View Poll Results: Which do you hate more: CJL or WXB?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chen Jialuo

12 63.16%
  • Wei Xiaobao

7 36.84%

Thread: Which do you hate more: CJL or WXB?

Default Which do you hate more: CJL or WXB?

Which one do you dislike more?? Chen Jialuo from The Book and the Sword or Wei Xiaobao from The Duke of Mount Deer?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dan~ View Post
    Which one do you dislike more?? Chen Jialuo from The Book and the Sword or Wei Xiaobao from The Duke of Mount Deer?
    Of course Wai Siu Bo, he is a proud serial rapist with no regret....
    On the other hand, Chan Ka Lok is just being stupid but still a good and up-standing man...

I actually like WXB.

Given his fault we're all just jealous we aren't as lucky as him.
    If we were we'd do far more dispicable things.
    Of all things he's loyal. In all mafia movies, no matter what crimes, loylaty is what counts.

Wei Xiaobao is generally well-liked.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Wei Xiaobao is generally well-liked.
    He's a likeable character, but he does do a number of things that can't be endorsed and are unbecoming of a hero.

He's not a hero.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I just finished re-reading Book and Sword last week, and I still don't understand why everyone hates CJL so much. He didn't go out and commit mass murders or rapes, or betray all his friends. He made some poor choices.

But I haven't read or seen DOMD, so I can't make any comparison between CJL and WXB.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by Aventinus View Post
    I actually like WXB.

Given his fault we're all just jealous we aren't as lucky as him.
    If we were we'd do far more dispicable things.
    Of all things he's loyal. In all mafia movies, no matter what crimes, loylaty is what counts.
    but Chen Jialuo wasn't any less loyal...

For me, I actually dislike CJL more than WXB.
    I mean yeah WXB did some really bad things but he is loyal and doesn't try to be anything he's not. Plus he also did some good things.
    CJL though, tried to be the hero, but he didn't have what it took to cut it. He made quite a few bad decisions and messed things up.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dan~ View Post
    I mean yeah WXB did some really bad things but he is loyal and doesn't try to be anything he's not.
    That's a hysterically ironic remark considering that Wai Siu Bo spent DOMD being a eunuch, a Mandarin in the Qing imperial court, and a leader of the Heaven and Earth Society...none of which he ever *really* was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That's a hysterically ironic remark considering that Wai Siu Bo spent DOMD being a eunuch, a Mandarin in the Qing imperial court, and a leader of the Heaven and Earth Society...none of which he ever *really* was.
    Yeah, I didn't mean as in disguise or anything, I actually meant him internally not externally. Sorry for the unclear wording on that.

In real life, Wai Siu Bo is a serial rapist that society detests and would be killed in jail.

Well, the emperor actually did bestow the title of Mandarin on WXB at some point in the story (like getting citizenship) and he was made student of Chen Gen Lam when the later fully knew well that WXB was a snotty fraud kid - he his leadership status in Heaven & Earth society was legit. He was also assigned to be a monk (by the emperor), pretended to be a lama, and became White Dragon for Divine Dragon Sect.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    In real life, Wai Siu Bo is a serial rapist that society detests and would be killed in jail.
    What do you mean by "serial rapist"? Don't get me wrong - rape is bad, but technically the "sex" scene happened only once...

whereas someone like Tian Bak Gong in SPW was continuously committing the act on different dates.

Currently the most hated (rapist) character to me is Zhou Mu in A Step Into the Past. Not only was he rapist, he was into bondage and beat women within an inch of their life just for the fun of it, had (sexual) relations with the Zhou emperor (I think that was implied) to sway him politically.

Actually, WXB was given the status of a Manchu (entering the Banners) early on by Kang Xi. This was not something new nor unique in the course of Qing Dynasty. KX’s maternal grandfather and uncles were also given the status of a Manchu. WXB also did his share of works in the Imperial Court by handling special assignments from the Emperor himself.

Although at first he was just a placeholder, as time goes by he really became the Green Wood Hall’s leader. His subordinates have truly accepted his leadership over them.

WXB only pretended to be an eunuch for about less than a year, not the entire course of the story.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree