Thread: Blade Sounds Within Wind Chimes by GuLong

Default Blade Sounds Within Wind Chimes by GuLong

GuLong has a lot more novels that nobody has translated. I am going to start with a new one, and hope others will continue it (if they have time). This one is titled: 风铃中的刀声 (Blade Sounds within Wind Chimes)

Book - 1 Chapter 1 – White woman inside small white hut

By the time DingDing sees the small white hut, he was already exhausted. The hut is built with white stone, looks ordinary and simple. But outside the hut, is a front porch, which is unusual and does not match the quiet and tasteful nature of the hut. Under the front porch’s eaves, hanging on a string, is a wind chime; which can only be found in a leisurely and carefree person’s home.

DingDing is about to break down, his horse is also in a similar state. Both he and the horse are tough creatures, do not break down easily. They, both, went through a long arduous journey (thru mountains and rivers), innumerable difficulties and hardships, in order to get here. As he sees this white hut and hanging wind chime, he feels like he is almost back in JiangNan (south of Yangtze River).

Beneath the Liu Yin flower tree, leaves wave back and forth like spring water, under the hut’s front porch eaves, tinkles brightly, the wind chimes. He feels as if the wind chimes’ sound brings him back to the sounds of early spring breeze on far off mountains. Then he saw the white woman. White as snow, unmoving as a mountain crag, elegant as the wind, beautiful as a spirit.

“I know that you have traveled a long way. I can also tell you are now thirsty and hungry.” She gives him a desolate and kind look: “Are you here, thinking you might have a bite to eat?” DingDing nods and hangs his head: “After eating my fill, I would also like to sleep a bit.” He smiles shyly: “But till now, I don’t know if I can find these.”

She looks at him directly, for a long time, then softly replies: “Perhaps you already have.” After finishing 3 large bowls of hot soup, made of salted vegetable and meat, she brought him and his horse, foaming at the mouth, to her stable. In this kind of place, a stable is a luxury. She lets him, his horse, and her white horse share the same space – pointing to a pile of straws, asks him: “Are you able to sleep here?”

He certainly can: “On a pile of horse dung, I am able to fall asleep.” She laughs. This laugh which appears on her pale face, seems like a plum blossom in the snow, suddenly splitting open. Looking at her laugh, he feels that she seem to be quite lonely. On his saddle, besides the water bag, are 2 items wrapped in yellow cloth. While the water bag is big, these 2 yellow wrapped items are small, long and narrow.

DingDing removes these 2 items from the saddle, puts them under a deep haystack, and lies down in his clothes atop this haystack. With the smell of far off mountains and straw, he quickly drifts off into slumber. He even dreams of a sheep, a beautiful shepherdess hitting this sheep with a long whip, upon which are filled with thorns. He suddenly feels as if he is this sheep. He wakes up in a cold sweat, wet clothes from his body saturating it.

YinMeng does not dream that night, because she has not fallen asleep. The next thing she knows, the sun is shining. The howling sounds of the wilderness gradually fades away. Outside the hut, a rhythmic sound of chopping firewood can be heard. DingDing is chopping the firewood, in a very unusual but graceful manner.

She gets up, puts on a cotton-padded gown to walk outside, relying on nearby wind chimes sounds. His movement is not quick, he uses the axe clumsily, but splitting under his axe, seems to be a succession of firecracker's spark. She looks at him, looked is as if a little crazy. Waits when he stops down wipes the perspiration, only then sees her.

At this time, you can see neither thirst nor hunger on his face. Due the efforts expended, healthy beads of sweat is flowing down his face: “If it is acceptable to you, can this count towards my board and lodging fees?”

“This is acceptable.” Smilingly: “This is quite a lot already.”

“I can see you have a lot of logs that need to be chopped. The stable’s parapet is also problematic. Your horse that has put in blood and sweat to raise the mixed crops needs a shoe replacement, and your roof needs some work.” DingDing said: “Now that winter is coming, you need to fix the small cave that holds your salted meat and salted chicken. Otherwise, come next spring, your gain will turn foul like tepid water.”

YinMeng looks at him: “You wish to stay and do all these for me?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

DingDing sighs: “Because before the ice melts in spring, I have no place I can possibly get to.”

She stares for a full minute, before slowly enunciating each word clearly: “At the very least, you should tell me what you are called.”

“My surname is Ding, first name Warning (Ding). But my friends call me DingDing.”

When she saw him, riding a decent horse, fatigued by travel, even the pupil and eyebrows were colored yellow by the sand and dust. Near his yellow saddle are 2 wrapped items in yellow. His boots are decent cow leather, with brass horse pedal. The strange thing is that since she first saw him, it is only now that she realizes he is a completely dark skinned man.
    Last edited by genuis8; 08-13-08 at 04:14 PM.

