Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The 4x100m Freestyle Relay.

That's kind of twisted...

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Host country can participate in all events, but it means jack if the individual/team representing the host country isn't competitive. If you are not good enough to qualify normally, chances are you are far from a medal position.
    so what was the point of andychron's statement????

i mean - he's saying china's got some sort of an advantage.

Well they do....because they automatically qualify for every single event. That's kind of messed up imo. Everyone should compete for qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Well they do....because they automatically qualify for every single event. That's kind of messed up imo. Everyone should compete for qualifications.
    ok - they get qualified but since it's about medals ... who cares ...

It's almost no advantage when it comes to medals. It helps the atmosphere and give each sport local viewers.

Chinese 'wild cards' have been doing well anyway, so far I've seen Chinese athletes compete in every field of sport. (fingers crossed it will continue in track and field)
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Lol now people don't care about "fairness"? I'm so sick of people whining and complaining about how EVERYTHING has to be fair and equal. See, a great example of how people pick their battles.

Other countries could argue that if they had this advantage, maybe their 'wildcards' could also do well.

The point is, people need to take a chill pill and chilax a bit. All this negative attention is very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyChrono View Post
    "Rest of the world" being 1 country. It also just happens to be the host country that automatically qualifies in every single event so there's more chances to win medals and not to mention home field advantage.
    i say CATCHING UP...i didn't say CAUGHT UP....

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying. If I'm interpreting it right, you are telling me the host country can participate it all events .... but don't all countries get the same opportunity?!?
    Yes. The host country automatically qualifies for every single event without having to go through Olympic qualifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    The most interesting olympics was one that US hosted ages ago (first time they hosted). They won 80+ out of 90+ gold. Of course 70 of those events were only contested by the US.
    Last time the US won 80+ golds was the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles which were Boycotted by the Soviet Union who were dominant in many events that the Americans happened to get Golds in like Gymnastics.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    It's almost no advantage when it comes to medals.
    Host countries tend to notice a 5-10 bump in overall medals and a couple more Gold. The largest medal haul ever by South Korea is still from the Seoul games. The largest medal haul by Spain ever is still the Barcelona games. Australia the Sydney games, Greece the Athens games, and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if every country's top medal haul, and top Gold haul ever were in Olympics held on home soil (assuming they've actually held one).
    Last edited by AndyChrono; 08-15-08 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness. View Post
    You must really hate US to the bone...
    lol...i love watching US fail....

Lol now people don't care about "fairness"? I'm so sick of people whining and complaining about how EVERYTHING has to be fair and equal. See, a great example of how people pick their battles.

Other countries could argue that if they had this advantage, maybe their 'wildcards' could also do well.

The point is, people need to take a chill pill and chilax a bit. All this negative attention is very annoying.
    ??? Are you replying to me?

I am like totally chillax. I am chilling panda and I blind whingers with my awesomeness.

I put quotation marks around wildcards, because they are actually good enough to qualify normally. I don't remember any proper wildcards winning a medal, you just don't gain 2 seconds or 10kgs on home support. Anyways I am not quite sure how host entry works, especially in sports with multiple subspecialties.

So far we haven't seen any Chinese Eric the eel.

Member of TC fanclub.

Last time the US won 80+ golds was the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles which were Boycotted by the Soviet Union who were dominant in many events that the Americans happened to get Golds in like Gymnastics.

Host countries tend to notice a 5-10 bump in overall medals and a couple more Gold. The largest medal haul ever by South Korea is still from the Seoul games. The largest medal haul by Spain ever is still the Barcelona games. Australia the Sydney games, Greece the Athens games, and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if every country's top medal haul, and top Gold haul ever were in Olympics held on home soil (assuming they've actually held one).
    Na I was talkng about 1904 Olympics, US got 79 golds out of a possible 97.

Canada is the biggest outlier. The Olympics they hosted in the 70s, they got 0 golds. Aus won more gold in Athens than Sydney.

Your original point was automatic qualification = greater chance of winning more medals. My point is that it's negligible advantage. Why don't you prove to me an athlete/team who would not normally qualify actually get a medal.

Member of TC fanclub.

Canada is the biggest outlier. The Olympics they hosted in the 70s, they got 0 golds. Aus won more gold in Athens than Sydney.

Your original point was automatic qualification = greater chance of winning more medals. My point is that it's negligible advantage. Why don't you prove to me an athlete/team who would not normally qualify actually get a medal.
    I love reading your comments. Aggressive and Fierce.

That's not hard to do when "At these Games, only 42 of the 94 events included athletes from outside the United States."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_Su...cs_medal_table

Nonetheless the trend is clear. Countries hosting the Olympics usually get a nice medal boost.

I guess you have a point. I suppose a supportive home crowd would probably make up most of the increased medal haul, with perhaps one or two medals occasionally due to wild-cards.

the point is, qualifying means nothing. 90% of athetes are done after one race, nowhere near the medal stand. so what if you qualify if you're weeded out in the first place?

??? Are you replying to me?

I am like totally chillax. I am chilling panda and I blind whingers with my awesomeness.

I put quotation marks around wildcards, because they are actually good enough to qualify normally. I don't remember any proper wildcards winning a medal, you just don't gain 2 seconds or 10kgs on home support. Anyways I am not quite sure how host entry works, especially in sports with multiple subspecialties.

So far we haven't seen any Chinese Eric the eel.
    No I am not targeting it towards you specifically. I am saying in general, that's how people think.

That's not hard to do when "At these Games, only 42 of the 94 events included athletes from outside the United States."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_Su...cs_medal_table

Nonetheless the trend is clear. Countries hosting the Olympics usually get a nice medal boost.

I guess you have a point. I suppose a supportive home crowd would probably make up most of the increased medal haul, with perhaps one or two medals occasionally due to wild-cards.
    Yep yep. I just thought it was funny, and how advantageous it is to be the host nation, having events only host athletes competed in.

Yep I agree that host nation gets a boost. Home support has some play, and increase emphasis on winning medals (increase budget and hiring coaches).

Member of TC fanclub.

Phelps win by one-one hundredth of a second..and some people thought that he was boring to watch...pfffff

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Maybe Michael Phelps is really this guy:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2008/05/Aquaman-Posters.jpg')
    Naw, this guy wishes he was Michael Phelps..