Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jin Yong Universe a Little too . . . .Crowded?

Default The Jin Yong Universe a Little too . . . .Crowded?

Although some novels are only a few centuries or decades apart, very major changes in wulin seem to have happened and cemented. New sects rise in power, having their own set of martial arts and traditions and idols, a little too quick. I personally think Jin Yong packed his universe a little too full. Some sects that are stated to be hundreds of years old aren't even mentioned in novels that take place a few hundred years earlier. And a few hundred years later, no traces of it remain. This is especially true in the novels that have little to do with each other like SPW, OTG, DOMD, and FFSM. Whereas major organizations like the Beggars Union, the Duan family, and Shaolin are found throughout DGSD and the Condor trilogy, novels taking place in later eras all have sects that are unique to them, but still have centuries worth of martial arts and traditions.

Wulin is a big place. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Wulin is a big place. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    It's not a problem with space but a problem with time.

For example, uber omnipotent sect with three hundred years of tradition dominates Novel A. However, in Novel B that takes place two hundred years before Novel A, the sect isn't mentioned.

This is a bit exaggerated, but I think you get my point.

I don't think it is too crowded... On the other hand, I think there are too much empty space.

I think Gu Long Universe is much much more crowded. He has much more novels and mostly taken place during the Ming Dynasty. Many sects from some novels not even exist in the others... I like Gu Long's wulin better. They are more unique than Jin Yong's....

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I don't think it is too crowded... On the other hand, I think there are too much empty space.

I think Gu Long Universe is much much more crowded. He has much more novels and mostly taken place during the Ming Dynasty. Many sects from some novels not even exist in the others... I like Gu Long's wulin better. They are more unique than Jin Yong's....
    You killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    It's not a problem with space but a problem with time.

For example, uber omnipotent sect with three hundred years of tradition dominates Novel A. However, in Novel B that takes place two hundred years before Novel A, the sect isn't mentioned.

This is a bit exaggerated, but I think you get my point.
    there's no need to mention it if it's not relevant

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    there's no need to mention it if it's not relevant
    This is true but in the Ming and Qing Era novels, the wulin landscape in each of them are completely different despite taking place centuries or decades apart.

Banned

In SPW, beggar's Union still exists, but they are probably pretty weak by then.

in DOMD and later, i think clans became quite rare since the manchus banned martial arts?

Quote Originally Posted by the.raven View Post
    In SPW, beggar's Union still exists, but they are probably pretty weak by then.

in DOMD and later, i think clans became quite rare since the manchus banned martial arts?
    The Beggars Union existed in SPW, but wasn't mentioned at all in OTG and BXJ.

I agree with Renna over there. What's the point of mentioning a certain sect so much if it's not relevant to a story? Just for the heck of it?

There is also the possibility that some sects have fallen from their peak of power hundreds of years ago and have become insignificant, just like the Zhu and Wu families in HSDS. Is the novel suppose to mention them 10000000x just because they are the descendants of who-and-who in ROCH?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I agree with Renna over there. What's the point of mentioning a certain sect so much if it's not relevant to a story? Just for the heck of it?

There is also the possibility that some sects have fallen from their peak of power hundreds of years ago and have become insignificant, just like the Zhu and Wu families in HSDS. Is the novel suppose to mention them 10000000x just because they are the descendants of who-and-who in ROCH?
    But the thing is, DGSD, Trilogy, and SPW obviously share some things. It's fairly obvious that they're in the same universe despite taking place centuries apart. However, the wuxia landscape changes a little too fast to my liking after SPW/OTG (whichever came first).

But the thing is, DGSD, Trilogy, and SPW obviously share some things. It's fairly obvious that they're in the same universe despite taking place centuries apart. However, the wuxia landscape changes a little too fast to my liking after SPW/OTG (whichever came first).
    and us and the Qing dynasty only took place a few centuries apart (or less depending on where you point the timeline)...but certainly many things arn't the same

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    and us and the Qing dynasty only took place a few centuries apart (or less depending on where you point the timeline)...but certainly many things arn't the same
    Haha. This is a good one.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Banned

maybe they dissolved in Qing dynasty?

yeluqi only learnt 15 out of 18, in HSDS the guy only knew 12(or less, cant remember)

in SPW: beggar's union chief Xie feng was a mediocre character whose skills were not even worth mentioning, probably XL18Z and dog beating stick were both Lost by then.

I thought maybe I read a remark here once that the Beggar's Union was still operating during the Qing Dynasty, but under a different name. It was no longer called "Koi Bong," but it was still the same organization (more or less).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I thought maybe I read a remark here once that the Beggar's Union was still operating during the Qing Dynasty, but under a different name. It was no longer called "Koi Bong," but it was still the same organization (more or less).
    which novel was that

Quote Originally Posted by the.raven View Post
    maybe they dissolved in Qing dynasty?

yeluqi only learnt 15 out of 18, in HSDS the guy only knew 12(or less, cant remember)

in SPW: beggar's union chief Xie feng was a mediocre character whose skills were not even worth mentioning, probably XL18Z and dog beating stick were both Lost by then.
    Yelu Qi only learned fourteen but Shi Huolong was a fairly accomplished fighter in HSDS with only twelve, being able to match palms with Cheng Kun. I'm under the impression that he could have learned more if more was available to him. It's no like the XL18P was written down.

Xie Feng was able to casually draw on wood in SPW, and was prominent enough to be invited to Shaolin along with the leaders of other major sects.

To be honest, I don't really want to see the same sects and organisations over and over again in different novels, not even as a passing comment.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    To be honest, I don't really want to see the same sects and organisations over and over again in different novels, not even as a passing comment.
    I see your point, but the wulin landscape changes a little too fast to be coherent in the Ming and Qing Dynasty era novels. At least, that's what I think.

Banned

Yelu Qi only learned fourteen but Shi Huolong was a fairly accomplished fighter in HSDS with only twelve, being able to match palms with Cheng Kun. I'm under the impression that he could have learned more if more was available to him. It's no like the XL18P was written down.

Xie Feng was able to casually draw on wood in SPW, and was prominent enough to be invited to Shaolin along with the leaders of other major sects.
    yu cang hai was invited too, along with a few other no names.