Thank you for the translation.

Hope that you can continue with either one.

Han SOlo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Book - 1, Chapter 2 – The Dark Man

September.
    Full Moon.
    Autumn cool weather, clear as water.

DingDing, in the haystack, takes out the 2 two yellow cloth wrapped items, and untied the bigger one. Inside is a set of neatly folded black garments and a pair of calf skin black leather boots. Under the silvery moonlight, anyone can see that this set of garments are made of unique and expensive material, gently smooth as a maiden’s skin. A down and out wanderer would be undeserving of this kind of clothes. But after he puts it on, absolutely none in the world would venture say he is unworthy of these garments.

The fine clothes clings smoothly on his wiry frame, like a second skin. The tailor’s fine handiwork causes him to turn into another person in the blink of an eye; even seemingly becoming another creature altogether – a Black Panther. He stands under the moonlight; extends his 4 limbs; a succession of cracks is heard from all the joints in his body – like firecrackers.

But to his ears, he hears another’s voice, as if coming from someone who is staring at him eye to eye: “DingDing, note that in September, on the night of the full moon, the 3 people you must deal with are very fearsome. For them, to kill is as easy as drinking water, as relaxed as when drinking water. Even after you die in their hands, you will not even know how you were killed!”

“You need not be concerned.” Ding Ding says: “If I do not wish to die, no matter who desires otherwise, will not be easily accomplished.” Even though he said these, DingDing notes down these 3 people’s identities and spent another 2 months to gather very detailed information about them. These 3 people are:

ShianYuanKaiSan, male, 33 years old, 7 feet 6 inches tall, 184 pounds. Carries a long axe, 5 feet 4 inches in length, weighing 79 pounds, with inborn supernormal strength. ShianYuanKaiSan is a woodcutter’s son. His mother is a Miao (chinese minority group) woman. He grew up in the Yunnan and Kweichow border area, whose rugged mountains have thick forests. At age 4, he can lift his father’s axe. At age 7, he is able to chop with that axe. 3 months later, he cut down his first tree. 3 more months, he used the same axe to hack to death his mother’s lover.

Since Miao women regard their chastity as casually as a wastrel regards money, no one blamed him in this matter. Therefore, later on in life, he regards human life lightly, and for him to kill a person is as casual as felling a tree. Luckily, human beings are not trees. To slay someone is quite a bit more difficult than cutting down trees, resulting in injuries about 27 – 28 times a year, forcing him to lie down in bed more than 100 days. Unfortunately, this resulted in a disciplined, strong body which is difficult to kill, an aura of fierceness, and a destructive “Splitting Mountains 36 Axes” technique. This is a distillation of his bloody battle experiences, and just as effective as if he studied under a master martial artist. At age 16, among Wulin, he is already considered one of the 32 fearsome killers.

Tian Lingzi, female, 27 years old. Married, 6 times, each marriage lasting less than 1 year before becoming a widow. Currently a widow. The men who have seen her are many. Those who can forget her, none. In this world filled with strange and varied characters, rare is a woman who is unforgettable just from a glance. Tian Lingzi is definitely this kind of woman.

Her background is a big question mark. There are many tales about her life, the most credible one being ... Her father is a wanderer, who came to this part of the world, violated her mother, giving birth to her. Her mother’s name is Liu YeEr, a female disciple of Huashan Sword School’s Headmaster, whose sword skills were already quite high. But her father used an extremely heavy and unusual Japanese sword style to counter Huashan’s light and lively techniques, and once unleashed, difficult to counter.

Isn’t this kind of woman scary? What is even scarier is that all of the 6 men she married were all from famous schools and clans, each one being their next generation’s outstanding expert. She is certain to have absorbed the best of each husband’s swordsmanship. Therefore, in JiangHu, whenever someone sees a gentle beautiful woman with a lovable smile, by the time she walks up to them, an instant later they could die under her sword.

But compared to The Shepherd, both ShianYuanKaiSan and Tian Lingzi would seems like angels. Were it to be said that in this world there is a kind of walking nightmare, The Shepherd is definitely one.
    DingDing realizes that who know him are few. In JiangHu, nobody can collect information about him. What is his surname, given name? What experiences? What martial skills? No one knows.

