Thread: Looking for title of very famous upbeat classical piano tune.

Default Looking for title of very famous upbeat classical piano tune.

Hi, guys. Need some expert help here.

I'm trying to find this very famous upbeat piano tune, classical in origin by the sound of it, that is often heard in association with stuff like ballet dancing. It's often used in music boxes. I'm sure almost anyone would recognize the tune, but I have no idea what the title is (or who composed it), which is why I can't even post a sample here.

I guess all I can do is hope you guys can keep digging into your knowledge until we find it.

Honestly Ken, it would help a lot if you could hum the tune out and post it here. There's just too many songs out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Honestly Ken, it would help a lot if you could hum the tune out and post it here. There's just too many songs out there.
    Gosh, I haven't got the equipment for that, and I'd feel silly humming into a microphone...

The best I can do is this: years ago (back in the mid-1990s), HK pop singers Vivian Chow and Sammi Cheng did a duet of a Cantopop song that borrowed the melody of this classical piece. It was a hit for one of them. I remember the two girls being dressed as Snow White during the performance.

I don't know if that helps at all.

Some more info that might be of help:

The tune starts with a sequence of four identical notes (with something else going on with the piano in the background) before the melody gets started in earnest. It's the kind of tune that would lend itself well to being converted into a pop song.

It's similar in feel to "A Lover's Concerto," but it isn't that particular melody.

I might be wrong about it being of classical origin, although it certainly *sounds* like a tune that has classical origins. There was a popular recording of it made, I believe, in the 1970s...featuring piano as the main instrument, but also featuring strings, drums, and electric bass guitar.

Found it! And as I suspected, the origins were not actually classical (although it sounded classical): Frank Mills' "Music Box Dancer".