Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 ways to know if you're Asian...

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    #4 and #5 are actually quite prominent issues in China right now.
    I can see how some really patriotic person may think that China is great.

But #5? Are you serious? Who in their right minds would think Hitler is a great guy?
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    But #5? Are you serious? Who in their right minds would think Hitler is a great guy?
    He was though, at least in the eyes of all those nazis. As seen in history he led a lot of people to war but eventually lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs View Post
    He was though, at least in the eyes of all those nazis. As seen in history he led a lot of people to war but eventually lost.
    I don't mean the Nazis back then or neo-Nazis now. PJ said that these issues are now predominant in China, so I'd like to know who in their right mind in China would think of Hitler as a great person.
    My love and my agony.

Some are very pro-nationalistic.......maybe a bit too much, and what's a better example of that than Hitler?

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Some are very pro-nationalistic.......maybe a bit too much, and what's a better example of that than Hitler?
    That's a bit disturbing.
    My love and my agony.

It's VERY disturbing. Don't underestimate these Chinese students...they can become quite dangerous if they want to, now that the country's pretty much brainwashed them nicely. Tiananmen is way in the past now.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    It's VERY disturbing. Don't underestimate these Chinese students...they can become quite dangerous if they want to, now that the country's pretty much brainwashed them nicely. Tiananmen is way in the past now.
    that is really disturbing. I haven't been to China in like 14 years, since I left, so I really don't know how things are like there.
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    5. You think Hitler is a great man.
    I think I agree with this...... from these 2 perspectives: 1) Hitler is not a great woman. 2) Hitler is a great man .....only applicable for the women (j/k, kk?)
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

1. You were/are a good student with very high GPAs.

Good student - yes. High GPA in 2nd degree but not 1st degree - depends on what you mean by 'high'.

2. You majored in something practical like engineering, medicine or finance

Biomedicine, Chinese Medicine actually. A rebel within the idealistic 'medicine' career.

3. You have more than one-college degree, especially more than one Master's.

Yes, planning to do a Masters or PhD.

4. If you play a musical instrument, it must be piano

Would like to play one...maybe the Qin.

5. You have a vinyl table cloth on your kitchen table.

We have a glass table . No point with table cloth, lose beauty of the glass.

6. Your stove is covered with aluminum foil.

Yes, a practical practice.

7. Your kitchen has a sticky film of grease over it.

What? So that all manner of debris and filth can adhere and remain in the kitchen. Who on Earth would do that?

8. You beat eggs with chopsticks.

Yes.

9. You always leave outdoor shoes at the door

That's a traditional Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese practice. It's etiquette rather than evidence to show if you're Asian or not.

10. You use the dishwasher as a dish rack. You keep a Thermos of hot water available at all times.

Our dishwasher has been dysfunctional since a time I don't remember. Yes to therms of hot water.

12. You boil water before drinking

Only if visiting overseas...sensible practice. I'd find it strange that people wouldn't if travelling...GIT viruses are not very desirable while trying to enjoy a holiday.

13. You eat all meals in the kitchen to keep your dining room clean.

What non-sense is that? What would be the point of the dining room then.

14. You don't use measuring cups when preparing foods.

Depends what I'm cooking. But don't best cooks work by instinct? That's like saying most professional chefs are Asian.

15. You save grocery bags and use them to hold garbage.

Most grocery bags aren't large enough as garbage bags.

16. You have a rice cooker.

Yep.

17. You're a wok user.

I find it funny how so little people on this thread don't know what a wok is. But yes, we use a wok.

]18. You fight over who pays the dinner bill.

'A A yay' (shared billed) is actually quite common in the Canto/HK/ABC Asian community. And from the type of questions asked, it seems very Canto/HK/ABC traditions based. So I don't know who still fights over dinner bills these days, except for the older generation.

19. You wash rice 2-3 times before cooking it.

Yep.

20. You make sounds when you have a bowl of soup

I never heard of such an Asian eating etiquette. Sounds like deliberate rudeness.

21. You don't dry-clean clothes, even if they need to be dry-cleaned.

Why on Earth not? Wouldn't that ruin the clothes specified to be dry-cleaned?

22. You iron your own shirts

Nope.

23. You like congee with thousand year old eggs.

Not my favourite, but once in long while yes.

24. You always cook yourself, even if you hate it.

What a nightmare that would be!

25. You use credit cards, and pay monthly bills in full

Sometimes.

26. You do either soccer, swimming, badminton,volleyball, basketball, or ping pong, and have an obsession with making the Beijing Olympics

Martial arts actually. I don't dig the Olympics.

27. You buy Christmas cards after Christmas, when they are 50ff.

E-Xmas cards are the way to go these days.