Most strange, in JiangHu, nobody even know if The Shepherd is male or female! Only known fact is that he uses a very long whip, probably like those used in the wilderness, but only an evil shepherd can use such an evil whip. Quite frightening are the thorns on the whip, resembling thorns on rosebuds. More frightening is the herd he tends to are not sheep but human beings. Man, woman, old, young, short, disabled, talented, scholar, knight, hero ... all of these, in his eyes, are the same: sheep under his whip. He looks at human society as sheep under his whip. For him to urge on or enslave.

DingDing also dreamt once of him in his nightmare. DingDing knows that in tonight’s fight, The Shepherd is the one he knows about the least. What kind of person this Shepherd is, is unknown. Therefore, it is imperative that DingDing do not die under such a person’s hand.

DingDing unties the second item. Inside the narrow and long yellow cloth is a blade. A very long, very slender blade. He does not unsheath it. It is not necessary to often clean it, to maintain its sharpness. This blade is not for show. Only when he faces death against a strong enemy will the blade leaves it sheath. Whenever the blade leaves its sheath, it must draw blood. If the enemy does not perish, I die.

At this time, he does not have any choice or leeway. Passes through the full moonlit land; arrives at the curb built with the white stone. DingDing slings the bucket, fills it with ice cold well water, and pours it completely over himself, sobering up. The water flows over his clothes, scabbard, boots and the sheath. Just as quickly, the water drains away, seemingly drying up as if running water met the desert. Then he moves to rendezvous with death. Straight up, to meet death. But whose death? No one knows.

Yin Meng does not dream tonight. Her eyes are open, as if waiting all this time. Waiting for one coming home? Or waiting for a traveler? Full moon, in the window, clean and cold. Although the moon is full, it is still lonely. Just like mankind. Outside is the moon, the wind is still. Suddenly the wind chimes ring violently, as if heaven and earth are touched with a killing aura! Just as quickly the gust of wind ends, the wind chimes quiet down.

She was using a fine string to clean her pearly white teeth, bites her pale lips, slowly stands up, goes to the window. A darkly garbed man, goes by outside the window, under the moonlit night, towards an immensely dark area, he goes.

Notes [These first 2 chapters are quite short compared to Chapter 3, which is longer than these 2 combined.]
    Last edited by genuis8; 08-13-08 at 04:14 PM.

Great. I always look foward to seeing more Gu Long. I hope you continue.

MO Slim

Thank you Genuis8. Please continue with the story.

This novel is composed of 8 books.

Book 1 = 4 chapters.
    Book 2 = 2 chapters.
    Book 3 = 3 chapters.
    Book 4 = 7 chapters.
    Book 5 = 2 chapters.
    Book 6 = 1 chapter.
    Book 7 = 4 chapters.
    Book 8 = 2 chapters.

I do not know if they are the same characters in a continuing storyline, or different characters with a common theme.

My translation methodology is using Multitranse software to get a rough draft, then slowly read the chinese novel & use multitranse to translate words I dont recognize. I am learning chinese character reading as I go on. I can recognize only a few characters off hand, so it is slow going for me.

It is bold to learn by doing in a public forum like this. I admire your guts. Good luck with the translation and the learning process as well. We all look forward to seeing your work, I am sure.

MO Slim

Quote Originally Posted by missouri.slim View Post
    It is bold to learn by doing in a public forum like this. I admire your guts. Good luck with the translation and the learning process as well. We all look forward to seeing your work, I am sure.

MO Slim
    Bold? Maybe. The SAS motto is: Those who dare wins!

Besides, the worse thing that can happen is readers laugh at the translations. I can laugh at myself too.

Thanks and hope you enjoy. Speedy updates are not guaranteed!

Book – 1

Chapter – 3 Before Death

The sky is black, the full moon just risen. ShianYuanKaiSan prepares to rest. He had just eaten half of a roasted small young goat, needing to sleep for 2 hours, in order to gather the strength needed to cope with tonight’s midnight battle. Brings forth a piece of cowhide, which he personally stripped, lays it over the sand and stone. As soon as he lies down on it, he should have been asleep. But he awakens immediately. He has not heard any sound, but senses footsteps, which wakes him up. He has never been wrong whenever he senses that someone is nearby.

In this situation, he had already determined that anyone within seven feet can be torn apart by his bare hands. 7 feet is his safety limit. Unthinkable that the footfalls ended exactly on the outer edge of the 7 feet distance. At first he wanted to pretend to sleep, but now unable to do so. Narrowing his eyes, under the silvery moonlight, he sees a person. Wearing embroidered garments, stands a big kid, safely outside his circle, and looks at him with especially bright eyes. In this wilderness of mountains and raging rivers, how can such kind of person appear?

“Little rascal, what are you up to? What are doing here? Aren’t you afraid that wild wolves will eat you?”

