself. Duan Yu falls in this category. Huang would be impressed by Duan's fearlessness, not to mention his smarts as well.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

[quote=Ren Ying Ying;824916]when was HYS ever afraid of someone else's palms?

He's probably not afraid of anyone's palms true to that, but I'd like to see him try to mess with XF and then get blasted real good with XL18Z.
    Last edited by chibidaisuke; 09-19-10 at 09:13 PM.