28. When you hand wash dishes, you only use cold water.

Hell no.

29. You hate to waste food a) Even if you're totally full, if someone says they're going to throw away the leftovers on the table, you'll finish them.You have Tupperware in your fridge with three bites of rice or one leftover chicken wing.

I eat very small amounts, so leaving such leftovers would be considered a sensible meal to me.

30. You don't own any real Tupperware-only a cupboard full of used but carefully rinsed margarine tubs, takeout containers, and jam jars.

I love Tupperware. Crime not to own Tupperware.

32. When toilet paper is on sale, you buy 100 rolls and store them.

What is the obssession with toilet paper?

33. You have a collection of miniature shampoo/conditioner bottles and little soap bars that you take every time you stay in a hotel

If only I was that organised.

34. The condiments in your fridge are either Price Club sized or come in plastic packets, which you save every time you get take out or go to McDonald's

Why would anyone keep condiments from fast food?

35. You carry a stash of your own food whenever you travel (and travel means any car ride longer than 15 minutes

I would if I could. Snacking boosts metabolism and is considered part of 'healthy eating' these days. Alas, not dedicated enough to keep own food with me at all times.

36. You spit bones and other food scraps on the table

That's positively archaic. Although, I have seen it at formal Chinese dinners.

37. Your dad thinks he can fix everything himself.

I fix everything myself.

38. When you go to a dance party, there is always a group of guys surrounding the dance floor trying to look cool.

I don't go to dance parties.

39. Your house/apartment is always cold in winter, and hot in summer.

Does that suggest Asian houses don't have temperature regulation, heaters, and ACs? Who on Earth wrote these questions? Some a pure silliness.

40. Your Mom drives her Mercedes to Foodtown, or Shoppers Food Warehouse regardless how far it is, even if the dairy is next door.

My mom doesn't like Mercedes.

41. You always look phone numbers up in the phone book, since calling Directory Assistance costs 50 cents

That's what a cell is for.

42. You only make long distance calls after 11pm or during weekends

That's what distance call cards are for.

43. You prefer your shrimp with the heads and legs still attached.

Depends how it is cooked.

44. You never call your parents just to say hi

What a waste of resources. I suppose this questions refers to if you rarely see your parents. Don't most Asians either live close or with their parents.

A very non-Asian criteria if you ask me.

45. You think ONLY Japanese can make good CARS!

Don't know enough about cars to comment.

46. You use a colored face cloth every morning.

A non-Asian would use an un-coloured face cloth? White is a colour too. So how would one find in a general store or supermarket an 'un-coloured' face cloth?

47. You starve yourself before going to all-you-can-eat places.

What a silly practice. Starving yourself may not necessarily increase your appetite either. Appetisers do that.

48. Almost all your money is in a savings account

Only if you have no idea what financial management is. Wasn't one of the early questions about Asians choosing finance as a career? How contraindicating.

49. You never discuss your love life with your parents.

I think this would apply to anyone, regardless of cultural background. Purely depends on how open you are with your folks.

50. You take this message post it in your own blog for all your Azn friends to see.

I don't have my own blog. Most of my friends aren't Asian.

I only did this 'survey' because I'm bored out of my mind at the moment. I really found it some questions quite silly and non-Asian.

Besides, I'm 2nd generation Eurasian anyway, so I don't count .

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhotastic View Post
    I found this in another forum, and I thought it was very funny on how true some of these are.