“Little rascal? You call me little rascal?” The young kid wearing embroidered clothes guffawed, voice like silver bells: “ShianYuanKaiSan, only 33 years old this year, daring to call me little rascal?” This little rascal shakes her, intentionally sighs: “Do you know that among my 6 husbands, the youngest is older than you by 10 years?”

ShianYuanKaiSan is shocked. Jumps up suddenly, looks at her, seemingly for half a day, lets out a laugh: “I know who you are. You must be that Tian Lingzi.” He guffaws: “Good thing I know you only want your husband’s life, or else I would scampering away like a scared rabbit after being shot at by arrows.”

Under the light, upon closer examination, this little rascal is really not so little. Regardless of which angle you look from, she is a grown up and perfectly mature woman. Petite in stature, she does not look she can even harm a man’s heart. ShianYuanKaiSan looks at her, shakes his head, sighs: “Only now do I understand why your husbands died. If I were your husband, I would also be dead in your hands.”

Tian Lingzi also gives him a long, long gaze: “I truly do not understand you. I watched you for 4 – 5 days, from when you first arrived, I carefully observed. These 4, 5 days I find that you carefully observe each battle spot, its vicinity, checks the soil textures whether soft or hard, even the wind direction. I originally thought you were a sloppy person, never thought that you are so careful.”

ShianYuanKaiSan laughs: “Sloppy men also want to go on living. Those who don’t have a death wish, with such an important life and death event coming up, can be nothing else but careful.”

The light shines from 8 sheep horn lanterns, which hang upon a gorgeous comfortable sheepskin awning, carefully bonded upon the crag’s edge of the rocky mountain. Under the awning, are furnishings which would make anyone totally comfortable. You might even say, it lacks for nothing. Tian Lingzi is without doubt a very fastidious woman who enjoys comfort.

When ShianYuanKaiSan steps through the awning, he also comes to this conclusion. Because as he enters, the first thing he sees, is four faces with delicate features, upon strong healthy boys, who were folding her clothes, making her bed, and setting vegetables dishes as if arranging a banquet. Upon entering the warm awning, she takes off the long embroidered gown, leaving a thin gauze like garment over her body, fine as a cicada’s wing. Under the sparkling sheep horn lanterns’ light, even in this hard to see location, everything is crystal clear.

The 4 youths do not avoid but gazes directly into her eyes. Eyes full of young, primitive fervor and desires. Seeing this interchange, to imagine they have an unusual relationship is a normal reaction. Tian Lingzi does not even act like anything out of the ordinary, puts a hand upon one youth’s shoulder, heartily laughs: “Many methods there are, for women to retain lasting youth. I discovered one of the most effective, is the vigor of young handsome boys.”

ShianYuanKaiSan laughs: “Not only do I see that your method is effective, it is also quite interesting.”

Ting Lingzi:” So why wait until you’re an old man? You should start the experiment with several young girls now.” She smiles seductively.

ShianYuanKaiSan does not look at her smiling face, but below it: “I don’t like girls. What I like are women such as you.”

“I have heard that big tall men like to bully petite women.” Tian Lingzi lightly states: “I have also heard, that the girls you have taken advantage of is quite a number.” As soon as ShianYuanKaiSan stares at her, she straightens up gracefully, grasps her slender waist, eyes showing red.

“Are you afraid, or not?”
    “Of what?”
    “Aren’t you afraid I might rape you?”

Tian Lingzi laughs again, with a supple movement and serious tone: “I know that you would not engage in this sort of trivial matter. You, yourself know, that you don’t have the assurance of overcoming me. In addition, these little rascals aren’t easy to deal with.”

These 4 young boys’ eyes open wider, stares at ShianYuanKaiSan. Each eye full of murderous intent and hostility. Tian Lingzi raises a hand from one of them, places a kiss from her cherry red lips: “Their age, even though young, already learned 2-pole 4-meter sword. You must have also heard that my 5th husband is one of Wudang’s well known senior experts.”

ShianYuanKaiSan stares at her, seemingly for half a day, laughs suddenly: “I really would not have dared to touch you. This is also your good fortune, meeting me.”

“Oh?”
    “What if the one you met is The Shepherd? Probably by now you would tied stark naked on a pillar.”

Tian Lingzi frist kisses that young boy, then turns her head, to ask: “Have you seen The Shepherd?”

“I haven’t.”

Tian Lingzi smiles enchantingly: “Then how would you know he would be interested in me? How would you know that the one tied up on a pillar stark naked is not you?” ShianYuanKaiSan’s laughter abruptly stops. He once heard that The Shepherd is a woman. Brutal and abnormal women treats others in more cruel fashion than the methods men employ.

