View Poll Results: Which country will win the highest score?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • USA

12 38.71%
  • China

18 58.06%
  • Russia

0 0%
  • Australia

0 0%
  • Other....

1 3.23%
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Medal prediction

Default Medal prediction

Which country will win the most medals overall. USA, China, Russia, Australia, ect....
    My prediction is USA, then China, then Russia, then Australia
    Gold Medal = 3 points
    Silver Medal = 2 points
    Bront Medal = 1 point

Ken, please move this to the sport section. My mistake...
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 08-07-08 at 03:41 PM.

I don't really know that much about how good the teams are but I just hope that Italy does the best!
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

In the Olympics, there is always a fairly significant home court advantage. The US beat China by 4 gold medals last time. Accounting for China's vast improvements, China has a good chance of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    In the Olympics, there is always a fairly significant home court advantage. The US beat China by 4 gold medals last time. Accounting for China's vast improvements, China has a good chance of winning.
    I don't believe in home court advantage as china has to build the court based on international standard, not to suit china team specifically
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 08-11-08 at 11:36 PM.

I agree with ken. China has a very good chance of winning the most medals, especially in gymnastics. They really should get the whole underage athletes issue over with though, because people are not going to really respect these girls even if they did win medals.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I don't believe in home court advantage as china has to built the court based on international standard, not to suit china team specifically
    TC, home court advantage refers to the morale boost from playing on one's own turf, cheered on by one's own population. It doesn't refer to court specifications.

Morale, confidence, and a supportive crowd are all hugely important factors in sports.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Meh it's always gonna be the US. No surprise there considering how they "steal" the good athletes/coaches from all over the world.

In certain sports, sure other countries i.e. China may stand a chance, but overall? Still gonna be big brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    TC, home court advantage refers to the morale boost from playing on one's own turf, cheered on by one's own population. It doesn't refer to court specifications.

Morale, confidence, and a supportive crowd are all hugely important factors in sports.
    though occasionally, the home court morale can also put too much pressure on the athletes. the expectations are held so high.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Meh it's always gonna be the US. No surprise there considering how they "steal" the good athletes/coaches from all over the world.
    Yea. I was kinda odded out when i found out that Lang Ping was going to be coach for the US women's national volleyball team...

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    though occasionally, the home court morale can also put too much pressure on the athletes. the expectations are held so high.

Yea. I was kinda odded out when i found out that Lang Ping was going to be coach for the US women's national volleyball team...
    Yeah same here, and I was calling her a traitor until my dad mentioned that we were all traitors for leaving the homeland lol. Then I shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Yeah same here, and I was calling her a traitor until my dad mentioned that we were all traitors for leaving the homeland lol. Then I shut up.
    lol. let's just call it...globalization

"one world, one dream"...right?

Team USA should get the men's basketball gold. This is as good a team that the USA has fielded for men's basketball since the 1992 Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, etc., team.

Still not as good as *that* team, but the closest it's been since.

does basketball counts as 10+ medals (since there's 10+ people in the team), or does it count as 1?

I know sports like gymnastic there's multiple events that awards multiple medals, just like track & fields ect...

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    does basketball counts as 10+ medals (since there's 10+ people in the team), or does it count as 1?

I know sports like gymnastic there's multiple events that awards multiple medals, just like track & fields ect...
    I think it counts as one medal.
    They should just give the gold medal to the U.S. Men's BBall team right now.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

The Hamm brothers have both dropped out of the games due to injury, which will greatly hurt the Americans' chances in gymnastics.

Doubt Australia will come 4th.

Germany will be 4th. Aus should be happy with 5th, if not overtaken by one of Italy, UK or France
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Do you guys cheer more for your ethnic root country (I don't know a better word for this), i.e. China if you're Chinese, Vietnam if you're Viet, etc. etc. or the country you're living in now? (i.e. US, Canada, Australia, etc)

I like both, but I think I am still partial towards China =P

China, then NZ, then Pacific Island nations, then Australia, then Germany, then African Nations, then any team facing the US.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The Hamm brothers have both dropped out of the games due to injury, which will greatly hurt the Americans' chances in gymnastics.

alot of chinese athletes are injured due to over practicing, it could back fire.

PS: the olympic is wack, I don't even see why a country need to put effort in team events if it's only gonna get 1 metal, they already limit the amount of athletes per team so I don't see why they can't increase the metal count for team events...
    Last edited by warlock110; 08-08-08 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    PS: the olympic is wack, I don't even see why a country need to put effort in team events if it's only gonna get 1 metal, they already limit the amount of athletes per team so I don't see why they can't increase the metal count for team events...
    This may sound cliche, but there's no such thing as "I" in a team.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhotastic View Post
    This may sound cliche, but there's no such thing as "I" in a team.
    well, then give them a cup like all other team events around the world, and the cup is worth as many as 3-4 metals or something like that. I mean there's alot of pepole on the team and I'm sure the effort/work is alot more than single events.