High GPAs, yes. Very high, no.
    2. You majored in something practical like engineering, medicine or finance No. I'm the only one in my generation of cousins that majored in arts.
    3. You have more than one-college degree, especially more than one Master's. Yes.
    4. If you play a musical instrument, it must be piano Yes, but I also play saxophone.
    5. You have a vinyl table cloth on your kitchen table. No table cloth at all.
    6. Your stove is covered with aluminum foil. Nope.
    7. Your kitchen has a sticky film of grease over it. Not on the weekends since that's when the cleaning happens.
    8. You beat eggs with chopsticks. Nope.
    9. You always leave outdoor shoes at the door Yes.
    10. You use the dishwasher as a dish rack Sometimes.
    . You keep a Thermos of hot water available at all times. Yes.
    12. You boil water before drinking Nope, filtered water.
    13. You eat all meals in the kitchen to keep your dining room clean. Don't have a dining room.
    14. You don't use measuring cups when preparing foods. True.
    15. You save grocery bags and use them to hold garbage. True.
    16. You have a rice cooker. True.
    17. You're a wok user. Nope.
    ]18. You fight over who pays the dinner bill. Not really. Going dutch is the thing these days.
    19. You wash rice 2-3 times before cooking it. Yes.
    20. You make sounds when you have a bowl of soup Ew, no.
    21. You don't dry-clean clothes, even if they need to be dry-cleaned. Nope.
    22. You iron your own shirts Sometimes.
    23. You like congee with thousand year old eggs. Yup.
    24. You always cook yourself, even if you hate it. Nope. Eating out is one of the best things in life.
    25. You use credit cards, and pay monthly bills in full Yup.
    26. You do either soccer, swimming, badminton,volleyball, basketball, or ping pong, and have an obsession with making the Beijing Olympics Nope. I snowboard and go white-water rafting.
    27. You buy Christmas cards after Christmas, when they are 50ff. Sometimes.
    28. When you hand wash dishes, you only use cold water. Ew, no.
    29. You hate to waste food Sometimes.
    a) Even if you're totally full, if someone says they're going to throw away the leftovers on the table, you'll finish them.
    You have Tupperware in your fridge with three bites of rice or one leftover chicken wing. HAHA, no.
    30. You don't own any real Tupperware-only a cupboard full of used but carefully rinsed margarine tubs, takeout containers, and jam jars. No.
    32. When toilet paper is on sale, you buy 100 rolls and store them. True.
    33. You have a collection of miniature shampoo/conditioner bottles and little soap bars that you take every time you stay in a hotel Not anymore.
    34. The condiments in your fridge are either Price Club sized or come in plastic packets, which you save every time you get take out or go to McDonald's Nope.
    35. You carry a stash of your own food whenever you travel (and travel means any car ride longer than 15 minutes Yup.
    36. You spit bones and other food scraps on the table Um, no.
    37. Your dad thinks he can fix everything himself. He tries and then hires someone else to do it.
    38. When you go to a dance party, there is always a group of guys surrounding the dance floor trying to look cool. Yes.
    39. Your house/apartment is always cold in winter, and hot in summer. Yes.
    40. Your Mom drives her Mercedes to Foodtown, or Shoppers Food Warehouse regardless how far it is, even if the dairy is next door. Um, no.
    41. You always look phone numbers up in the phone book, since calling Directory Assistance costs 50 cents Never looked up a number in the phone book.
    42. You only make long distance calls after 11pm or during weekends Unlimited cell plan, so nope.
    43. You prefer your shrimp with the heads and legs still attached. I don't like shrimp at all.
    44. You never call your parents just to say hi I don't call my parents, period.
    45. You think ONLY Japanese can make good CARS! Nope.
    46. You use a colored face cloth every morning. Ew, no.
    47. You starve yourself before going to all-you-can-eat places. Nope.
    48. Almost all your money is in a savings account I wish.
    49. You never discuss your love life with your parents. Nope, but somehow they figure it out anyway.
    AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST:
    50. You take this message post it in your own blog for all your Azn friends to see.
    I have a blog, but this isn't going on there. And my friends are Asian, not Azn.

So I'm 48% Asian...
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

-- yep.

2. You majored in something practical like engineering, medicine or finance
    -- yes
    3. You have more than one-college degree, especially more than one Master's.
    -- yep, i'm doing my second bachelor degree
    4. If you play a musical instrument, it must be piano
    -- no, I don't play any instrument and if I ever learn to play one I will chose the guitar as it's cheaper and more romantic .
    5. You have a vinyl table cloth on your kitchen table.
    -- no
    6. Your stove is covered with aluminum foil.
    -- yep
    7. Your kitchen has a sticky film of grease over it.
    -- yes, haha
    8. You beat eggs with chopsticks.
    -- yes
    9. You always leave outdoor shoes at the door
    -- no
    10. You use the dishwasher as a dish rack. You keep a Thermos of hot water available at all times.
    -- no
    12. You boil water before drinking
    -- yes
    13. You eat all meals in the kitchen to keep your dining room clean.
    - no
    14. You don't use measuring cups when preparing foods.
    - no, i dont
    15. You save grocery bags and use them to hold garbage.
    - yes
    16. You have a rice cooker.
    - yes
    17. You're a wok user.
    - yes, sometimes
    18. You fight over who pays the dinner bill.
    - no,
    19. You wash rice 2-3 times before cooking it.
    - no, just 1.
    20. You make sounds when you have a bowl of soup
    - no! never, that's so rude.
    21. You don't dry-clean clothes, even if they need to be dry-cleaned.
    - yes, i do.
    22. You iron your own shirts
    - yes
    23. You like congee with thousand year old eggs.
    - yes
    24. You always cook yourself, even if you hate it.
    - yes
    25. You use credit cards, and pay monthly bills in full
    - yes
    26. You do either soccer, swimming, badminton,volleyball, basketball, or ping pong, and have an obsession with making the Beijing Olympics
    - no, i play soccer but have never dreamt of making it to any competition, not to mention the beijing olympics.
    27. You buy Christmas cards after Christmas, when they are 50ff.
    -- never,
    28. When you hand wash dishes, you only use cold water.
    -- no way, i hate cold water.
    29. You hate to waste food
    a) Even if you're totally full, if someone says they're going to throw away the leftovers on the table, you'll finish them.You have Tupperware in your fridge with three bites of rice or one leftover chicken wing.
    -- no, i hate to waste food, but will never force myself to eat something that someone else is gonna throw away.
    30. You don't own any real Tupperware-only a cupboard full of used but carefully rinsed margarine tubs, takeout containers, and jam jars.
    - wrong
    32. When toilet paper is on sale, you buy 100 rolls and store them.
    - wrong
    33. You have a collection of miniature shampoo/conditioner bottles and little soap bars that you take every time you stay in a hotel
    -- wrong
    34. The condiments in your fridge are either Price Club sized or come in plastic packets, which you save every time you get take out or go to McDonald's
    - wrong
    35. You carry a stash of your own food whenever you travel (and travel means any car ride longer than 15 minutes
    -- true
    36. You spit bones and other food scraps on the table
    -- no, that's disgusting. i'll spit those thingies on a dish.
    37. Your dad thinks he can fix everything himself.
    -- true
    38. When you go to a dance party, there is always a group of guys surrounding the dance floor trying to look cool.
    -- true
    39. Your house/apartment is always cold in winter, and hot in summer.
    -- haha, true
    40. Your Mom drives her Mercedes to Foodtown, or Shoppers Food Warehouse regardless how far it is, even if the dairy is next door.
    -- false, as petrol price is too high,
    41. You always look phone numbers up in the phone book, since calling Directory Assistance costs 50 cents
    -- yes
    42. You only make long distance calls after 11pm or during weekends
    -- no, that's stupid as the call will annoy the receiver.
    43. You prefer your shrimp with the heads and legs still attached.
    - no,
    44. You never call your parents just to say hi
    -- yeah
    45. You think ONLY Japanese can make good CARS!
    -- wrong
    46. You use a colored face cloth every morning.
    -- yes
    47. You starve yourself before going to all-you-can-eat places.
    -- no
    48. Almost all your money is in a savings account
    -- yes
    49. You never discuss your love life with your parents.
    True

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST:
    False, why the hell should I do that?

24/50 -- i'm half asian?????
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Here's my own top 5 items to know when you're Mainland Chinese:

1. You gun down your ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend, then kill yourself.
    Stupidest thing I ever heard.

2. You spend all your effort tracking down a Pro-Tibet poster on the internet, planning to murder his entire family.
    Most of my mainland chinese friends don't care about Tibet that much. They know Tibet will not separate from china.

3. When someone accidentally steps on your foot at a bus stop, you follow him to his home and stab him to death.
    Again, stupid comment.

4. You think China is the best thing since sliced tofu, much better than US and the industrialized countries.
    Most of my mainland chinese friends are very open about food. They eat all kinds of food. Most of them like western food as well.

5. You think Hitler is a great man.
    Before I read about his biography from wikipeda, I always thought Hitler was either, or combination of, a drug addict, womanizer, gambling addict, alcoholic, an abusive husband and father, blaming others for his wrong doing, and always use his race card like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. I never imagine he could be a war hero.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 11-13-09 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I always thought Hitler...always use his race card like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.
    Wow, you thought that?!?!?

Why would Hitler ever use a *race card*?!? You do realise the man endeavoured to annihilate everyone outside of the Aryan race! I think you are far too preoccupied with 'race cards' to even consider logic.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Stupidest thing I ever heard.

Most of my mainland chinese friends don't care about Tibet that much. They know Tibet will not separate from china.

Again, stupid comment........blah blah (nonsense)
    I hope Kidd reads this and say something.

This is NOT a debate thread! Do you have to do such annoying thing, to annoy PJ to the core?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Wow, you thought that?!?!?

Why would Hitler ever use a *race card*?!? You do realise the man endeavoured to annihilate everyone outside of the Aryan race! I think you are far too preoccupied with 'race cards' to even consider logic.
    Nice one, Wise Ol' Sparky
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-22-09 at 02:39 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by TC
    Most of my mainland chinese friends...
    I didn't know you had any friends.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

...and the #1 falesafe way to know ur asian

Walk down Skid Row in Los Angeles....if you hear someone calling you "Chink" or any other asian derogatory term...then

you "AZN!!!"
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

I've never really associated Asians with being illiterate and talking like a retard.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

im over 50% true
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!