Tian Lingzi see his facial expression, continues leisurely: “I once heard from a reliable source that she is more dainty than I. You should know that dainty women, most prefer to bully your kind of tall well-built men. If she really is here, how she would deal with you, I would even want to think about.”

As soon as these words were uttered, she sees a person, calling out in a sweet hoarse voice: “Big guy, you need not fear. Little girl, don’t be too happy either. However I would treat you both, it would be equally the same.” This person’s voice is deep and hoarse, while you can’t say it’s gentle or sweet, neither can you say it is scary or threatening.

The Shepherd is really here. Entering the test is a very tall, very thin person. In order to get in, he must have bent low over the waist to enter. Strictly speaking, he did not walk in. But kind of oozed in like a ghost, whose limbs are all soft and rubbery. He was wearing a long brown colored hooded robe from the western regions, robes dragging along the ground. Under the hat, beneath the eyebrows, appear a pair of blue colored eyes, seeming as innocent as a child’s. Only until he laughed, upon which the eyes gleam with an evil aura.

Now, he is smiling: “I like both men and women. So ease your worries, as I treat all men and women equally and alike.”

ShianYuanKaiSan’ veins bulged out. Tian Lingzi smile is still in place, but not as happy as before.

“In any case, since you are here, let’s sit down and have a glass of wine. We are here for the same purpose, and the same person. Please don’t be courteous and ask me to get comfortable, take off my robe. Usually, when I take off my robe, it gives people a bad scare, men and women alike.”

“I think we won’t be.” Tian Lingzi gives The Shepherd a smile: “I believe Sir ShianYuanKaiSan have seen enough woman, as I have seen an equal number.”

The Shepherd laughs more evilly: “Good. Then I humbly obey.”

As his 7 feet long robe drops to the ground, everyone’s facial expressions change, as if frozen in death by the winter cold. This kind of expression is un-describable. What they see is a midget. 3 feet tall, on 5 feet tall stilts, wearing only strips of red ribbon on the body.

“Now that I have disrobed, my I sit down?”
    “Please do.”
    “Is this the leader’s seat?”
    “Yes.”

Tian Lingzi does not care a bit about it, the 4 boys exploded. 4 daggers were suddenly drawn, fast and unpredictable using Wudang’s sword formations. In the same moment, from their hands, emanate an evil aura. The Shepherd just slowly, and peacefully sits down, right beside Tian Lingzi. During the time it takes for her to sit down, the 4 boys were sent flying, with a red pearly hole on the throat. How this came about, was really hard to tell.

As the red drops fell and splattered, ShianYuanKaiSan did not make any move. His entire body became rigid. Only his red eyes became moree red. The Shepherd gleefully looks at him: “Little Guy, do you have any opinions?”

“I do not.”
    “Have you come to admire me?” The Shepherd asks again.

“A little bit.” ShianYuanKaiSan watches his pair of bloodless, pale, small hands: “I only wonder is your whip?”

The Shepherd laughs: “To deal with this small matter, I refuse to use the whip. It will be needed to deal with people such as yourself.” Placing a small had on the thigh of Tian Lingzi: “How about you, any opinion?”

“What is my opinion?” She softly says: “Do you thing I am happy with trash?”

“Then, it looks like the 3 of us think alike.” The Shepherd lifts her wine glass, takes a sip: “I believe that you now fully understand, in order to deal with tonight’s opponent, all of use must be totally of the same mind.”

“I understand.”

“That person is not an easy one to deal with. But if you can absolutely follow my advice, I can guarantee he will not live past tonight.”

“I believe that.”

“The most important part of all, is that whatever I want you to do, both of you must not oppose. Otherwise, both your throats will likely be cut off.”

No one refutes his words, no one dares refute such a terrible madman.

The Shepherd gently expels a breath: “Under the circumstances, if I am still unsatisfied with anything else, I am no different than an animal.” With his elegant little hands, he takes another drink: “It is still more than an hour away, why don’t we relax and enjoy, as we wait for him to come and die?”

His voice sounded like a beautiful evening’s romantic song: “I have always felt that the time spent waiting for others to die, is the most interesting period. Also one of the most exciting things.”

At this time, the wind chimes beneath the white hut still their ring. DingDing continues his lonely trek across the wilderness, to rendezvous with death.

Question gr8 story

Accidentally bumped into the thread. Although read long back, the last update was not read by me. Thanks genius for translating the same. Any plans to update or abandon the translation ?

littleli,

Due to being swamped at work (IT, programming) at this time, no updates are planned. Sorry.